Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DAY 0 (01/26/07) 8.00 PM

I’m a 30 yr old Asian Indian from Atlanta about to get married in March. Like any other bride-to-be, my New Year resolution was to improve my physical appearance in prep for my wedding. So I did a lot of research on chemical peels and decided to use a 10% TCA peel the first time. I bought the 30% TCA kit from makeupartist.com. (I work at a research lab and TCA/ phenol/Baking Soda etc are all readily available…lol) So I had the 30% TCA diluted out to a 10%, washed my skin with the Green tea soap provided in he kit, and began to apply the acid…wow..it burned real bad…so bad I could have passed out. Now….the first mistake I made …I didn’t do a spot test….The second mistake….after 5 minutes of keeping the first layer..I re-layered my skin a second time with 10% TCA. …and this time I started to cry with the burning sensation….After five minutes, my skin began to frost…I applied the neutralizer and splashed plenty of cold water on my face. The burning sensation gradually faded…but by the end of the hour I started to see a red/dark discoloration appear all over my face like I was developing a huge tan. By the end of the night my skin had turned really dark, almost purple like I had gotten severe burns from the treatment. I must mention that I had very little discomfort though, just a little tingly sensation. Anyway I applied Neosporin that night to keep my skin moisturized. I didn’t sleep well at all that night.

DAY 1 (01/27/07)

OMG…I woke up and looked at myself in the mirror and was horrified with what I saw. My skin had turned purple/black…I thought I had a severe case of hyperpigmentation. Have the double TCA peels burn my skin? I was afraid. I kept my skin moisturized the whole day. I didn’t sleep well last night as well

DAY 2 (01/28/07)

I woke up at 4.00am this morning, and started to read all the sites on the internet that spoke of their scary experiences with TCA peels. Some posts on the sites were very helpful, very descriptive with photos attached. I must say that I was a little relieved when I got to know that I wasn’t the only case. I’ve attached a pic of myself taken this morning.

Its now 10.00pm and I’ve just applied some copper peptide serum on my face. There seems to be no peeling…just tightness in the skin when I wash it. I have to go back to the lab tomorrow or my advisor’s going to kick my butt. And the worst of all, my fiancé works in Alaska, and I have made plans to fly across the country to be with him on his B’day. And that happens be Friday, the 2nd of Feb. Yikes!!! Pray for me guys. I’ll keep you posted with pictures.

post-54105-1170040352_thumb.jpg

post-54105-1170040352_thumb.jpg

your skin looked flawless before the procedure....

do you have any scars at all?

No, I had no scars....just very small amounts of hyper pigmentation below my eyes....and 2 chicken pox scabs that were small but noticeable. I intended to get this peel done so that my skin would look fresh and rejuvenated.....

Im Indian too...23 yr old male, and I did a full 30% on my scalp...to support my theory on hairloss...anyway, it hurt BADLY...but the pain went down substantially after about 10 minutes

the MOST important thing to do, is stay OUT of the sun and keep your skin moisturized (ie neosporin/vitamin e)...taking vitamin c ester and zinc will help with healing and reducing chance of infection

good luck and hope all goes well for you :)

Thanks guys for all the tips..yep..I'm keeping my skin moist..and havent been out in the sun much...(and have spf 30 on )well..i woke up in the morning and saw that the skin around my chin was just beginning to peel. It hasnt peeled much at the end of the day...but its getting there slowly but surely. I'm just praying that all of the dark layers come off and I am not left with hyperpigmentation. Also, I faced a real humiliating day at work....the looks I got were fascinating..some of them loked terrified...anyway....I'll post my pictures tomorrow...

dont pick at it when it starts to scab. just let it heal on its own. should take 2 weeks or so to get your skin back to normal. it was a low percentage peel and you didnt leave it on for that long, so there shouldnt be any skin damage.

I am from the sub continent aswell, i have had two tca peels (25% & 20%), i had similar scabbing as u currently have. Both the times it came out perfectly, you have nothing to worry about.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. It took a few days for my skin to peel after I used 10% TCA. I didn't get any hyperpigmentation, but My skin is very pale anyhow. It did feel very hard and dry before it finally peeled away.

Just tell your fiance that you did a mild peel and you're still healing from it. I am sure he will understand.

I was nervous during my peel, too because my skin frosted a bit and it didn't frost when I did my test spot.

All I can say is that you have guts doing a TCA peel yourself.

I've had 3 done at 35% strength by my dermatologist and there are warnings a doctor tells you that don't appear on a do-it-yourself product.

1. When I was scheduled to have my face, throat and chest done (all done seperately), I was prescribed Valtrex to prevent cold sores that may or may not appear. If you've had the chicken pox (herpes zoster), that virus remains in you forever and could come out at any time as Shingles or cold sores.

2. The TCA done on my face caused impetigo on my chin and left cheek. If I had done this myself, I would have never known what was happening. Because I had to return to the dermatologist's office the following day (routine, at least in his office), he was able to diagnose and prescribe medication (topical). Impetigo is contagious and could have spread to others.

3. All the TCA peels I've had done were VERY painful. I was prescribed one (1) Valium and five (5) Vicodin for the pain-before AND afterwards. Thirty (30) minutes before the procedure, I took the Valium and one of the Vicodin. Even then, I felt the fire. And, a first layer of a 20% Jessner's glycolic acid was applied, then the 35% TCA.

I KNOW it's cheaper to DIY, and I am not wealthy-I live on a pension. But I would rather pay the money out to a professional than risk screwing up my skin, which is already screwed up enough.

Well after 5 days post treatment, I can finally say that I like what I see. .. My skin is peeling now..and its sloughing off rather nicely. ..I am hoping it will all come off by the weekend. But I'm enjoying the fresh pink skin thats become visible. ..although I'm walking around my lab looking like a burn patient.

I didnt know what I was thinking when I did it the TCA at home...especially with my darker skin tone.. but I think what was tougher for me was going around looking like ET these last few days...haha....

post-54105-1170308036_thumb.jpg

post-54105-1170308036_thumb.jpg

What you experienced with TCA is perfectly normal. As you can see, all that discoloration peels off after a few days.

I've done several 12% TCA peels, and all went well. Higher strengths (over 20%) can be risky, however.