Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandz

The biggest feeling? SHAME

Hey, Im new to this bored, so I figured I would post a new topic and for once get my feelings about acne off my chest!

I started getting spots on my forehead when I was like 16 but it didnt bother me so much and like someone mentioned in another post, i was just grateful they werent anywhere else, like on my cheeks.

When I started University they spread onto my cheeks. It happened one spot at a time, lol, that I didnt notice, it was only when I realised I was practically covering my whole face in make up that I realise I had a problem!

I feel so crap, noone but my family (as in the people I actually live with) see me without my make up. Im pretty good at covering it up and when I tell people I have skin issues they tell me to shut up and that I have perfect skin, but the truth is underneath the make up I have ugly red scars all over. I hate sleeping over at peoples houses and if I do will wake up extra early to apply make up!

i feel like im living a double life!

(very long reply sorry!) :redface:

they ain't scars, they are red marks, they wil go with time. makeup won't help your face get better, remember that. try without it, i know you will probably feel naked, but try it

I know I should do that but its SO SO hard! Its not feeling naked but I know people think I dont have a problem with my skin so I can imagine their shocked faces when they see my skin..it scares me..x

well, nip this anxiety in the bud, I am definetely sure if you do this makeup thing, it will become something you have to do everyday, and that ain't a way to live.

do it slowly, do you wear makeup when you are not going out?

Oh no when Im at home it comes off straight away!

But I agree my make up thing is becoming slightly obsessive...*panicks*

Yeah I cover them pretty well, noone can tell and I get compliments about my 'clear' skin all the time, which is ironic really! Got told I had 'porcelain' skin the other day.

I use foundation and then dab concealer onto any marks or spots that you can still see!

xx

But without it I look terrible, its like Jekyll and Hyde..

have you tried mineral makeup? some of it can actually be benificial to your skin. check out the make-up help forum.

welcome to Acne.org!

Ha fuck yeah, no doubt red marks has fucked me over for the past year. I made something like 15k last year, working my ass off full time for 10 months, out of that ive saved absolutely NOTHING. I must have spent a total of 2 to 3K on just products, 95 out of 100 of which does nothing for me. Another 2 grand on consultations and IPLs (fucking useless). The rest I spent on cab rides from and to IPLs, going to docs, and god knows where the other 5K went.

At the end of the day I feel ashamed when my friend tells me about the money hes saved up from work, and i look at his face, no red marks to speak of, only a couple of active zits that went away perfectly a month later. It only gets worse when your family members dont understand how bad it is, and tells you not to waste anymore money, just live with it for awhile and it'll go away (its been 2 years, i dont think these marks are gonna vanish anytime soon).

Plus i hate having to cover it with creams or foundation, im a guy, for the past 3 months ive been trying to go bare naked, so far i feel okay with it but overall i still feel shitty cuz i know without these marks i look pretty damn good.

Hey, Im new to this bored, so I figured I would post a new topic and for once get my feelings about acne off my chest!

I started getting spots on my forehead when I was like 16 but it didnt bother me so much and like someone mentioned in another post, i was just grateful they werent anywhere else, like on my cheeks.

When I started University they spread onto my cheeks. It happened one spot at a time, lol, that I didnt notice, it was only when I realised I was practically covering my whole face in make up that I realise I had a problem!

I feel so crap, noone but my family (as in the people I actually live with) see me without my make up. Im pretty good at covering it up and when I tell people I have skin issues they tell me to shut up and that I have perfect skin, but the truth is underneath the make up I have ugly red scars all over. I hate sleeping over at peoples houses and if I do will wake up extra early to apply make up!

Careful with that makeup ladies, much of the makeup on the market today is very comedogenic. Some women try so desperately hard to cover up their blemishes with makeup but fail to realize it's the makeup that's causing the blemishes.

Careful with that makeup ladies, much of the makeup on the market today is very comedogenic. Some women try so desperately hard to cover up their blemishes with makeup but fail to realize it's the makeup that's causing the blemishes.

Oh my god I am exactly the same! I feel like I am living a double life to. With make up on you can only notice a few of my spots, but without make up my face is a disaster of red marks, eczema, acne and uneven skin. I feel ashamed of the truth. I avoid people when I have massive break outs, I never sleep over at peoples houses, I avoid relationships and I basically schedule my life around what is going on with my skin. I hate it, and I know its not healthy. I'm slowly weaning myself off make up. I know that sounds rediculous, but seriously try to start going out without make up a few times, walk round the block, then try and go into a shop etc. work your way up.

Oh my god I am exactly the same! I feel like I am living a double life to. With make up on you can only notice a few of my spots, but without make up my face is a disaster of red marks, eczema, acne and uneven skin. I feel ashamed of the truth. I avoid people when I have massive break outs, I never sleep over at peoples houses, I avoid relationships and I basically schedule my life around what is going on with my skin. I hate it, and I know its not healthy. I'm slowly weaning myself off make up. I know that sounds rediculous, but seriously try to start going out without make up a few times, walk round the block, then try and go into a shop etc. work your way up.

PLEASE give up the make up and let your skin breath/heal

i spent 3 years covering my face with VERY thick and comedogenic concealer and make-up because i had mild-mod acne, and it got me through high school, however now i have severe cystic acne with HUGE blocked pores and blackheads-these i know are caused by the make up and concealer, my face is so congested and i just hope accutane does something for this..

please, dont do this to yourself, its not easy to go without the make up, people WILL look at you, but fuck'em, the people who care about you will get used to it, and will support you as you try to encourage your skin to heal..

I agree with suninmymouth, it's not easy that's for sure.. but trying to cut down on the makeup would be so much better for you in the long run.

I was the same as you not too long ago, I didn't have a clue about what I was doing when I was trying to cover up my face.. I'd have put anything, even horse shit on my face if it meant I'd be hiding it from the world. I didn't even know what comedogenic meant.. :whistle:

Now, I'm horrified when I think back to what I was doing to my skin. I can't begin to think how much worse I'd probably been making it.. *shudder*

Anyway, I understand that the first thing you want to do when you have bad skin is to cover it up by any means necessary. So I'd completely understand if you can't cut it out completely.. I know I wouldn't have got through some days without it. But what I did find to be of a great help was the makeup forum on here, just educating myself about the do's and don'ts and less irritating brands etc really helped. As some others mentioned.. there are things like mineral makeups you can look into, which are supposedly much kinder to your skin. 'Least that way if you do need to wear it, you'll feel better about the effect it's having.

What I did was to gradually wear less and less, and just try to let my skin breathe as much as possible. It's hard and you'll feel incredibly vulnerable for a while, but it's been totally worth it for me. I got sick of feeling so fake all the time and having to worry about smudging, running off, being the wrong colour.. all of that. Granted, it's pretty daunting facing the world bare faced when you've got a skin problem but it feels so nice to not have all the crap clogging up my skin, you know? Maybe you could open up to friends or whoever one by one, and let them see the true you. It's petrifying at first but you'll soon realise that they'll still love you and stick by you regardless of what your skin looks like.

Take it slowly, ease off it bit by bit..