Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have mild to moderate acne. Originally I would wash my face 2-3 times daily with Spectro Derm gel cleanser or occasionally with the very abrasive St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I moisturized 1-2 times daily with Coppertone Oil-Free Sunscreen. I never moisturized after washing my face prior to going to bed, though. I am a compulsive picker and squeezer so I'm sure that wasn't helping, touching my face all the time. So I am trying to cut that out, and to be more gentle with my face when washing it. My new products are: Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser, which I'll be washing with twice daily; I'll follow that with Oxy BP 2.5% vanishing lotion for sensitive skin, which I will apply in my problem areas: my chin, the area b/t my nose and my chin, and part of my cheeks; and then follow up twice a day with Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. I'm very optimistic. I used to use a benzoyl peroxide product back in the day, but I only ever applied it to pimples that had already appeared. Then I lost it. My skin doesn't react poorly to 2.5% BP except getting dried out, so I think after this tube is done with I might switch to a 5% BP product I saw in the pharmacy (because it's cheaper, probably because it's "no-name" brand). So....I'll post back in a week and report how it's been working out. One thing is that I won't be stopping using makeup. I sort of rely on it as a social crutch, to make myself feel a little more attractive. I use oil-absorbing powder on my chin and nose, concealer on pimples and scars, and eyeshadow around my eyes, and a little blush on my cheeks. It's no wonder I had more pimples when I was a teen - I used to use all that PLUS foundation, mascara and eyeliner! Sheesh. Anyways, I'm hoping this regimen would improve my skin so I'll end up wearing less makeup...we'll see. This photo is of me today without makeup. You can't see many zits because my webcam flashes and I can't make it stop. Although it's just occurred to me that I could cover the flash with something. I'll wait til I have no makeup on again and post a new photo. This is my first day of using my new regimen. Wish me luck!

post-53757-1169408683_thumb.jpg

post-53757-1169408683_thumb.jpg

Good luck Becka! I also used BP back in the day just on active pimples, which didn't do anything to prevent new acne, oops. Just take it slow with the BP because even though it's a low concentration, using a lot of it on one area will make you flake like whoa, so don't get greedy with your results and try upping the amount you use too fast.

Blarg. I can't seem to get a decent photo that shows all my acne. Maybe later in the week.

Anyway I've been on my regimen for a few days now and it seems to be working out...hopefully. I'm not getting as many new pimples as usual since I started using the BP, but it could just be the result of my "Aunt Flow's" recent departure. I still have developed a large painful one on my chin. It's not too noticeable but when I feel it (which I'm trying not to do), it feels big. I think it's the resut of squeezing in that area I did about a week ago.

I've been trying to be less abrasive in my washing. Usually I start scrubbing and then remember not to and then tone it down. I've also been picking and squeezing wayyy less. Yay.. The BP isn't drying out my skin too much as long as I use moisturizer promptly.

That's all for now I think until next week.

post-53757-1169567118_thumb.jpgHere it is, not too bad at all as you can see, but still an annoyance.

I think the regimen is having a positive effect.

post-53757-1169567118_thumb.jpg

:dance: So, this is my first week of using the regimen, and it's SO working for me. This is probably the best my skin has ever been since before I started getting acne in my early teens, and I'm really super excited about it. In the picture I'm attaching, you can't really see too much of a difference but there definitely is because all my "active" pimples are gone and all that's left are scars and red marks. I find these easier to deal with than current acne because to me they sort of represent the past, and they're also easier to cover with makeup. I've been sticking religiously to the regimen - almost. Sometimes I ending up washing and moisturizing three times a day because I like to take showers at night before I go to bed and then sometimes I reapply my makeup and go out, post-shower, before going to bed. So then I end up washing/moisturizing a third time before bed. I only apply the BP twice a day though, after waking up and just before going to bed. I can definitely feel my skin tightening right up after applying the BP, but after I moisturize it's no longer a problem. I haven't found it too hard not to pick at my face, partly because there are no pimples to pick at any more, and also because I am more aware now of how picking makes my skin worse. Sometimes however it's hard not to scrub while washing and drying my face, just because I forget that it's bad or I'm thinking of something else. It's not a big deal though because I usually catch myself pretty quickly and change to doing it more gently. I've recommended this regimen to my brothers who also have acne.

The following pictures are me last night without makeup and today with makeup.

I'll post again next Sunday, hopefully it will still be working for me! Right now I'm focussing on sticking to the regimen (not hard, because it's actually working!) and researching ways to get rid of scars. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to have them.

post-53757-1170104416_thumb.jpg

post-53757-1170104405_thumb.jpg

post-53757-1170104405_thumb.jpg

post-53757-1170104416_thumb.jpg

Good luck, Becka! :)

I've found that the only thing that'll heal scars properly is time. Stick with the regimen. Some claim that Bio-Oil helps speed up the fading. Personally I don't think it made a difference, though - who knows - it might with you.

Blarg. I can't seem to get a decent photo that shows all my acne.