Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all -

There have been a couple of posts about Finacea on these message boards, but I wanted to post my experience so that others may experience this fantastic topical!!

Finacea was approved in 2004 to treat the facial condition Rosacea - which can be accompanied by acne-like bumps. It has recently been prescribed to mild/moderate acne sufferers.

I just got a prescription for this on Friday 1/12, and I know it is too early to tell if it has lasting effects - but this gel is AMAZING.

It is a naturally occuring acid that has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. There is NO initial breakout. I do NOT feel dry at all. NO redness, NO flakiness.

Most of all - no new acne!!

This gel is also GREAT at reducing the appearance of red marks.

I have had acne off and on for 8 years and I have been on:

Proactiv

Benzaclin

Doxycycline

Yasmin (still on this, but had a major break out about 2 months ago)

Retin-A

This Finacea is totally different from anything else I have tried and it is just amazing. I read the reveiws of this drug on acne.org before I got my prescription and there is only one really bad review where it sounded like the user either put waaayyyyy too much on or was allergic to this medication (I'm not sure - don't want to make any assumptions).

I thought I'd throw this information out there because few doctors seem to be familiar with this drug (I had to ask for it specifically), and I thought it would be helpful for any one else who has mild/moderate acne and sensitive skin LIKE ME!!!

Please reply back with any questions you have, I am happy to answer!!

Right now I am just using this gel once a day - at night - and applying a very thin layer to my "affected areas" (as they so tactfully say on the label). I wash with Cetaphil Gentle Skin cleanser twice a day and apply Cetaphil SPF15 Daily Facial Moisturizer as needed

I really love finacea, it's a great product. especially if you have redness or red marks. i only used it for a brief period before accutane, maybe a few weeks, but it got rid of most of the redness almost immediately. i don't think my insurance covered it though, because it was like $40. also, it burns a bit when you put it on the first few times.

I agree that Finacea is pretty great for me as well. I just started using it this week for what my derm. says is perioral dermatitis. I'm also taking Doxy 2 times a day. It's only been a few days and I've definately seen a dramatic decrease in the redness around my mouth and nose so I'm happy. The Finacea stings a bit when you first put it on but that seems to go away after about 20 min. or so.

Just thought I'd post a little update 10 days into my Finacea use.

I have noticed that pimples go away dramatically faster now that I am using this product and that my new pimples have been very limited (probably they were lurking below the surface before I started the Finacea).

My red marks from previous pimples are much lighter. I feel very happy with this medicine!

It does sting a lot for the first few applications, though!

Update: Day 12!

Another update on my Finacea use. I now have about 7 small whiteheads that had been lurking below the surface. These would have normally surfaced as pauples or pustules, from past experience.

I think it is the Finacea that is making them smaller, with a shorter life cycle.

I am hoping these go away soon and then its just some red marks to deal with!

I was thinking about trying a retinoid but is this almost as effective as one of the retinoids?

I am going to wait until the "4 week" mark to say if I think this is as effective as a retinoid. I have been on Retin-A before and I remember the horrrrreeeeeeeennnnnnndus initial breakout and that it took a bit longer to start working but it really did its job.

The Finacea has less of an initial breakout (I definitely notice "zits in waiting" being brought to the surface as whiteheads though) and it is less harsh than a retinoid.

It is an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. My "two week" mark is tomorrow and my red marks have dramatically reduced and any blemishes that would normally be pauples or pustules for me have come out as smallish whiteheads - so I am just waiting for these to run their course. I have about 7 right now.

I will keep updating my progress though - just in case anyone cares or wants to try this medicine!

Yes - I will keep you all posted!! Anything we can do to help each other!

I hate it when people fall off the face of the earth once they plug something - I like to have follow up!

VAST improvement over the last 3 days.

The Finacea is really doing its job after the 2 week mark. My redmarks are fading dramatically and active acne has all but disappeared, just a few minor stragglers left that are on their way out.

Please try this topical if you are suffering like I was!!

Lulu,

Are you using it twice daily? If so, how long did you start on just one application?

I'll be starting it tonight, but my skin is still occasionaly dry from the 10% BP, so don't want to overdue it at all.

Yes, I didn't want to overdo it either!!

I used 1 application for about 6-7 nights (1 week), then did morning and night. It is realllllly not harsh though. I only gave myself a few day break between BP and this.

My tips for making sure to not get too dry are:

1. Make sure to rub it in really well!! I use a small circular motion to rub it in. Otherwise it forms kind of a crust like any other topical.

2. I use 1 pump of Cetaphil Daily Facial moisturizer about 15 minutes later. I pump into my hand and swirl around on my hands to absorb some of the moisturizer, then PAT onto my face very gently. I don't even need to use 1 whole pump. I only do the moisturizer in the morning.

Sorry it took me a while to respond to you - I haven't been obsessively on these boards because I am not obsessed with my acne anymore!!! I used to be on here all day long at work because my acne was all I thought about, but the Finacea has reallllllllllyyyyyyyyy helped me.

I was wondering if there is a generic brand of that since it may be a lot of money otherwise. In addition I was wondering if you would need to use it twice a day to see results since I would prefer only using it in th evening.

i used finacea for about 3 months now and i was ecstatic just like you lulu but after 3 months I've noticed some of it's drawbacks. While finacea is great at treating red marks left from acne, it isn't the best acne fighter. After months of daily use I am starting to get breakouts again. BP has been the best acne fighter but bp leaves red marks. As far as acne, finacea isn't that good. For treating red marks only, it's terrific

I was initially enthusiastic about this product after my derm gave me a small sample size of it (it cleared up one of my pimples in only one day - I mean it went from a small pimple to completely invisible), however, I decided to get a full prescription. I intended to use this product mainly for old scars left by acne, because I am completely clear besides these old scars. BIG MISTAKE. Within a day or two of using this product I noticed that it was producing hard bumps underneath my skin that took over two weeks to heal. Also, these bumps made my scars worse. I had maybe 2 scars on my forehead from where old pimples used to be - now I have about 10. It is going to take months for this to clear up. Finacea pretty much screwed up my good skin.

Finacea is truly a life-saver. I have used this for almost a year and the results are fabulous. The only thing that takes getting used to is the adjustment period, which burns and itches for about 15-30 minutes. The redmarks drastically fade to a point where they don't exist, and the pimples don't even pop up these days! Note that I was also on Minocycline at the time which I believe also helped alot, as the Minocycline probably stopped new pimples from coming up in order to let my skin heal without having new and interfering eruptions. Stay on it, It may hurt your wallet, but that's better than feeling down about your skin - your confidence will skyrocket, literally ;).

Finacea is truly a life-saver. I have used this for almost a year and the results are fabulous. The only thing that takes getting used to is the adjustment period, which burns and itches for about 15-30 minutes. The redmarks drastically fade to a point where they don't exist, and the pimples don't even pop up these days! Note that I was also on Minocycline at the time which I believe also helped alot, as the Minocycline probably stopped new pimples from coming up in order to let my skin heal without having new and interfering eruptions. Stay on it, It may hurt your wallet, but that's better than feeling down about your skin - your confidence will skyrocket, literally ;).

I just completed week 5 of my Finacea treatment. Breakouts have been reduced to almost non-existant and red marks are fading.

I really think this topical is different for everyone who uses it. My best friend has used this for over a year and it has never stopped working for her.

It is just like any other acne medication where it works for some and it doesn't work for some!

Are you using the gel or the cream? I was just prescribed the 15% cream, do you think that makes a difference? &&Thanks for the plug

I just completed week 5 of my Finacea treatment. Breakouts have been reduced to almost non-existant and red marks are fading.

I really think this topical is different for everyone who uses it. My best friend has used this for over a year and it has never stopped working for her.

It is just like any other acne medication where it works for some and it doesn't work for some!