Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

OK - maybe I'm MAD.. but here's a thought/theory

I gave up smoking 11 days ago with the aid of Nicotene patches.

Now, every time I take a patch off (I have to replace one every 24 hours and it is recommended not to use on the same patch of skin for 7 days) my skin is flushed pink AND raised. And that patch of skin is itchy and remains raised for a couple of days - isn't this a healing response AND raising of the skin can only suggest some temporary swelling/surge of collagen??? - but..... what if there IS something in the nicotene patch that can help raise scars in the long term?????????

Anyway, I brought up this issue with an aesthetician I know - she said that it's possible that there is a beta in the tobacco plant (leaf or root) that could be used as a poultice that would induce healing/swelling/collagen growth.. and that much research takes place to creates synthetic versions of something that may occur naturally and be cheaply available (I mean, if it was something that we could do ourselves, no pharmaceutical company is going to make any money right???) and although some may see canabis as being an addictive drug ... isn't it also known that it is antiinflamatory and relieves severe pain and also has essential omegas... aka hemp???

I think there may be something in this - also, that thread I bumped up about Hebermin EGF ( epidermal growth factor) in Cuba : http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=6777 - there's something there too... and I know Anna has mentioned Renovas TGF work for sometime - but they are years away from release ... and this stuff is supposed to be available right now in Cuba.

I've got so much in my head at the moment - I keep thinking there's something BIG going down in Cuba right now that could lead to people getting some quick healing.

Does anyone know what is used to wrap a cigar? Is it a tobacco leaf or something else?

I hope you don't think I've gone off the rails completely ha ha .. but I'm kind of thinking aloud and I know the answers are out there. How to piece them together????

Miss Marple signs out biggrin.gif

Well Maya,

Interesting! I actually e-mailed the folks in Cuba about a month ago and they didn't think this would help indented scars. And yes, they use a big tobacco leaf to wrap cigars.

And, I was just looking up an acne treatment using nicotinamide (don't know if it related to nicotine) and it is supposed to be a great topical anti-inflammatory. Which makes me wonder if they are related at all considering your reaction.

But I think your main point is a good one. I think countries like China and Cuba could very well be the places where the next promising treatment comes from. No pesky FDA to get in the way of our quest for perfect skin.

Could you snip off a bit of the patch and put it on an indentation?

Onward!

Anna

Oh ... and I'm trying to track down this Cuban poster from another board and try and get him to find out if Hebermin is easily bought out there.

Oh I know - my whole theory could be a little crazy - but... think about it.. it is often only through some accident or something indirect that something new/good is discovered..

Now, about skin needling - it was Dr Des Fernandes in S.Africa who created the protocol for that term (although the concept has probably been around and used in other cultures) - he discovered that accident and trauma victims skin became flat and smooth after having permanent makeup put on them - he wasn't intending to use the tatoo gun to flatten the skin but just to add colour where there had been a loss of pigment. So - that has now become big business on thsi board for sure..

OK, my nicotene patch theory will have flaws - but still, there is something in it .. and I am going to try and get to the bottom of it and see what it is that is making the skin react that way...

Still, I know this is funny LOL!

Well, if this doesn't work - at least you can all have a laugh on me biggrin.gif ... but when you all see my name on some patent to do with nicotene scar patches -then I will have a good laugh all the way to the bank he he...

LOL!

Yes - I am definately noticing improvements in my skin from giving up smoking - my skin somehow has a better sheene to it.

LOVE - that is a great poster name!!

When I gave up smoking (just under 2 months ago) I noticed a good initial improvement in my face / red marks / scars. I think the improvement was short lived, or I just got used to it. My skin just looks better / worse according to what mood Im in typically. However, I know giving up smoking helped cos I was in a bad mood, hehe, and my skin still looked better smile.gif