Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VolksWagon87

Does moisturizing prolong red marks?

I haven't been moisturizing for the past couple of days because I have some red marks I need to take care of. The skin around my red mark is flaking off and my red marks are becoming darker, which I hope to peel off with GA. I've been off the regimen for a couple of months now and was wondering if simple cleansing (Purpose liquid cleanser) by itself would do without moisturizing (which I believe would prolong my red marks) since I don't use benzoyl peroxide?

You could actively speed up the fading of redmarks by using a moisturizer with a strong AHA in it, though, like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion which is lightly moisturizer with 8% glycolic acid, in addition to your periodic peels. If your skin isn't dry then no, you don't need to use a moisturizer any more, but I think in this case the NHSFL would help you out more than washing alone. Also, if you'll be using AHAs at all (either lotions or peels), then do know they leave your skin more sensitive to sunlight even when you don't have them on your face, so you'll need some kind of SPF protection during the day for even a week after stopping treatment. You can get this through a plain sunscreen or an SPF moisturizer, or hell, you can put them all together and get the SPF 15 version of NHSFL.

You could actively speed up the fading of redmarks by using a moisturizer with a strong AHA in it, though, like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion which is lightly moisturizer with 8% glycolic acid, in addition to your periodic peels. If your skin isn't dry then no, you don't need to use a moisturizer any more, but I think in this case the NHSFL would help you out more than washing alone. Also, if you'll be using AHAs at all (either lotions or peels), then do know they leave your skin more sensitive to sunlight even when you don't have them on your face, so you'll need some kind of SPF protection during the day for even a week after stopping treatment. You can get this through a plain sunscreen or an SPF moisturizer, or hell, you can put them all together and get the SPF 15 version of NHSFL.

bang on the money

i m using the neutrogena and its fading my red marks

I think moisturizers can lessen the APPEARANCE of red marks when you have it rubbed in the right way but it doesnt really fix the problem. Personally, only use moisturizer when you REALLY need it, otherwise leave it alone.