Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zezima

What to do? Accutane?

Hey guys.. Ive been reading around for like the last month. I think I have severe acne. About once or twice a week I get a huge pimple (like huge lol) and it stays for like a week .. comes to a head ( most of the time ).... I pop it... and it gets smaller and goes away. Sometimes it stays longer though.. I have one that hasnt gone away in like 1 year almost. Its not to awful at the moment.. But bad still.

I have tried every possible thing.. diet, regimes, BP, on the spot stuff, ect... BUT I havn't tried accutane.

What do you guys think?

Could someone also tell me what exactly accutane does (does it get rid of redmarks.. clear cysts.. ect..).. Also if the side effects are somthing I should be worried about. ( i hear it can be dangerous).

Thanks so much!

i think you should take accutane.

Accutane works by shrinking the oil glands and normalizing pore function. normal side effects are dryness and chapped lips, sometimes soreness. it can cause birth deffects so you have to use 2 forms of birth control while you are on it, if you are female. it can also cause depression in some people, and elevated cholesterol or triglycerides while you are taking it. I recommend it because it is extremely effective for most people.

Hi I am about to start a 4-6 month accutane prescription which I hope will help because acne is screwing up mylife and potential in so many areas, I have some scarring on my face will accutane help with that or do I need seperate treatment, I also heard that when starting accutane acne gets worse before it gets better, when I can expect to see some results, and what is the typical price range my insurance doesnt cover it. Thanks

1) Accutane helping with scars is generally a myth, it shouldn't do much if anything for them. If they're bothering you or bad scars you can have laser treatments (but they're expensive), though wait till after accutane for them.

2) It may get worse if you start on a high dose; lower doses (20mg for example) tend not to bring such a big if any initial breakout. Again, if you're worried about that, ask your derm to start you low and gradually build up.

3) Results are a mixed bunch; could be 2~ months, could be the entire course. You'll definitely notice a reduction in oil or active spots during the course, and it should either be totally or nearly clear at the end, or will clear shortly after.

4) Not sure on prices as i'm in the UK

i wish I only had a pimple. lol

I hope to get on accutane too, Look at my pics, I have severe acne,

But doesnt stop me from livin life to the fullest!