Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VonDutch

"LETS TAKE BABY STEPS BEFORE ACCUTANE"

Hey,

I switched derm's 3 times because they all say the same thing. I take retin-a, clyndamycine, and tons of other antibiotics and topical stuff, and everytime I ask about accutane they sit me down, tell me it kills people, and tell me that they're going to take baby steps towards accutane.

To me this just sounds like they're milking it/they're afraid of the accutane drug.

I've had acne for so long, and I've been on topicals for tons of time, but not with the same dermatologist.

What would you do? I am sick of wasting time. Acne really hurts my confidence....I'm the definition of vain wink.gif

odd. my doc (not a derm, but a family physician) that i just switched over to and saw for the 1st time immediatly put me on accutane. i just took my blood test 2 days ago, so ill be starting my dosage (10mg) pretty soon

edit -

not too sure about the dosage lol....either 10 or 100 mg :-k

odd. my doc (not a derm, but a family physician) that i just switched over to and saw for the 1st time immediatly put me on accutane. i just took my blood test 2 days ago, so ill be starting my dosage (10mg) pretty soon

edit -

not too sure about the dosage lol....either 10 or 100 mg  :-k

man that freaking sucks.

i had my first ever appointment last week with my derm and the absolute first thing she said when she looked at my face was: "Please Please tell me you have a drug plan."

I do. So the first thing she recommended was Accutane. And my acne isnt really all that bad. I just have a couple big cysts.

Honestly just keep searching Derm's or complain to some health board.

Remember this: Accutane doesnt kill people. Stupid People kill themselves taking accutane, cause they think its an overnight miracle drug.

I've never had the acne like you see in the before/after accutane pictures, so I always thought it was never an option. Finally after 10 years of trying just about everything else, my derm suggested I try it.

That drug worked miracles, but I just want to warn you about something. I felt like accutane promised no more acne for ever. Three months after I had completed treatment, the acne came back. It isn't as bad now as it was, but I'm back on medications, and since accutane is supposed to "change your skin forever" medications that didn't work in the past are supposed to be successful. I've been on minocycline and spironolactone for a month now and they have yet to make the slightest difference.

My problem is not that I have a lot of zits, but that I have a lot of oil, and that all my pores make plugs, I HATE PLUGS. I hate looking in the mirror and seeing my pores all plugged up.

While I was on acutane, I did not have one plug. My skin did not even produce the SLIGHEST amount of oil. I had to slather Vaseline on my face every night before bed to prevent my skin from drying out. My skin was so clear and beautiful and for the first time in my life I didn't have to do anything to keep it that way, I could go for a week without washing my face and not get one zit. In fact, from a month after I started accutane until three months after I stopped it, I did not get one single pimple. I actually felt pretty for the first time in my life. I threw away all the make-up I used to use to cover up my bumps and pores - I didn't need it. Sure I had some scaring, and my pores will always be big, but they weren't plugged and there was nothing I could do to plug them.

I'm sure you can imagine my disappointmen when the oil started comming back. Then came the blackheads and the breakouts. And it only came back on my face, before I had problems with my back and chest, and I almost wish I could trade that now. I'd take back-ne for the rest of my life if I could only have the clear skin I had with accutane.

So, now that I've been on accutane, I'm not going to be happy with the results of any treatment that doesn't bring me those same results. I almost regret that I even took it.

I might have to go back on accutane, but I'm hesitant because it didn't work the first time, it's hella expensive, and Pregnancy tests every month and Dr. appointments were a real drag.

Best luck to you. I'm not trying to stear you away from accutane, I just wanted you to be forwarned of something that could also happen to you. Be careful in getting too hopeful. There is nothing worse than being let down.