Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pollyjean

i'm scared of minocyclin

Hi! i have been reading the message boards here lately and i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice...

i just got prescribed to minocyclin. to be honest, my acne is not so extreme, but it is getting worse all the time. i am on clidamycin and klaron lotion as well, but topicals seem difficult for me because i have very sensitive skin.

i have been on many different antibiotics in the past, i take tegretol for another condition, which means that antibios are basically my only option. however, every year or so the anti i am on stops working, and new ones sometimes work and sometimes dont.

i am wondering if i should stop taking antis and go another route before my acne gets much worse. i dont know what to do.

i have read the benzoyle peroxide treatment, and it sounds interesting, but i have supersensitive skin so i am skeptical.

anyone have any advice?

thank you!!!

I'm taking mino now. I started a month ago. So far no diff. My derm said it would act as an anti-inflammatory. Antibiotics worked for me a little bit way back when I was 12, but eventually everything stopped working. Since I've been on accutane, my skin is supposed to be different and respond to meds it didn't before, so I'm giving it a shot, although very skeptical. My skin is also insanely sensitive. I can't really use topicals because of it. Everything irritates it. I hate benzo because it ruins my towels and my clothes, and it also fries my skin. I'd reccommend accutane, but at the same time I wouldn't reccommend it because it only worked its miracles while I was taking it. After I stopped the problems I thought were gone forever came back. sad.gif I am so sick of this!

Don't be fazed by other people experience, give it a shot, try Dan's regimen at the sametime, so when you come off mino (hopeful mino and the reg will clear you up) then you'll be a great position to keep em' at bay by just using the regimen, it's what I did, not taken a mino capsule for a few weeks and my skin is consistantly clear due to using the regimen during and after the medication.

Good luck! Remember, what works for one might not for another, I urge you to try it atleast - took about a month for me to notice a change and it was uphill all the way from there.

I guess I can try mino for a few months....thanks for the advice guys!

Yeah I have had problems for years too HM, unfortunately I cant go on accutane because of my other medication. but i will give mino a shot.

Thanks.

Maybe you should discuss with your doc/derm rotating your antibiotics before you're developing a resistance to them. For example change them every 3-6 months or at least before they stop working. A year on a single antibiotic is quite good going. Topically, have you tried zynert lotion or 2.5-5% BP, if you can tolerate clindamycin then i would think either would be ok if used in moderation, try it once a day to start with maybe.

Anyway just a though.........hope you find a solution

Problem with anti-biotics is you grow immune to them, hence why they are last resorts and not given out all the time. We have such an effective and complex system, yet it cannot stop acne, you tell me, lol.

I was on minocycline for about 6 months before. It kept my complextion at a low, ,ut I still had a lot of oil so I went on differin as well. I didn't notice any sideeffects of minocyline... just stay out of your sun is the best bet.

Referring to the minocycling. I was on minocycline (100mg per day) for about 4 months. I was also on differin at the same time. I'd like to say that Minocycline worked wonders for me. However, it has side effects for me. It gave me hyperpigmentation. I mean, I never ever had red marks after any, ANY, acne clears. This time, after on minocycline, I had red marks, and still have it, after about 1 year of not taking it. I'm on tetralysal and dianette at the moment. My dermatologist (My GP prescribed the mino to me) told me its because of my Asian skin. It tends to cause pigmentation to Asian skin. So, if you are Asian, beware.

about minocycline--I have been on it for about 6 years total, and have had no problems that I can attribute to it. One strange thing, though--I went off it to try to get pregnant, and even w/ my regular topicals, my breakouts were horrible for about a year. My skin then went back to "normal", (how it had been when on mino), but within a few years, i started breaking out on my scalp (!) and my dr. put me back on mino. I'm afraid to go off again, after what happened last time. So maybe if you can get by without it, I'd try that. If not, it does work.

about minocycline--I have been on it for about 6 years total, and have had no problems that I can attribute to it.  One strange thing, though--I went off it to try to get pregnant, and even w/ my regular topicals, my breakouts were horrible for about a year.  My skin then went back to \"normal\", (how it had been when on mino), but within a few years, i started breaking out on my scalp (!) and my dr. put me back on mino.  I'm afraid to go off again, after what happened last time.  So maybe if you can get by without it, I'd try that.  If not, it does work.

argh dealing with meds is SO frustrating!

i dont know what to do.....due to the onset of winter (i live in chicago) i have excessively dry skin, so taking any topicals are basically out of the picture until about february.

do you guys think i should keep taking mino even though i cant take topicals? i am afraid of resistance but i am also afraid of having my acne continue to get worse and worse.

thanks.

Resistance is short term,perfectly natural and can be limited somewhat if you cycle your antibiotics, as far as I am aware it is your skin bacteria that is becoming resistant although obviously it must have an overall effect on your sysyem. I don't think any of us like taking these meds but if it's a choice between that and being miserable, I'll take my meds........

Hope you find a solution

due to the onset of winter (i live in chicago) i have excessively dry skin, so taking any topicals are basically out of the picture until about february.

do you guys think i should keep taking mino even though i cant take topicals?  i am afraid of resistance but i am also afraid of having my acne continue to get worse and worse.

thanks.

Minocyclin is useful for a while, but after 6 months or a year the bacteria will just build up a resistance to it. And I dunno if this is true or not, but I've heard that it kills benign organisms in your intestine, which could actually make the acne worse in the long run.

flim flam, when you say 'benign organisms', I take it you mean the good bacterias in our intestines. Minocyclin is not the only antibiotics that does this. ALL antibiotics will kill the probiotics in our body. Antibiotics are not selective. If you have to take antibiotics, I'd suggest taking a probiotics supplement. As for me, I take yoghurt with live cultures.

My Dr took me off anti-biotics fourteen months ago after being on them, on and off, for years. He said I was risking damage to my liver by staying on them so long. Of course the acne, always very mild while on them, came back with a vengeance. In the past fourteen months I've lost a lot of confidence and their are days I don't want to venture out of the door because of the state of my face. I'm seriously thinking of asking my Dr if I can go back on them again. I'm nearly forty and this shouldn't be a problem at my age, it makes it doubly embarrassing. People think you're dirty. I've tried every topical herbal solution there is and nothing really works. Some people can have acne into their nineties, I'd rather take the meds, look reasonably normal and die young.

due to the onset of winter (i live in chicago) i have excessively dry skin, so taking any topicals are basically out of the picture until about february.

do you guys think i should keep taking mino even though i cant take topicals?  i am afraid of resistance but i am also afraid of having my acne continue to get worse and worse.

thanks.

Why don't you give Benzoyl Peroxide a shot? It didnt work for me last time, but I tried it again, and (its only been 5 days) I can it clearing up. I've tried taking antibiotics, but they are all useless. They worked, but the acne came back right after I stop taking it. So, in theory I'd have to take it for life, not sth I'd like to do. I know BP is drying, I have combination skin, but if you just put gobs of moisturiser, it'd help. At least, that's what I do. My skin actually felt less dry than before I use the BP. Cause of the tons of moisturiser that I put on biggrin.gif I rencetly ordered the LRS LIpid Recovery sth from skincarerx.com. It seems good for dry skin, and you dont have to apply tons of it. If you're interested, I'll post my results once I receive it.

Roady - I know how you feel, I was on antibiotics for about 5 years and my skin was nice and normal. Then I started developing huge cysts on my face and had to be taken off of it. I am almost 24 and also feel too old to be having these problems! My mom is 49 and still gets pimples. It's crazy! I just started accutane about 10 days ago. Have you considered taking it? It could solve this problem once and for all!

For those who use minocycline, how long before you can see results? Ive been prescribed today-100mg a day and I'm praying and hoping it will work.

thanks for the advice everyone.

alas, even benzoyl peroxide is too hardcore for my over sensitive face. maybe come february/march i will give it a shot...