Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
webstar

A Question For Dan

I have to apply BP to my entire face and have noticed the time it taking to do so being around 10-12 minutes. My question to Dan is... do you think that this is too much?

Having seen dermatologists from the absolute beginning of my onset of acne, I always knew to be gentle when applying a topical or even washing my face, so that is not a problem. However, it takes that long for the gel to absorb - and not completely. Should I attempt to cut the time down to say... a 5-7 minute process and simply leave a film on? It will dry in the 15-minute wait that I use before applying my moisturizer. I see that you only apply the BP around your mouth and chin - that I could see being done in a few minutes - but not the entire face.

What is your opinion / advice on this?

Dan only applies the BP where he is acne prone, which is around his mouth and chin. I'm more of a "get acne all over my face", so I spread the BP all over my face. But if you've found you have only trouble areas, you might do better just applying BP there.

10-12 minutes does seem a bit long, maybe you're applying too much BP or else not being firm enough? I don't see the inherent problem, though, in taking that long (it might even be a good thing), but most people don't have quite that long to expend on that part of the regimen.

It takes me 10-12 minutes for my entire face as well. Although with my recent success, or lack there of with the regimen, I'm not sure if thats a good thing

It takes me 10-12 minutes for my entire face as well. Although with my recent success, or lack there of with the regimen, I'm not sure if thats a good thing

Hi, I am Susan, I'm working with Dan and he is sitting here with me, introduncing me to the Message Boards, so we are replying to this together! Have you watched the videos at http://www.acne.org/viedo.html? That's about how long it shouuld take. The longer it takes, the more you end up touching your face and the more potential for irritation. Try to follow the method Dan uses in the video as close as you can. Goodluck!

Susan

Hi, I am Susan, I'm working with Dan and he is sitting here with me, introduncing me to the Message Boards, so we are replying to this together! Have you watched the videos at http://www.acne.org/viedo.html? That's about how long it shouuld take. The longer it takes, the more you end up touching your face and the more potential for irritation. Try to follow the method Dan uses in the video as close as you can. Goodluck!

Susan

It seems to me from personal experience that the longer you take, the better the results. I usually take 4-5 minutes just for my mouth/chin area.

I am skeptical about the 'longer you take, the potential for more irritation' idea. The faster you go, it seems like the harder and more irritating you are being on your skin. If you take awhile, you are rubbing more more lightly and barely touching your skin (if you are even touching it at all-- most of the time I am just moving the BP around and not even touching my skin). I also use about a whole finger of BP just on my mouth/chin area. With such a thick coating on top of my skin, I can rub it around for a good 3-4 minutes without even touching my skin. Once it starts to seap in during the last minute or so I barely touch my skin.

This is just from my personal expierience. If you are seeing results with your method, keep doing it. If you plateau out and are not satisfied with your progress, try changing it. I see much better results the longer I take. It doesn't seem to me as though you can 'take too long.' Taking 'too little time' seems to be much more irritating to my skin.

I think several factors here will affect how long it takes to apply the gel:

1) How much gel you're using--this should be obvious. A little blob of gel will spread out thinly and absorb into your skin very quickly, a full finger length will need to be spread around more and pressed into the skin to absorb, which takes more time.

2) How dry your skin is when you apply it. If I've just washed my face and patted it dry but haven't let it completely air dry before applying the gel, it takes several more minutes from just the tiny amount of residual water on my skin! Letting your face air dry for a couple minutes after you've patted it dry makes a huge difference.

3) How dry the air is in the room where you apply it. It only takes me 4-5 minutes to apply the BP in the winter when the air is dry, but in the summer, double that time from all the humidity. Don't apply the BP in a bathroom after someone has just showered or anything like that, too, since the water content of the air will be really high and make the BP take longer to completely absorb.

4) Whether you apply the amount that you apply just in a couple of problem areas or all over your face. I think this one is easy to visualize: imagine you have a jar of frosting. If you use the whole thing to frost just the top of the cake, you will have a very thick layer of frosting on top. If you use the whole thing also on the sides of the cake and in between layers, then then layer of frosting will be thinner everywhere. Basically, a half finger of BP gel used just on your chin will take longer to get to absorb than that same half finger used on the rest of your face.

5) The kind of pressure you apply to your skin when applying the BP gel. If you use light pressure, you glide the gel around your face without really pushing it into the skin, and so it will take longer to absorb than if you were to rub your face harder and use more than just your fingertips to press the gel into the skin. I think any kind of pressure from super light to medium should be fine as long as you are gentle, but you do what you personally prefer.

You can adjust the time it takes to apply BP by modifying any of these factors. Just be sure you do so in a way that is non-irritating.

For me, it takes about 5 minutes to apply BP to my whole face. I go gently, but not as gently as Dan says. I think the whole going so gently that you can't see your skin move is stressing it a little too much. It's been working for me, so it's something I'll stick with. If taking longer works for you, by all means, take longer.