Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
real maverick

Why it's important to use hot water

Well over the years I've experimented with washing, with both hot and cold water.

Here is how I see it, our skins oily and we often have blocked pores, I do at least, the blocked pores are caused by a build up of oil.

When you wash the dishes and they're full of grease, would you wash them in cold water? or even cool? I imagine not. The water would just run off the grease and even with washing up liquid it would have a job getting the grease off.

So if we're using a mild cleanser and cool water, I don't believe it's going to get rid of the oil build up.

so over the past few weeks I've been experimenting and noting my results.

If I wash with cool water, my pores become blocked within a few days, if I wash with hot water they clear up a little better BUT if I dip my face in hot water for a minute twice a day my pores become very clear within a few days.

I know DKR has this rule to be gentle and for some people that works great, but for those with oily skin and comedogenic acne maybe this will help you out.

Cool, though be sensible and use hot water but not hot enough to actually burn you.

I've found this great for blocked pores, better than scrubs and even better than aha.

I gotta agree with ya in regard to oily skin using hot water (not scalding) to help break up the oil, but for those people experiencing dry skin, probably luke warm is best since hot water can be overly drying for them.

Yup Brandy, definately.

I believe the DKR is a little too simplistic and doesn't take in to account different skin types and different types of acne.

This is definately only for people with oily skin and comedogenic acne.

Whoa! That might explain why now that I take hot showers (winter) my skin is a lot smoother and better looking in general. In the summer I take cold showers even though I'm in an air conditioned building all the time and my skin is always a lot worse.

Thanks for the info!

I think I have combination skin. Would you guys recommend I use luke warm water or hot water?

That's a toughie. You may need to experiment a bit but probably warm would be best.

RM has it right for those of us with super oily skin (like me!) hot water helps dissolve and break down the grease along with your cleanser. I've often thought of the dishwashing scenario he mentioned. Have you ever tried to wash a greasy pan in cool or even lukewarm water? The grease does not dissolve and it just gets smeared around on the pan. Use hot water and you can see the oil dissolve and run right off. I agree with Paul and only recommend washing with hot water if you are oily, it would probably be too drying for combo and dry skin types, imo.

I have skin that's on the dry side, not really prone to comedones at all. I find that hot water dries me out worse, so I have to use lukewarm water, or else my face will be red and blotchy for a long time and extra flaky. I think RM + Brandy are right, you have to adjust the water temperature for your skin's needs.

I think I have combination skin. Would you guys recommend I use luke warm water or hot water?

That's a toughie. You may need to experiment a bit but probably warm would be best.

RM has it right for those of us with super oily skin (like me!) hot water helps dissolve and break down the grease along with your cleanser. I've often thought of the dishwashing scenario he mentioned. Have you ever tried to wash a greasy pan in cool or even lukewarm water? The grease does not dissolve and it just gets smeared around on the pan. Use hot water and you can see the oil dissolve and run right off. I agree with Paul and only recommend washing with hot water if you are oily, it would probably be too drying for combo and dry skin types, imo.