Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aknute

Finally A Cure....hopefully

Hey Everybody.

Just thought I would start a log about my experience that I am going through with Accutane. My acne is just on my face...a little on my back but nothing to be worried about. It is moderate most of the time but you know there are ups and downs. I will post up some pictures in my gallery once I have this whole thing figured out. I started accutane on January 22, 2007. I am taking 40mg once a day for my first month. We will then decide what to do from there. iPledge is a hassle and a waste of time but I guess I will do anything to finally get rid of this acne. I am really nervous about this whole idea. I don't want permanent side effects or the other side effects either I guess but I just don't want it to get unberable. Here is how its going so far:

Day 1:

Took first dose at dinner...nothing happening yet haha

Day 2:

Nothing yet...

Day 3:

Drier lips and sore back (not sure if that is related)

Day 4:

Small breakout on my right cheek but nothing too bad

Dry Lips

Sore Back

Tired

Day 5:

Small breakout on ear?! Don't think I've had one there before. Its a small painful one.

Skin feeling less oily

Dry Lips

Day 6:

Dry lips

Dry eyes

Small breakout on chin...nothing horrible again though

Everyday all I have been doing is taking accutane and using vasoline on my lips. Since now I am feeling more of the side effects I am going to go out tomorrow to find a good cleanser and moustrizor along with something else for my lips and eyedrops. I'll try to keep this updated. I'm really scared and I want to be able to continue with this the whole way through so bad. I'm mainly worried about my blood tests....I just don't want anything to go wrong...

Guest Mankind

Your acne sound very similar to what mine was like. Mild to moderate to some cysts occasionally. Don't get too worked up about the blood tests, you should be fine.

I am from the UK and took Roaccutane from September 2005 to February 2006 at 80mg per day and it did wonders for my acne.

Accutane was the 'cure' I had been searching for. Don't get me wrong it was a bumpy six months - the initial breakout, dry rashes on back and arms, sweating a lot at night, etc, etc. But it was def. worth it.

Since then I only get tiny pimples every now and then that clear in a day or so (very unnoticeable and nothing to worry about) and I feel pretty happy with my face.

But be careful about using face washes while on accutane. Use most gentle ones possible if any, I used one and it made my face super dry with mini-breakout. Also, beware that you might get red marks that last longer as your skin will take longer to heal.

I wish you the best of luck with everything and hope you are happy with the results you will more than likely achieve.

Well its day 7. Finally I have one week under my belt. Nothing to major to report. My skin is actually looking a little bit better I'd say. My lips are very chapped so I just went out and bought some blistex and more vasoline. My skin is starting to be drier than it was so I bought some Dove Body Wash good for sensitive skin. I also bought Deep Moisture Creamy Facial Cleanser and Dove Deep Moisture Facial Lotion with SPF. I am going to start using these and see what happens. I might end up switching to Cetaphil but we'll see. My eyes are getting drier and I have a little bit of back pain but nothing to really complain about. I think I might be a little paranoid with all of these side affects. Every kind of medicine has side effects right?

hey aknute. thanks for posting on my log. i hope accutane works well for you and you are clear for life! good luck.

just curious, i know it's important to have a fatty meal in the morning when taking accutane (for absorption). what do you eat for breakfast?

Day 8...and bring on the side effects. Today has been the worst day so far. My lower back has been a little bit sore, really chapped lips, dry skin on my face that is noticable and a tiny nose bleed. Yikes. Well I can't wait to see what else accutane has in store for me. My skin is actually getting better though. I feel a big one coming on on my right cheek and forehead but hopefully they will dry up fast. We'll see. I'll post up pictures every friday to see if it is actually getting any better. I sure hope this works!

Day 9...just took my pill with lunch. I had some toast and pb. My lips are really dry, my eyes feel dry, and it feels like my skin is going to crack, which causes me to itch it which is a no no. Meh...nothing to horrible happening though. Bring on the day!

Is the Vaseline helping your lips at all? My lips were dry when I started tane, but since using Vaseline they have slowly started to get better. I use the Blistex Complete Moisture as well. I don't think it does as much as the Vaseline, but it does help my lips to at least feel less dry.

Continuing from earlier...my skin is so dry...its getting to be itchy too. Gross. I am ready for this accutane to work. Its going to be a long night

Hey your chin up, i'm sure it will get easier further in.

I'm going to the doctor next week to get a referral. I'm 21 and have had mild acne on my face and back for the last 3 years. I'll be sure to keep an eye on you! x

I'm on my 10th day...yes I got through my first box of this stuff. Things are still pretty much the same. Small breakout on my chin but nothing compared to what I usually would get which is good. Dry lips, eyes, skin...normal stuff. Nothing to much. Pretty exciting over here. I go back to school on Monday so I am a little nervous about the stress level and break outs because I just love being home. Love having my own room and coaching swimming. At school my roommate is very interesting, the classes are hard, and all I really do is look forward to the next time I can come home. Ugh. Its going to be a hard transitions. Havent noticed mood swings too bad with this med but I can only imagine what is to come. Have a great night everybody!

11th Day! Nothing to much to report. Dry skin and lips. The break out on my chin yesterday is already starting to dry up. I'll add pictures tomorrow about whats going on. Small rash on my arms but hey what can you do?! I'm just ready for this to be over already. Ugh.

11th Day! Nothing to much to report. Dry skin and lips. The break out on my chin yesterday is already starting to dry up. I'll add pictures tomorrow about whats going on. Small rash on my arms but hey what can you do?! I'm just ready for this to be over already. Ugh.

Thank you so much for the advice!

I have a goal for tomorrow....actually drink as much water as I am suppose too. I am really horrible at drinking enough water...I usually have only 2-3 glasses a day. Tomorrow I am going to go for a whole eight glasses! I just think it tastes to bland....but I love to drink milk. Probably going to end up substituting water for milk. We'll see how it goes....

12th Day! Almost two weeks in. Wow. My skin is looking better already too. No new break outs to report but the couple I have on my chin from earlier and slowly...very slowly.....drying out. My skin is getting drier everyday. I just bought Cetaphil Lotion so we'll see how that works out for me. The goal for the day isnt quite there yet but theres still a few more hours. I have drank 4 glasses of water. Still better than normal so thats good. My lips are actually not as dry as they were a couple of days ago...maybe its the vaseline working...how exciting is that?! Well I am off to see the movie Because I Said So with some friends and I couldnt be more excited. This movie looks so good. I will post some pics up tonight when I get back without my make up on. My acne never has stopped me from hanging out with friends...just made me pretty shy. Hope everybody is doing well!!!

It's good you're trying to drink more water! I have been lately too (even though I'm not on Accutane yet) and using something like a Nalgene bottle help because you can see how many ounces/liters you've drank, and you'd be surprised how much easier it is to monitor what you've been drinking :) Congrats about almost reaching your 2nd week!

Day 16. Sorry I havent updated in a while. Just started school again and its pretty sweet. I hate having to take this medicine though. Its really starting to dry out my skin. My lips are like bright red and it looks like I am wearing lip stick. Thats about it for side effects though. Also some shoulder pain but that might just be from carrying my backpack around. Nothing really new with break outs though. Still trying to get rid of the ones I have. Meh. Time for some more reading.

Hey Everybody! So sorry I havent been updating, life has been crazy here back at school. Well today was my day 30 and really all that has changed is that i have very dry skin and chapped lips. I think my acne is getting better but its hard when I'm just used to seeing my face like this to know when it is getting better. I had my appt yesterday and my doc says things are looking really good so far. Starting tomorrow I am going to be taking 1 40mg with breakfast and 3 10mg with dinner. So nervous about the dry skin and side effects though. Hopefully its nothing to bad. I'll try to put up pics soon.

Thanks for posting on my log, and congrats on getting upgraded to 70mg! :dance:

I wouldn't really worry about more side effects. I'm on 80mg and my side effects are minimal. Just make sure to moisturize and protect your lips, but you already knew that. :razz:

You'll have clear skin soon. I keep reading that people see dramatic improvements after about 2 and a half months. If so, then we're both almost there. I can't wait! :)

Two and a half months! How amazing would that be if things improved by mid march. Nothing really new to report. I did have a big one pop up by my hair line yesterday but it is already starting to dry up. I think I only really have four or five that are active and the rest are slowly dying and turning into red spots. I'm just ready to be clear. I have an interview for this group here on campus a week from today...lets hope I dont get an ib. I have to get going on this paper about parmaceutical drugs...this should be a good one to talk about. Hope everybody is going well!

Really bad breakout. Wow. I just want to hide. I havent had one this bad in a while. Its probably an IB from switching from 40mg a day to 70mg I am guessing. I was really going to take pictures today but I'm going to give it a week and then take some. Almost a month and a half in I am ready for this stuff to start working!

Hey Everybody! Sorry I haven't been on here regularly. Midterms are coming up so I have a lot of homework I should be doing. Just so you guys know I do come on here time to time just to check up and see whats going on with you. Sounds like everything is going well for most of you!

So I did have a very bad break out but my face is calming down. Of course picking is such a habit so I did that with a couple of them and now they are just flat red marks which I know is not good so I am working on that. I am hoping that this should really start helping by spring break, first week in April and by then I will have been on Accutane for about two and a half months. I am taking 70mg a day now.

My lips are really chapped along with very dry skin and other than those norms since I have started 70mg I have become more tired and had a harder time concentrating. I have been more down lately too. My next appt is on the 19th and I do not want to stop tane or lower my dose so I'm not sure if I should tell my derm about all of this. Let me know what you think. That would be awesome! Thanks guys!

p.s. i just figured out that this is my 50th day!! time is just flying but i wish it would work faster!

Hi aknute! It sounds like you may be through your IB...even though you've been on tane a while, your dose changed. I've read that you can have a breakout when you change your dose. Hopefully you're through all of that now.

Your lowered concentration may go away soon. Did you have it when you started tane back in January? If so, you might want to tell your derm about it. If you've had a hard time concentrating since changing your dose, then you may want to wait it out.

When you say that you've been "down," do you mean that you are feeling depressed? If you do, it's important that you don't want to do anything to hurt yourself. If that's the case, then you should tell your derm immediately. If you just feel upset and somewhat sad, then you don't really have to tell your derm. They might freak out and take you off of tane completely. We all have periods of time in which we feel down and depressed, but as long as we don't think about hurting ourselves, everything should be fine. Do you have a lot going on right now that might make you feel upset? I know exams can be stressful, but maybe they are the things that are making you feel down. There could be tons of reasons why you might feel depressed, not just tane.

If you feel a little down, I say just tough it out. It won't be much longer until you're clear and off of tane...and think about how happy that will make you. :D

BTW, I have felt down since starting tane myself, but I have a lot of different things going on right now that could be causing it. I also do not think about hurting myself, so I believe I should be okay with not telling my derm my private business.

Sorry to give you such a monster post, but the correlation between accutane and depression isn't exactly rock solid (at least, that's what I've heard, and that's what my derm told me). Derms want to limit their liability, so if you want to hurt yourself, they will probably take you off of tane, and for good reason. You should be just fine keeping your sad feelings to yourself if this is not the case.

I hope that helps!

Good luck on your exams! :)