Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpio8647

How do you feel better again about yourself??

I mean, I'm really trying hard to feel better about me regardless of the scarred face but it's really depressing & I've gotten obsessed.I wish I was like myself 5 years ago... where I had not a care in the world & I was happy & confident. High school is pretty hard for me... I can't make good grades.... I have lots of friends but no one really understands what I am going through... Everyone tells me to get over it & it's not that bad but I am really angry and frustrated with myself.My self-esteem has gotten so low.... I'm tired of feeling like I'm worthless and I'm nothing.... I hate going somewhere fun like to six flags,parties,movies without constantly thinking about my face or complexion the whole time. I think this acne has really beaten me and after 6 years of fighting... I'm getting weaker & tired.I'm 17 & I've had acne since I was 11. The acne stopped around 15 but the scarring left what it seems like permanent damage since nothing seems to work.Sometimes my mood changes... some days I can feel confident, other days I start feeling low about my face again..... Anyone else feeling the same.....

Scorpio, you are still young yet! The good news for you is that whatever you do for your acne and scars will work much better than whatever I do. I've had acne and scars since I was 10 and that was about 23 years ago!

If you can do it I would really suggest saving up and doing the Smoothbeam. The younger ones who are doing this are getting great results, both with drying up the acne and plumping up the scars.

Maybe see if your parents will help because this is one of the most important things a parent can do for their kid. Trust me.....my kids are never gonna have to go through what I've gone through complexion wise just because I know how damaging to your self-image it is.

Gosh, I just wish I could give all the parents out there a good shaking for not taking this condition more seriously!

sad.gif

Yup.

I get days where I think i'm the ugliest person ever and want to just die. I've never heard anyone call me ugly, but it's what I think that matters. And what I think isn't so good.

Maybe you should all realise how much other people auctally think about you. From my expierence in high school most could careless.

Like I said, Phoenix, it's what I think. And i'm 28, long out of hs wink.gif Maybe i'm just vain, but I hate any parts of me that aren't nice looking. My face is just one of them.

As to what I do to make myself feel better? Wait until tomorrow.

Hey Scorpio, some days I feel just like you. I am slowly becoming tired and weary of this problem. I've been battling this problem since i was about 13 and am now 24. I too constantly think about my face and when I sit down I try to face certain ways and cover areas in which are completely broken out. Some days I feel extremely confident and others I just want to die and be alone.

I have the same problem but i consider it more extreme since i suffer from social anxiety as well and my scars make it really hard for me to go outside, i feel like a freak that everyone is constantly looking at me. Weekends are the greatest to me, since i do not have to work and I just stay inside the house all the time. I am 35 years old and i have no one, this really sucks, sometimes i wonder if this is it, just waiting to die! sad.gif

I wish i did not care so much about my face at all and a lot of other things.

3dpimple

I've always been really shy, after I got married my husband was in the Army for almost 7 yrs, that was about 10 months ago that he got out. It's been that long since I worked and moving so much I never made friends, so basically i've been home for over 7 yrs. It takes a toll and i've withdrawn so much.

So yes, 3d, I feel ya sad.gif

dude, you just gotta look in the mirror and say to yourself " you only live once.... this minor skin condition (which WILL go away with a little more effort) isnt going to ruin my teenage years " I feel like such a bastard as i have such minor acne problem, just a few marks here n there n the ocasional break out of 2 to 3 spots now n again, and i read about so many people on here with acne 100 times worse than me....anyway off the point but anyway...its hard dude but you really can't let it take control.

BE BRAVE!

defiently talk to your parents about it, i really lucky in that sense as my dad does everything for me to try n help my skin (even though i make it out to be so much worse than it is) hes a pharmacist and owns a 4 chemist shops so im lucky in that respect as i can get all the products i need biggrin.gif/

Its strange; I don’t really care what other people think, only what I think and that is my problem. I am my harshest critic… I just wont go out, or do any thing if I have a spot or 2, I just cant deal with it ](*,)

I rekon I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder and/or severe depression (sometimes i sleep all day) the better my skin has gotten over the years the worse I have felt. Now its just a few spots and I can hardly even leave the house. I think about suicide all the time, am unemployed (2 years and counting) and i cry all the time...

http://www.ocdla.com/bodydysmorphicdisorder.html

I rekon i do all of the Common BDD compulsions except

*Wearing excessive make-up to camouflage a minor or imagined flaw

*Multiple medical procedures in an effort to eradicate a minor or imagined flaw

I just need a cure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! somebody save me

Like I said, Phoenix, it's what I think. And i'm 28, long out of hs  ;) Maybe i'm just vain, but I hate any parts of me that aren't nice looking. My face is just one of them.  

As to what I do to make myself feel better? Wait until tomorrow.

a healthy level self esteem is not solely based on whether you like how you look. One thing I observe is that us acne sufferes can get so down and self absorbed and self hating that we "close up shop"...stop going out, stop doing things. Self esteem is all about pride and when you server all ties and think only about yourself ...well you are not giving yourself much to feel proud of. It is cheesy as shit...but be a good friend and sibling, value and invest in your personal relationships, make a difference in other peoples lives, learn something. And you'll see how much you are valued reflected right back at you.

I used to catch the tube to work in London and I remember seeing some poor Mum struggling with a stroller, baby and toddler so I helped her out. And it was nothing to me except 20 seconds of my time...but she was SOOOOO grateful. And that felt good. After that I always lent a hand. You are not a good person by virtue of your nature alone you have to follow it up with some actions.

Guest Crooked I
Its strange; I don’t really care what other people think, only what I think and that is my problem. I am my harshest critic… I just wont go out, or do any thing if I have a spot or 2, I just cant deal with it  ](*,)  

I rekon I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder and/or severe depression (sometimes i sleep all day) the better my skin has gotten over the years the worse I have felt. Now its just a few spots and I can hardly even leave the house. I think about suicide all the time, am unemployed (2 years and counting) and i cry all the time...

I feel the same way... i have suffered from moderate-severe acne since 11 and have been fighting it ever since, but recently over the last 5 months the acne has been winning!

The doctors here in the UK seem to dismiss that acne is that much of a big deal and will try and give you anything just to stop you going on at them! ](*,)

I have tried everything almost and am still looking for treatments on a regular basis for my moderate acne. sad.gif

I have even been to see a dermotologist and even they had the same attitude as my GP, in other words take your antibiotics and put on your cream and GO AWAY! sad.gif

Since my latest breakout I have not been to work for over two weeks and can't seem to face anyone. I even find it hard to face my girlfriend and I live with her and my 6 yrs son!

I know that it is me being stupid and I can't help the way I look, but self-reassurence is not working. :-k

My girlfriend is very supportive and has been for the last 8 yrs! (God I love her sooo much!) biggrin.gif but things seem to be getting me down, REALLY down!

Am very self aware about my acne and scarring and have been most of my life, if i could swap a limb for a cure I would right now!

Its strange; I don’t really care what other people think, only what I think and that is my problem. I am my harshest critic… I just wont go out, or do any thing if I have a spot or 2, I just cant deal with it  ](*,)  

Go see a doctor man, they could help you. You dont have to suffer.

I think I just diagnosed myself with BDD.

The funny thing is, after all this time and all of the procedures I still have those days where I want to crawl under a rock and die. What I see and what others see do not mesh. Someone might say, "Oh you hardly have any scarring, or I don't even see what you are talking about....", that is not the issue, what I see is the problem.

I guess it comes from years and years of dealing with acne and scarring. My mother was not exactly a help, :-({|= she is one to point out all your flaws, even calling me scarface once when I was a teenager. Nice huh?

Constantly focusing on these flaws can really drive you over the edge. I hit a low point last Christmas, felt like crap and stayed home all day and cried. Thank God I have a wonderful husband. I seem to have about 2 days a month where I can do nothing but sit in front of the mirror trying to conceal an area of scarring.

I pray that God will help me see me for who I am, not just the imperfections. I wish this for all of us. [-o<

I think I just diagnosed myself with BDD.

The funny thing is, after all this time and all of the procedures I still have those days where I want to crawl under a rock and die. What I see and what others see do not mesh. Someone might say, \"Oh you hardly have any scarring, or I don't even see what you are talking about....\", that is not the issue, what I see is the problem. 

I guess it comes from years and years of dealing with acne and scarring. My mother was not exactly a help, :-({|=  she is one to point out all your flaws, even calling me scarface once when I was a teenager. Nice huh? 

Constantly focusing on these flaws can really drive you over the edge. I hit a low point last Christmas, felt like crap and stayed home all day and cried. Thank God I have a wonderful husband. I seem to have about 2 days a month where I can do nothing but sit in front of the mirror trying to conceal an area of scarring. 

I pray that God will help me see me for who I am, not just the imperfections. I wish this for all of us. [-o<

*sigh*

Jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz this is destroying me. Just before Christmas it gets worse. This will make Christmas day fun I can see it all now.

I am going to spend most of it in my room on the computer (as an excuse to hide) and come out for the meal only.

I am totally avoiding people at the moment like all my friends went out to the pub tonight for drinks just before everyone goes away for Christmas, but I am sitting at home feeling like sh$t.

My parents came to visit me this week too and they were saying how i am lazy (im not, I just cant deal with my skin so it may appear to everyone that I don’t do any thing), all the time I was thinking about my skin which had just gotten worse at the start of the week; and I snapped, told them to go (just about 10 min after they had arrived on a 2hr drive from where they live) and I stormed off and drove away. I didn’t come back for a few hours and they were gone… oooops big regrets there, I haven’t talked to them since but I can just imagine how up set my mum would have been/still is. Problem is I just can’t tell them how sad I am and why, I am too ashamed. They probably think it’s to do with my 2 years of unemployment, because that’s what upsets them. I have never told them about what my acne has done to me…

Any way I just needed to vent that, toodles ppl and merry Christmas… I mite go watch some tv to cheer me up, maybe there has been another car bombing or another country invaded or something…

Your situation is almost exactly like mine I cant go out with my friends or anything without constantly worrying about my face. Some days im makin good strides on gettin clear again and then poof 3 zits pop up over the night it seems, it gets really frustrating. Sometimes i skip school and just sleep so i dont have to worry about it. I cant really focus on my grades this acne messes me up in all sorts of ways. And to think if i ever get rid of my zits i'll have to worry about the red marks and the scarring. Life would be so much easier if i were clear again.

Oh man, reading all these made me so sad over my condition again.

Anyway it's not what I did to make myself feel better, but rather what someone else did.

There was this girl at my school whom I first noticed when I started going to the same laboratory as her, she had acne, not very serious, but not mild either.

I noticed her because she dressed herself up very nicely, and she had a very good figure. She hold herself very well too, whereas I'm like so sloppy, even though both of us are gals sad.gif I admire her a lot, I mean, I don't know how she felt inside, but she looked as though she really don't care about her acne and everything, and had a lot of confidence.

Then one day I overheard a little of her conversation with her friends, she was actually talking about her boyfriend and stuff, sounding so happy etc.

I think even though it's a small thing, but still she encouraged me a lot through all that's mentioned above, even though I don't even know her.

To me, she's really cool.

I hate having my day determined by how i feel about my skin. I can't remember the last time when the condition of my skin wasn't an issue. Whenever i go to the shop im always hiding away, trying as fast as i can to get in and out. Id love to go out and not have to worry about the lighting and how bad my scarring looks under them. I never see anyone else with skin trouble, that just makes me feel like i stand out more. Acne is meant to be such a common skin condition, but im always the only one with it that i see, although my acne is well under control, the scarring is still there waving back every day. Does anyone here avoid old friends you haven't seen for years, because when you saw them last your skin was fine? Im always dodging someone. And i hate when people who have nice clear/scar free skin telling you not to worry, get on with life, like you don't try. What hurts the most is knowing that no matter how much i do to try and treat the scarring, to some degree, its always going to be there, and i can't change it. And it hurts and even more knowing i have to except that.