Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pinkyflower

skin depressions from cortisone injections

Hi all, I have had a few cystic pimples in the past and would always get cortisone injections to deal with the issue quickly. I was put on accutane (low dose) twice to deal with these cysts.

Two years after my last accutane dosage, my cysts have come back. I get one like once a month. However, this time around, my skin has formed a depression in the areas where I got the injections. These depression scars look horrible and do not go away. I have had numerous IPLs and chemical peels.

Is there any reason for these depressions? Do any of you know how to "fix" them.

There are some topical acne scar healing agents that they sell. Mederma is one I know of. Your best bet is to ask your derm about it, he or she will probably know.

Hey, I just posted about this too. Assuming the depressions are from cortisone shots themselves, it's called atrophy. I have it on my chin from shot I got about 3 weeks ago. People responded to my post, and most of them said it just takes a while (about 3+ months) for the collagen to fill back up and your skin to level out. So apparently we can play the waiting game together :)

Firstly, do not use mederma. It can actually DECREASE the amount of collagen, worsening the indentation. If you want to put anything on it, put some Retin-A on it or AHA in hopes of stimulating new skin production. Other than that, it's just a waiting game. My "dent" is compeletely level and shows no trace now.

i do not get cortisone injections anymore because I ALWAYS get atrophy (which is worse than the scar i would have gotten naturally). i think it just depends on how your body reacts to the cortisone. i have one i got 7 years ago which is still here.