Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fromchicago

How long does a scar take to form 100%?

I've heard that some doctors say, "wait a year, and then see if the scar is still apparent," suggesting that it might disapear by then.

Has anyone had an experience with this ? -- where they thought they were going to scar in a spot, then it goes away?

I had a trouble spot on my forehead about 6 months ago that I thought for sure was going to scar, but now I cant really see it.

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

You mean some of your scars will dissapear 100% Wow!!

some ppl regenerate collagen better than others and my derm said it does take about 1year for a scar to fully mature, in truth the greater extent of my scarring is about 4-5months old, so i'm delaying any invasive procedures (laser, derma, tca, etc) for now, but i am trying to improve them with topicals.

I'm primarily talking about spots that you are pretty sure are going to scar, and then before you know it -- you can't even find the sucker.

Obviously Im talking about minor stuff.

I basically want to know the period of time in which is past this point, and you know the scar is there for good, and its appearnce wont change w/o treatment.

there was this one terrible spot i had, it was very indented and i thought it was going to end up being my worst scar yet but it disappeared in about 5 months. on the other hand, i've had small things turn out to be scars. so i don't know the method to it... i just hope for the best every time!

I haven't had any scars dissapear on their own - not indented ones anyway. Red marks, yes - they will fade in time.

What I have found in the last 1 year though, which I think is pretty important - is that when I get any new pimples now, I never scar (yup, no new scars in the last year) - I am pretty sure it's because of the supplements I take.

I guess the proactive way to deal with scarring is NOT to get a scar in the first place. I wish I knew about supplements and diet back them - if I had, I wouldn't be left with 100 or so pits.

I have read doctors statements that indicate full scar maturity can take up to two years. I have also read that your body works for the rest of your life to repair a scar. Conversely, I have also read that the best scar repair results occur if treatment is started within 6 weeks of injury. So there you go - a mixed bag as is often the case.

Anna

My derm told me this when I was about 15 or 16 years old she said when you are young your scars can still improve even 100%. But I don t think scars will get much beter after your older then ±20 years old.

there was this one terrible spot i had, it was very indented and i thought it was going to end up being my worst scar yet but it disappeared in about 5 months. on the other hand, i've had small things turn out to be scars. so i don't know the method to it... i just hope for the best every time!

I haven't had any scars dissapear on their own - not indented ones anyway. Red marks, yes - they will fade in time.

What I have found in the last 1 year though, which I think is pretty important  - is that when I get any new pimples now, I never scar (yup, no new scasr in the last year) - I am pretty sure it's because of the supplements I take.  

I guess the proactive way to deal with scarring is NOT to get a scar in the first place. I wish I knew about supplements and diet back them - if I had, I wouldn't be left with 100 or so pits.

Thanks Anna for that info!

I have a new scar that I got after my first smoothbeam because I got off of retin a for while and got a cyst. Now I'll make sure to get it zapped!

I agree that your skin works for your lifetime repairing scars. I have a cousin who had terrible scarring her whole life, and with age, they are getting a lot better, she's about 37 years old now.

My derm told me this when I was about 15 or 16 years old she said when you are young your scars can still improve even 100%. But I don t think scars will get much beter after your older then ±20 years old.

Specifically, what supplements are you taking to get these results?  Im trying to take Vitamin C and Zinc daily.