Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASUfan17

I'm Pretty Sure the Regimen has Stopped Working for Me

I posted this in the DKR Gel and Cleanser Forum as well, but I realized I might get better advice in this forum so sorry for the repost Im just trying to get as much help as possible...

I started this Regimen back in April or so. I started off using Purpose Cleansing Bar, a 5% perscription BP and Eucerin Intensive Repair Lotion with AhA. I also spot treated with tiny amounts of Retin-A micro It worked somewhat and my skin was improving, but I was still getting some acne.

In August I switched to Dan's Cleanser, Dans BP and Lac Hydrin 5 lotion. Still doing the spot treating with tiny amounts of Retin-A Micro. It worked the best of anything so far, most days I didnt have to worry about my acne very much. But lately (I'll say since around December 27th or 28th) my skin has just been getting progressively worse. the right side of my face looks horrible now, I have about 7-9 active pimples alone there. Not to mention that my nose looks so bad it would make rudolph blush...

Around when it started getting bad, I added JoJoba oil to my regimen which I think only made it worse, So I've since eliminated it from my regimen. I used it for about 3 weeks. Then about two weeks ago I tried adding sudocrem to my regimen. The sudocrem dried my skin on terribly and I think was the main contributor to my nose looking like garbage.

But now I've been back to my normal regimen that i used for 7 or 8 months and I'm still not seeing any improvement. Unless someone here can tell me something that I'm doing horribly wrong, I think I'm going to have to try accutane for the first time. I don't think I'd be able to get ahold of accutane until sometime in march when I'm home for spring break, so I guess I have to stick it out with the regimen until then.

Oh, and my past history with acne regimens and stuff. In mid December of 2005 i went to the derm for the first time. She gave me a 5% BP, Differn gel and Tertacycline. It didnt do much to improve my skin, only improved about 10-15% I'd say. So I went back and she gave me 5% BP gel, Retin-A Micro, and Minocycline(sp?). It worked better than the first batch of stuff. It improved my face about 60%, but it sort of reached a stopping point and didn't work anymore. So I ditched the derm's advice and started following the regimen.

This is really killing me though. Im extremely stressed out and depressed about the surging return of my acne, I didn't think it would ever come back like this. As dumb as it sounds, I've broke down crying to myself a couple of times the past couple of days about it. I've done so much to get rid of this acne, and its STILL HERE and almost as bad as ever. I've altered my social life, bent over backwards and done just about everything imagineable with this regimen and now its just completely stopped working. I know it shouldnt be that big of a deal, but I'm an extremely self concious person when it comes to acne. My will and spirit are broken, I think I need something new

If it is effecting you like this, I would suggest requesting Accutane. I was just prescribed it for persistent mild acne. Is there a specific reason why you would have to wait until spring break?

Well, I go to school in Arizona, but my home is in pennsylvania. My derm is back at Pa and all my insurance stuff with parents is set up back there. But I think I might go to one of my friends derms out here if we can get the insurance stuff worked out.

Hi ASUfan,

I feel your frustration.

In these circumstances, we usually recommend going back to the bare bones Regimen, and use the products that initially got you clear. Be sure you aren't skimping on the bp, and make extra sure you are being super gentle.

Also read here: http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

Give it another month or so after getting back to the original products to get your skin back under control. In the meantime, see what the derm has to say when you get an appointment. If your acne has moved beyond mild/moderate, the Regimen just may not be enough anymore.