Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted before, but this sounds like a really interesting product. Here's an article discussing it from medical news today:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=35502

You can order it from www.clearogen.com and it costs $69, but that's for a two month supply, which makes it a better deal than proactive. The best part is that you only need to use it once a day! Plus you get a 60 day money back guarantee. I haven't been able to find many reviews online, but the ones I have gave it excellent ratings. I just ordered it myself, so I'll let everyone know how it works out.

*EDIT*

For some reason it appears that the link posted above isn't working anymore. Here are a couple of other links to people who have tried the product:

http://specktra.net/showthread.php?t=46016

http://www.folica.com/Clearogen_Anti__r2581_1.html

Im also very interested in this product, as it states to attack the root cause of acne, unlike many other products that just remove oil from the skin. I'd like to know how it works for you, please tell us how you get on.

Alright, here's the scoop. I've been using Clearogen for exactly two weeks now. After the first day i noticed a big reduction in the pimples on my neck. However, my face and neck were as red as a beet. I'm going to assume that this was because of the SA. A couple days later my skin returned to it's normal color, but my neck was getting very dry. It didn't flake much, but did begin to on my throat area and on both sides of my nose. Using aveeno ultra calming moisturizer helped this a bit (and I didn't have to pay for it, just shoved a bunch of samples into my pocket at the derms office). The dry skin kept up for a week. The moisturizer helped for a bit but after a few hours my skin would be really dry again. After the first week this started to subside. Now it's gotten to the point where I don't even need to use moisturizer anymore. In short, my skin is now almost completely clear after two weeks. The only thing remaining are the red marks from the dead pimples, and those appear to be fading pretty quickly as well. I'm getting some sudocrem for marks that have been around a while.

But yeah, overall, I think this is an excellent product, as long as you stick with it. Oh, yeah, I don't even use the cleanser that comes with it, just some purpose gentle cleanser. The best part is that you only need to apply everything at night. In the morning all I need to do is wash my face/neck. This is an awesome time saver since I normally wake up with barely enough time to get to work after cleansing my face. Now I can even spend time shaving and gelling my hair until the spikes are sharp enough to kill a man.

Ok, now the bad aspect.

This may not apply to everyone, but since I use the products on both my face and neck, they are vanishing very quickly. I'm going to try to use less of everything to see if it still keeps my skin clear. The products are supposed to last two months, but i can't see getting past the 1 month mark for myself. If you'll just be using it on your face, however, you will get a lot more longevity out of the product (the amount of skin i have to cover on my neck is a quite a bit more than my face).

So yeah, that's my review after two weeks. I'm surprised that it does such a good job considering all of the active ingredients are in other products of it's kind. Of course, your mileage may vary. I'll keep everyone updated in case of any status changes in the future. I would suggest giving it a try since you can always get your money back, minus s&h.

Hmm, sounds good.

What if I opted to only purchase the acne lotion that contains the main ingredients that inhibit DHT. Would I be able to use my own cleanser/toner?

Good results in two weeks also sounds promising.

1: J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2002 Nov;82(4-5):393-400. Links

5 alpha-reductase-catalyzed conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is increased in prostatic adenocarcinoma cells: suppression by 15-lipoxygenase metabolites of gamma-linolenic and eicosapentaenoic acids.Pham H, Ziboh VA.

Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of California at Davis, TB-192, One Shields Avenue, 95616, USA.

Although the androgens, testosterone (T) and its highly active metabolite dihydrotestosterone (DHT) play a role in the development and progression of prostate cancer, the mechanism(s) are unclear. Furthermore, 5 alpha-reductase which catalyze the conversion of T to DHT, has been a target of manipulation in the treatment of prostatic cancer, hence synthetic 5 alpha-reductase activity inhibitors have shown therapeutic promise. To demonstrate that nutrients derived from dietary sources can exert similar therapeutic promise, this study was designed using benign hyperplastic cells (BHC) and malignant tumorigenic cells (MTC) derived from Lobund-Wistar (L-W) rat model of prostatic adenocarcinoma to test the effects of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and their 15-lipoxygenase metabolites on cellular 5 alpha-reductase activity. Our data revealed: (i) that incubation of MTC with [3H]-T resulted in marked conversion to [3H]-DHT when compared to similar incubation with BHC; (ii) that DHT-enhanced activity of 5 alpha-reductase was inhibited 80% by 15S-hydroxyeicosatrienoic acid, the 15-lipoxygenase metabolite of GLA, when compared to 55% by 15S-hydroxyeicosapentaenoic acid, the 15-lipoxygenase metabolite of EPA; and (iii) that their precursor fatty acids, respectively, exerted moderate inhibition. Taken together, the study underscores the biological importance of 15-lipoxygenase metabolites of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in androgen metabolism.

yea, this is just what i was looking for.

sounds like it worth a shot. kinda expensive though.

It is kinda expensive, but it's supposed to last two months. So it would be around $35 a month including shipping. That's IF you can get it to last two months. It appears that they give you about the same quantity as proactiv, but since you only use it once a day, they assume it will last two months. Like I noted above, if you're just using it on your face, it's quite possible that it will last that long.

yea, this is just what i was looking for.

sounds like it worth a shot. kinda expensive though.

It is kinda expensive, but it's supposed to last two months. So it would be around $35 a month including shipping. That's IF you can get it to last two months. It appears that they give you about the same quantity as proactiv, but since you only use it once a day, they assume it will last two months. Like I noted above, if you're just using it on your face, it's quite possible that it will last that long.

Ill probably just buy the lotion separatly, its 25$ and will be enough to at least test the product with minimal investment.

I have been using Clearogen for about 8 months and I have had wonderful results (It is amazing for hormonal acne)...I have tried everything to treat my acne since I was 15, I even tried 80 mg accutane for 6 months (I do not recommend it....because after 2 years I started breaking out again).... Within the past week I thought I would try something different on my skin, so I tried Jan Marini Bioclear cream and my face broke out like crazy... so now I am back on the Clearogen and my face is clearing up again!!!! By the way another product that works well with the clearogen is Physicians Formula Microdermabrasion for sensitive skin, I use it 3x a week........I hope this helps because I know how hard it is to suffer through never-ending breakouts.........I am now 24 and beginning to finally live my life without worrying about hiding my skin thanks to this product....... now I can look forward to the next stage in my life: wrinkles :dance::dance: ....

Wow, sounds like a really good product. Shall try it once it gets back in stock in folica.com .

Not available here in Australia :( .

If its just a salicylic acid cleanser & toner; and a benzoyl peroxide treatment cream/lotion, i`d suggest buying similar products at the store seperatly. Itd be much cheaper and i`d say it would work the same.

Try replacing the cleanser with something more gentle , the toner with neutrogena clear pore toner (its bright blueish in a clear bottle) dilute the toner 1 part toner to 1 part water, and the treatment lotion with dans bp gel. I used to use something similar to this when i was young and before becoming super sensitive (probably alergic to BP) and it worked very very well to keep me clear, i never experienced redness or irritation. Then again i think my skin was pretty tough.

Oh and i did use cetaphil moisturizer after toning cuz my skin would get dry sometimes.

In the morning i`d just wash and occasionally moisturize.

Uhh, I think you didn't read the ingredients list of the acne lotion right. It contains all the acids etc that are proven to inhibit DHT, the hormone promoting acne.

I wanna buy the acne lotion, because I've been searching all over the net about this product and all I see is positive reviews. Its currently out of stock on folica.com , and it would cost me $47 US from the clearogen site, just for the lotion including shipping to Aust. damm,, bit of a rip off, although its worth the money if it works.. and last 2 months. My acne is almost definitely hormonal, 99% of my breakouts are whiteheads, and they are mostly around my cheek/mouth/chin area.

Im planning to just use the lotion, and my own cleanser and toner, as the lotion has all the anti-DHT ingredients. Just to note, it was featured on the Tyra Banks show.

Has anyone broken out from this product??? I would like some feedback from everyone who has used it please :)

I do not want to be disappointed in this product just as much as I was disappointed with all the ProActiv hype... :naughty:

How does it help with healing existing acne? What about scars/marks??

Has anyone broken out from this product??? I would like some feedback from everyone who has used it please :)

I do not want to be disappointed in this product just as much as I was disappointed with all the ProActiv hype... :naughty:

How does it help with healing existing acne? What about scars/marks??

The original creator of this thread actually used it and gave his feedback, just look through the thread and you'll find it. I don't believe proactive is anything more effective than just standard BP gel, the thing with proactive is, that it has great advertising.

Once the excess oil production is regulated by the anti-DHT elements, bacteria and dirt are removed from pores through cleansing and toning, and the blemishes heal, and don't return.

In regards to scars marks, i'm not really sure, but I read on a review on the net (online skincare store) that it smooths out ur skin, and the gel does contain aloe vera gel, green tea etc etc so theres a possibility it could help with marks, but I don't think indented scars etc.

I understand how you feel about not wanting to be dissapointed, as I have been before. Ive spent well over a thousand dollars on skincare products for acne, and I hope this will be the last! Will probably order the gel soon.

Although, im trying a cheaper alternative (not sure if as effective) that I already have at home called Nizoral shampoo, which has an anti-fungal which is also an anti-androgen (anti-DHT - but different ingredients to the Clearogen), which I will use as a cleanser. Will see how that goes.

I just ordered the gel also. SHould be here soon. I'll let you know my results. I figure my acne is caused by DHT since i am also experiencing thinning hair.

Yes... DHT is the cause of male baldness. It slowly kills off the hair follice in simple terms... and the hair begins to thin, leading to baldness. All the hair regrowth medications outt here aim to inhibit DHT.

DHT stimulates overproduction of oil by the oil glands, so when you inhibit this product of oil, you can heal acne, because you are targeting the actual root cause of the problem. Many other products just try to attack acne bacteria and clear the pores, but this is only a temporary solution, because the DHT will always be behind the scenes stimulating over-production of sebum. So you would almost definitely find your face less oily by inhibiting DHT in the skin.

Remember, pretty much all cases of acne during puberty are caused by DHT, even in females. Im really surprised that this product isn't that popular, it should be. It owns proactive.

Cheers! hopefully ill be ordering the acne lotion tonight.. woot.

I think it isnt a permanent fix like accutane, but I read somewhere ur skin gets accommodated to less oil production, so u wud end up having 2 use less in the future. But hey, if it costs $27 for 2 months, its worth it.. if it works lol. I shud get mine within another couple of days.

I just got the lotion today in the mail. I was actually quite impressed. Granted I only applied it once so far, but it seemed to absorb very well and didnt leave my face looking shiney at all. actually looked pretty darn good. It feels good on my skin and didn't dry me out as much as most bp gels even though i used way too much. It does smell kinda funny, reminds me of play-doh, haha whatever. anyway, i will let you guys know my progress. Hopefully it works, but over the years ive learned not to get my hopes up too high.