Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all.

Over the past couple months I've debated where my acne may be coming from and I've realized the only places it's occurring are where I shave, mainly around my mouth. Basically all I get are "pimples" from ingrown hairs, infected hairs (they appear that way), and deeper lesions which eventually erect a hair. I'll also get smaller pimples (usually just one) on my cheek bones which also end up being ingrown hairs.

Since I began to wash (I use Spectro Jel every night) any of the acne I got on my cheeks went away and all that are left now are red marks which are slowly fading over time. I also use a two-bladed razor (gillette) and swap between a gel shaving cream and a foam shaving cream (both gillette). I also drink more than enough water in a day, eat healthy, etc.

Swimming in my pool over the summer basically made me forget what acne was until the weather made a turn for the worse so that's why I'm pretty sure my acne has nothing to do with hormones, and I'm out of my teens (I'm well aware of adult acne).

I've attached a picture of my mouth area for people to understand what I'm describing. Again, I fortunately haven't had a new pimple on my cheeks since I started to wash it's just in this area all the time.

I'm just wondering if anyone has suffered from the same thing or has had success with certain products and this issue. My next step is to go talk to a dermatologist but I figure experience knows best.

post-52735-1169839043_thumb.jpg

post-52735-1169839043_thumb.jpg

i used to break out after shaving too, i switched to electric and its been under control since then, but i know Dan recommends the gillette sensor excel.

i used to break out after shaving too, i switched to electric and its been under control since then, but i know Dan recommends the gillette sensor excel.

My advice to the topic creator... I, being half Persian, grow a lot of facial hair. I use Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave Gel. It's relatively cheap ($2-3) and can be found anywhere (Walmart, Target, etc). I also use the Fusion razor (the one with the 5 blades). My advice to you is to change your razor head often. Yes, replacement razor heads are expensive (it's like $12 bucks for 4 of them) but you would be surprised how well a new, clean razor will work wonders on your face. I noticed that when I shaved with a used razor I would grow bumps in the places I shaved. Also another thing i noticed (in my case), the places where all my facial hair has grown out (like the chin), I don't get acne in those areas anymore. It's areas that are starting to grow more facial hair that I get acne. I hope this makes sense.

Also, 1 more thing. Shave GENTLY and then shower and make sure you get a lot of hot water on your face. It cleans your pores out. Also, don't go using whatever thing you use to control your acne right after you shave. That's a big no-no. Wait an hour or so before you do that.

Guest max_powers585
Also, 1 more thing. Shave GENTLY and then shower and make sure you get a lot of hot water on your face. It cleans your pores out. Also, don't go using whatever thing you use to control your acne right after you shave. That's a big no-no. Wait an hour or so before you do that.

Yea, the shaver I use is basically the sensor excel. I replace the blade every 2-3 shaves, but I guess maybe I should do it more frequently.

It varies. This will go away and it may be a month(or sooner) before it gets THIS bad again, but there is always an ingrown/infected area no matter what in that region. Again for the longest time I just figured it was acne but when I found out about PFB/Razor bumps I realized there's a good chance that might be it. I tried the 1 bladed razor (disposables) and you're seeing the result right now.

I guess I'll check out the drugstore then for some aloe vera and give that a shot, and I'll replace the blade daily. If anyone has any other advice I'm all ears. I'll probably make an appointment with my doctor as well.

I also just get acne in the regions that I shave but I do not have a lot of facial hair.

I used to shave about once in three days but now I do it once a day and I'm seeing a huge improvement. I shave using a Mach 3 and a cheap face cleanser for sensitive skin because I think shaving foam breaks me out a bit.

The strange part is, like w00terz mentioned, I also just get acne in the places my facial hair is not growing very quick yet. For example, my chin and the bottom corners of my cheeks get very little acne because my face hair grows fast there. The part on the left and right of my chin however is very acne prone and grows no facial hair as far as I can feel.

Yea, the shaver I use is basically the sensor excel. I replace the blade every 2-3 shaves, but I guess maybe I should do it more frequently.

It varies. This will go away and it may be a month(or sooner) before it gets THIS bad again, but there is always an ingrown/infected area no matter what in that region. Again for the longest time I just figured it was acne but when I found out about PFB/Razor bumps I realized there's a good chance that might be it. I tried the 1 bladed razor (disposables) and you're seeing the result right now.

I guess I'll check out the drugstore then for some aloe vera and give that a shot, and I'll replace the blade daily. If anyone has any other advice I'm all ears. I'll probably make an appointment with my doctor as well.

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the exact same problem and I've tried almost everything. I've used both electric shavers (Norelco rotary and Panasonic foil) and blades (double and single blade) to no avail. I've also tried all kinds of different shaving creams and gels. If you've found any type of resolution to your problem, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Please look into a circular 3 head electric shaver. It is worth it. The cut isn't as close but it's worth it to spare irritation.