Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ballaballa

Fatty/Greasy foods?!?!?!?!

WeCanDoThis please stop preaching that when more credible sources say otherwise. Sure live off hotdogs and your skin might go to shit.. but so will your body. Live a healthy lifestyle, exercise regulary, eat a balanced diet and have grease/suagrs in moderation(you should be doing this anyway acne or not)I don't think it will have any affect whatsoever on your skin, providing you don't have an allergy to it.

WeCanDoThis please stop preaching that when more credible sources say otherwise. Sure live off hotdogs and your skin might go to shit.. but so will your body. Live a healthy lifestyle, exercise regulary, eat a balanced diet and have grease/suagrs in moderation(you should be doing this anyway acne or not)I don't think it will have any affect whatsoever on your skin, providing you don't have an allergy to it.

Oh and may I ask why is it fine that we eat high cholesterol foods but people with high cholesterol shouldn't eat them?

Fact is we have acne and they have clear skin...that's the point.

haha, that Lit-Heung Leung guy is the same one WeCanDoIt keeps quoting and basis his/her entire arguement. It's a commercial site selling b5 products.

Live on fatty/greasy foods for a month... record the results... and then go on non fatty/greasy foods for another month... record the results... get your answer, this whole food causes acne thing is ridiculus. No one really knows what causes acne.

Because eating high cholesterol foods when you have high cholesterol to begin with, if continued, will lead to further serious health issues. You don't really have a point.

um, just one thing though Branded,

"Ditto, Ditto, Ditto I always say, health wise, you are what you eat, but acne wise, it does not make a whole lot of difference. Look at all the obese people with clear skin. "

First of all, how can you say that the two mean nothing??? Why do we consume EFAs if not to get supple skin? Why do we take Vitamin A or Accutane if not to rather simply put, dry up our sebum production? Why do some people get dehydrated and their skin looks like crap when they smoke or drink too much coffee or alcohol? Everything matters, and some foods matter MORE than others. With that said,

" Look at all the obese people with clear skin. "

Well, that's because they ARE obese. That is how their body chose to show them that something was wrong. Granted some could be due to a much greater genetic problem, but obesity has been linked to Diabetes Type 2 which is linked to Insulin Resistance which is linked to eating too much Carbohydrates (and for some unhealthy fatty foods).

Insulin Resistance is also linked to all of you that are currently going through Puberty (Insulin Resistance is Puberty) and of course INCREASED Androgen Production, and.....sigh, I've explained this a dozen times over, so I'll just ask, would you rather choose acne over being obese if it meant eating your favorite foods???

Then again, you could get really lucky and end up obese, hirsuite, barren, AND have acne. Or maybe you will end up Balding, Acneic, and with Prostate Cancer.... Either way, if you remember or believe nothing else that I say (despite the increasing amount of scientfic evidence...search the board, search the Medical Journals), remember that you Do NOT have to have the same or ALL symptoms, in order for something to cause you a problem.

Night

WeCanDoThis, google it you will find a lot more information supporting my argument. Even the Acne Myths page on acne.org is more credible than some random M.D. I dislike people that insist diet is the cause of acne and go round preaching it everywhere. Your worse than a Jehovah witness, at least I can slam the door in their face.

Sweet jade if that helps you sleep at night by all means continue to believe it. I'm not convinced you have found time between your astrology classes, palm readings and tree hugging protests to research this topic thoroughly.

If you find a particular food causes or makes your acne worse then avoid that food by all means, but don't go around preaching individual experiences. If everyone was the cut the foods people iv'e seen claim cause acne over a considerable amount of time while being on these boards we'd be living off semolina & water, it's ridiculous.

I believe in maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle, fats are an essential part of a healthy diet. My skin looks great and continues to look great even after having a 'cheat' meal once a week or so (fast food/choc bar/sugar etc.) Yeah I get zits every now and then but I have never made the connection between diet and acne.

WeCanDoThis, google it you will find a lot more information supporting my argument. Even the Acne Myths page on acne.org is more credible than some random M.D.

When I eat really fatty foods or a lot of sugary stuff, I break out.

Fatty foods can cause excess hormonal production, which then causes more sebum production, which then clods pores, causing the acne. Sugary foods can do the same, but also (supposedly) acne bacteria thrives when there's a lot of sugar/sugar by-products in the blood. So the sugars feed the bacteria, basically.

I wouldn't listen to anyone who says diet doesn't affect acne, as fact. It's bull. It may not be the root cause of it, but it can definately aggravate it.

Because eating high cholesterol foods when you have high cholesterol to begin with, if continued, will lead to further serious health issues. You don't really have a point.

Ty,

LOL, I'm basing this not just on my own personal experiences and DOZENS of other former sufferers (read other acne, diet, or hormonal disorder boards?) but on SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE. I've posted dozens of studies and explained this over and over, but since you and some others REFUSE to even read them...nothing I can do about your ignorance.

On the other hand, Astrology, Palm Readings, and Tree Hugging aren't my thing, but thanks anyway =) There's several ways to beat acne and for those that haven't found a way to stop it and continue to ignore the SCIENTIFIC studies that back up what we are saying about certain foods, Heck even the FDA knows they screwed up, in the end they're only hurting themselves. =(

Best of luck

Jade

P.S. Oh and semolina is wheat and for most of us, there is no way in H E double hockey sticks you will get us to touch that stuff. Breakouts....no thank you

Sweet Jade, you seem to have done your homework on the topic of natural cures for acne. I think its great that people are looking for other ways to cure this problem, as I know the difficulties of long term anti-biotic use.

I have always been a skeptic from past experiences of trying to avoid fatty/greasy/sugar foods, not much luck in improving my acne. However, I recently took the next step to avoid starches in my meals (white rice, white bread, etc) while taking a pharmaceutical grade multi-vitamin, vit C, and fish oil supplement (good fats). I found a significant improvement in my complexion in about a month with this diet. It is very strict and consists of lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats (chicken, fish, etc)., and whole weat breads, brown rice, etc., plus plenty of water. Its kind of bland but worth it. I still take one 50mg minocycline capsule a day (long-term user), erythromycin topical used as spot treatment, and cetaphil anti-bacterial as a wash.

Now that I have seen these improvements (about 70% of ance eliminated), i want more, but i'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe you could shed some light on the following questions:

When adding/eliminating foods to/from our diet, how long does it normally take for a breakout response to occur? I find it difficult to determine which foods may still be causing me problems, and which are ok to add.

Are starches from complex carbs still ok (whole grain breads, brown rice), or are they only good in moderation?

Are there known fruits, veggies (i've heard carrots can be bad if eaten too much), or meats that can cause problems? Do you have a source article explaining?

Did you ever visit a naturepath for advice? If so, do you use natural supplements?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I think it is true that food will not cause acne for those not prone to acne. However, I, being prone to acne, will with a certified guarantee start breaking out much worse if I eat a lot of saturated fat and refined sugar. My skin is sensitive to those things and I have no choice but to listen to my body. When young girls start modeling they are told to eat low fat, low sugar, high protein diets and to drink a lot of water. It just makes sense. Bottom line though if you notice that after eating certain foods you break out, you would be silly to keep eating those foods. Could be an allergic reaction or whatever, but the proof is on your skin.

Just my two cents!

I highly doubt that, for most people, food was the ORIGINAL cause of their acne, but:

For most people that are prone to acne (any acne sufferers), greasy foods can very much so aggravate it. Stuff like french fries, cheese and greasy chips.

The main problem is the hydrogenated oils and saturated fats. Your body NEEDS fat to function, but saturated fat is what can really aggravate acne by causing too much oil production. Nasty fats can throw off the hormone levels, which therefore causes excess oil production.

Baked chips from the natural foods section? Fine. Lays fried potato chips? Not so good. It's just all about making sure to get quality fats instead of the nasty stuff, and to not overdo it.

(sugars can also aggravate acne a lot, since many bacterias thrive when there's a lot of sugar in the bloodstream)

Workman,

Hey there, I'm glad you are finally seeing results. Sometimes it's one type of food or ingredient and sometimes it's another. I don't have a lot of time right now, but if you are interested in other diets, you might want to look at this thread on healthboards (over 50pages) http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthr...ad.php?t=127454 Also, for suggestions on what to eat, it really depends on the kind of diet you are following. I made this post here http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthr...ad.php?t=132048 and it basically SHOWS you all the options you still have left even when if feels like you just eliminated 50% of the foods you eat ; -)

I didn't mention the basic stuff, like fruits, vegetables, legumes, pulses, nuts, seeds, poultry, beef, seafood, or pork, becaue those are a given. What the above list is for those that can't think of other foods to eat in place of somethng they are used to eating. I personally use Corn Shells or Lettuce instead of Hamburger or Sandwich burns. Adds a nice and different flare to things. ;-)

Now if you have achieved 70% clarity by just eliminated the Refined Foods (?) imagine how it could be if you eliminated some more of the bread products. Everyone has dfferent rules for this, I personally live off of Rice and Corn grains 90% of the time. Occasionally I might have some oatmeal or something else that's made from a non-gluten grain. Those two products are starch and I do very well, but it would be in your best interest to go for the non-refined rices. ; -)

to determine if something you are still eating is breaking you out, the best thing to do is to either keep or journal or just eliminate a food item for a 2 weeks. If it's the culprit your skin should improve more or at the very least it should breakout again (maybe worse) when you add the suspect food back in. I'll tell you that I wasn't able to pinpoints foods, until I eliminated the bulk of my problems (Gluten grains). Once I did that I was able to notice a difference when I eat peanuts or drank soday....bam I got cysts. Before though (avoided soda for 10 years) I couldn't tell because I was breaking out steadily and there was never a difference in the TYPES of breakouts I was getting. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your view.

If something bothers your skin/body, and you give your body at least a few weeks vacation from it, then the next time it meets up with that aggrevator, it WILL react! Just make sure you aren't eating any other foods that you normally don't eat on a daily or weekly basis and you will be to pinpoint your problems to the food that you added back in. You'll know because you will breakout more, breakout worse, breakout in specific types (cysts vs. whiteheads), or breakout in NEW areas within a few days time. That right there can not be a placebo effect, NEW areas??? Right that's what we all are subconciously wishing for ;-)

Depending on the diet you are following, but ultimately what you discover are your problem foods, you will eliminate certain foods as neccessary. So if you are going to follow the Acne Prescription by Perricone than yes, you want to avoid carrots, mango, papaya, bananas and some other foods. Somewhere on this board is a list as well as on various places on the internet. The reasoning behind it is because these foods or high on the Glycemic index, thus invoking an Inflammatory response. Of course, I think that it's because some of them ore problematic lectins, but the Inflammatory response occurs here also. So either way, Inflammation, cysts (have that problem?). Other suffers have noticed that they had to eliminate peanuts and cashews as well...inflammatory response. So, it seems like a good book. You can go to Amazon.com and read reviews on his books. They all say that while they went into his diet to lose wieght or to prevent the signs aging, some discovered that their skin improved or Cleared! Of course those that are actually on the Acne specific diet had even better results.

The first link I posted is by someone we know as Sunfell and he says he's never had a case of acne that he didn't clear up through the elimination of DAIRY, Hydrogenated Oils, Refined Foods, and I believe he also mentiones a supplement regimen. So you may want to discuss your diet with him aswell.

That's all I've got for now. It's late (yawn).

Night