Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
come back clear skin

borage and lecithin

Hello. The other night I read the entire "Evening Primrose Oil" message board, and, having always been a fan of holistic medicine and supplementation (“Go team holistic medicine and supplementation!†Dork.), I decided to give this GLA regimen a try. I took the supplements listed below for only 1 day and already I am seeing results. I woke up in the night to use the restroom and to my amazement no new pimples have formed (and this is an unusual occurrence for me) and my skin looked generally better. The redness left over from pimples which normally last weeks (even months) seems to be lighter. Pinkish-red scars on my cheeks look to be actually healing. It’s nothing short of amazing, really. So that’s, that. Now, a little into my history… when I was a teenager I never had acne, I never even had to wear make-up, but throughout my teens I was on birth control (starting from when I was 15). It wasn’t until I got off birth control (around 19) that I started getting acne. It was mostly on my cheeks (enormous pustules) and around my eyebrows, for whatever reason. I am 22 now. About a year ago I visited my dermatologist after having tried numerous times, and failed, at finding a holistic approach to deal with this plague. I had also starting getting cysts on my chin. He put me on a number of creams first, then later, antibiotics and creams, and finally, when we realized it was being caused by hormones, birth control pills (Yasmin which contains spironolactone), antibiotics, and more creams. This last regimen worked for me but after about 8 or 9 months I decided to get off of the birth control and antibiotic (medicine scares me). It wasn’t long before I started breaking out again. So I went back to my derm., tail between my legs, and asked for more drugs, and, of course, he obliged. I am now on, and have been on for a month, a low dose of spironolactone (50 mg 1x/day) and a lose dose of doxycycline (50 mg 1x/day) but neither of these have improved my acne and I recently read in the reviews given of spironolactone on this web site that is has been known to give cancer to lab rats. So, I am defiantly going to try to get off of it ASAP! Anyway, that’s the end of my short story (it certainly seems long enough) and I will continue to update you on my progress. Also, after reading about the toxins possibly present in unrefined Borage, I decided to split up my sources of GLA, which is probably a good idea regardless of toxicity.

Regimen as of 1 day ago…

Wash: DermaKlear brand Akne Treatment (bar soap containing a small amount of sulfur)

Moisturize: Kiss My Face brand Vitamin A & E Moisturizer applied liberally to dry areas only (I have been using this for awhile now and find it very agreeable to my oily skin)

Make-up: Everyday Minerals brand (haven’t started yet but awaiting my free sample!)

Supplements:

• Nature’s Way brand Borage 1000mg (2x/day)

• Nature’s Way brand Evening Primrose (high potency) 1300mg (2x/day)

• Health from the Sun brand Black Currant 1000mg (2x/day)

• Solgar brand Zinc Citrate 30mg (2x/day), thank you someoneintheuk!

• The Lecithin from Lewis Labs (granules) (2 tbsp 2x/day) – tastes nasty straight or mixed in milk (probably because it’s mango/pineapple flavor but surprisingly good in a chai tea flavored soy protein drink)

• Whole Foods brand Food Based One (1 tablet 1x/day)

I also eat a healthy vegetarian (almost vegan diet) but am not sure if this has decreased or contributed to my acne (although I doubt it has contributed to it). I, sadly, do not exercise, ever.

Hello. The other night I read the entire "Evening Primrose Oil" message board, and, having always been a fan of holistic medicine and supplementation (“Go team holistic medicine and supplementation!†Dork.), I decided to give this GLA regimen a try. I took the supplements listed below for only 1 day and already I am seeing results. I woke up in the night to use the restroom and to my amazement no new pimples have formed (and this is an unusual occurrence for me) and my skin looked generally better. The redness left over from pimples which normally last weeks (even months) seems to be lighter. Pinkish-red scars on my cheeks look to be actually healing. It’s nothing short of amazing, really. So that’s, that. Now, a little into my history… when I was a teenager I never had acne, I never even had to wear make-up, but throughout my teens I was on birth control (starting from when I was 15). It wasn’t until I got off birth control (around 19) that I started getting acne. It was mostly on my cheeks (enormous pustules) and around my eyebrows, for whatever reason. I am 22 now. About a year ago I visited my dermatologist after having tried numerous times, and failed, at finding a holistic approach to deal with this plague. I had also starting getting cysts on my chin. He put me on a number of creams first, then later, antibiotics and creams, and finally, when we realized it was being caused by hormones, birth control pills (Yasmin which contains spironolactone), antibiotics, and more creams. This last regimen worked for me but after about 8 or 9 months I decided to get off of the birth control and antibiotic (medicine scares me). It wasn’t long before I started breaking out again. So I went back to my derm., tail between my legs, and asked for more drugs, and, of course, he obliged. I am now on, and have been on for a month, a low dose of spironolactone (50 mg 1x/day) and a lose dose of doxycycline (50 mg 1x/day) but neither of these have improved my acne and I recently read in the reviews given of spironolactone on this web site that is has been known to give cancer to lab rats. So, I am defiantly going to try to get off of it ASAP! Anyway, that’s the end of my short story (it certainly seems long enough) and I will continue to update you on my progress. Also, after reading about the toxins possibly present in unrefined Borage, I decided to split up my sources of GLA, which is probably a good idea regardless of toxicity.

Regimen as of 1 day ago…

Wash: DermaKlear brand Akne Treatment (bar soap containing a small amount of sulfur)

Moisturize: Kiss My Face brand Vitamin A & E Moisturizer applied liberally to dry areas only (I have been using this for awhile now and find it very agreeable to my oily skin)

Make-up: Everyday Minerals brand (haven’t started yet but awaiting my free sample!)

Supplements:

• Nature’s Way brand Borage 1000mg (2x/day)

• Nature’s Way brand Evening Primrose (high potency) 1300mg (2x/day)

• Health from the Sun brand Black Currant 1000mg (2x/day)

• Solgar brand Zinc Citrate 30mg (2x/day), thank you someoneintheuk!

• The Lecithin from Lewis Labs (granules) (2 tbsp 2x/day) – tastes nasty straight or mixed in milk (probably because it’s mango/pineapple flavor but surprisingly good in a chai tea flavored soy protein drink)

• Whole Foods brand Food Based One (1 tablet 1x/day)

I also eat a healthy vegetarian (almost vegan diet) but am not sure if this has decreased or contributed to my acne (although I doubt it has contributed to it). I, sadly, do not exercise, ever.

The Whole Foods brand Food Based One is a multivitamin, mineral and herbal folmula and has 10mg of B12 which 167% of the daily value. Thank's for recommending it though, I sometimes get lazy about taking my multivitamins.

if you have cleared up or at least had good results with these could you post and let us know please i'm doing this and hoping i'll be able to get off antibiotics eventually

i am getting pustules again and haven't had them in quite a while because of the minocycline but sinse i dropped to 100mg of mino and started the starflower i've been getting them i think i'll have to go back up to 200mg of mino as i can't deal with all this again