Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
my acne

Hair Thinning-Please Help

I am on my 10th week of accutane. The result are going very well in regards to my skin. HOWEVER, I have dramatic hair thinning. My doctor told me that hair thinning can be permanent, and said that if I want I could stop. I don't know what to do because I am so far in, but my hair has thinned a great deal. I am in a huge dilemma and was wondering if anyone can help. By the way, I started noticing hair thinning the first week of medication, but I thought it would go away. Thank you.

I am on my 10th week of accutane. The result are going very well in regards to my skin. HOWEVER, I have dramatic hair thinning. My doctor told me that hair thinning can be permanent, and said that if I want I could stop. I don't know what to do because I am so far in, but my hair has thinned a great deal. I am in a huge dilemma and was wondering if anyone can help. By the way, I started noticing hair thinning the first week of medication, but I thought it would go away. Thank you.

fish oil, biotin, msm.. a whole lot of them.. reduced my hair thinning while on accutane.

fish oil, biotin, msm.. a whole lot of them.. reduced my hair thinning while on accutane.

:dance: yeah and read / bookmark this http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=1606726

SHOULD I STOP MEDICATION?

If you stop accutane prematurely, your acne may come back. If you don't stop it, you may experience further hair loss. When I was on accutane, I was told that the hair loss could be temporary. So really it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of stopping accutane early.

If you stop accutane prematurely, your acne may come back. If you don't stop it, you may experience further hair loss. When I was on accutane, I was told that the hair loss could be temporary. So really it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons of stopping accutane early.

I thought the 'accepted' wisdom on Accutane hair thinning is that it is usually temporary but that some people who have experienced it claim that their hair has not returned to pre Accutane condition and so there is a concern that it may be permenant.

OP - Sorry for your troubles. Have you tried reducing your daily dosage to see if that helps and taking the supplements suggested below?

My hair seemed to thin abit whilst I was on my course but it wasn't noticeable to anyone else particularly. Also my acne was very bad when I started Accutane so I really had no other option. On balance therefore (a little hair loss vs severe acne), a chose a little hair loss and hoped it would be temporary. If I had to decide between severe hair loss and mild or even severe acne - I would probably chose acne - as I girl I don't wanna be bald. However, this is a decision for you to make weighing up the pros and cons of your own situation. Good luck

:dance: yeah and read / bookmark this http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=1606726

Check your iron levels. Serious anemia prior to taking accutane can cause permanent hair loss even after taking Accutane - this is very rare so I don't want to alarm you too much. My dermatologist mentionned this to me prior to starting Accutane. Since then I have made sure to eat an iron rich diet! Plenty of green leafy veg every day, raisins, the occasional steak or an egg plus some tomato juice or OJ to wash it down with as the vitamin C enables your body to absorb the iron.

I tried to get an ansver to this question on other topics, but no one give me one...If I use Accutane in little dosage is it possible to have a hair loss, or is it just with big dosage??

Thanks!

I tried to get an ansver to this question on other topics, but no one give me one...If I use Accutane in little dosage is it possible to have a hair loss, or is it just with big dosage??

Thanks!