Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Panic!!

One stubborn pimple and this dry weather!!

Hey guys,

I joined this board about a year ago and although I'm lucky to have clear skin 95% of the time, every winter specifically January, my skin gets angry with me..LOL

Basically the weather has been extremely dry and cold (by Southern California standards at least 35-40 at night is cold to me!!) and as a result my skin is dry and looks tired. I feel like this weather is preventing my skin from properly exfoliating the dead layer of skin at the surface, which is resulting in dry skin and a couple of blemishes here and there. I feel like I need a good exfoliater?? Any suggestions for someone with normal to dry skin?? What's funny about this is its only in January that my skin acts like this??? Don't get me wrong, I'll get the ocassional pimple here and there, but in January my entire face looks dry, tired and unhealthy. I just bought an over the counter exfoliater that is "gentle" so I might use that unless I hear some better suggestions from you guys. I also moisturize with Neutrogena Oil-free moisturizer. In the night I use Proactive. I know A LOT of members on this board have had bad experiences with it, but it works very well for me.

I was on a pretty strict skin routine for a while, but pretty much tapered off all the little things I was doing because I was staying clear. But over the past month I had a few pimples so I got worried and started getting back into my skin routine. Basically what I do is eat plenty of greens and fruits. Avoid red meat, dairy etc. Drink over half a gallon of water a day, use the steam room after my workout 3-4x a week. I also take plenty of vitamins; B5, ALA, Ester-C, Zinc and a multi-vitamin. I just went back on this routine a few days ago and I feel like its definitely made a difference but my skin is still a bit dry.

My second problem concerns the one stubborn pimple I currently have. I believe it might be a cyst. Its on my neck off to the side and was pretty painful and red when it appeared nearly two weeks ago. The pain went away and it appeared to have a white head, but when I tried to gently squeeze at it, I didn't have any luck so I stopped before it got ugly...LOL Since that time the redness has pretty much gone away, its reduced in size, but its still there. Its one of those pimples that doesn't come to the surface, but instead stays under-neath and it doesn't seem like it wants to leave anytime soon. Any suggestions on what I can do about that? I'm not certain if its a cyst or just a pimple that is underneath the surface, but I would love to hear some tips to get rid of it ASAP. I've been putting some 2.5% BP on it, but I don't think its doing much.

I was considering getting some Green Cream when I was on the board since it was highly recommended. Would that help or am I getting a little bit in over my head?? If some one could explain the benefits of Retinoids I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help.

it sounds to me like you shouldn't freak out and just let it pass on its own.....if you start putting crap on your face it could make it worse!

it sounds to me like you shouldn't freak out and just let it pass on its own.....if you start putting crap on your face it could make it worse!

Your right Fugi. I'm not freaking out too bad since its only one pimple, but the dry skin is irritating.

Anyone have any suggestions for me????

Your right Fugi. I'm not freaking out too bad since its only one pimple, but the dry skin is irritating.

Anyone have any suggestions for me????

I use Nivea for Men face scrub and sensitive skin moisturizer and it does the trick pretty well.

Well I moisturize twice a day sometimes since the weather's been so blaaaaahh, but I've heard that dry skin is more of a sign of poor exfoliation, than actual dryness. When I say my skin is dry, I'm not talking about a few dry spots. I'm talking about very very dry skin, where a few small bits of skin can flake off if I scratch or rub at my skin.