Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kanmi

Anyone here using metrogel?

I just got a prescription for it today from my dermatologist. He also gave me some oracea to take. Is anyone using that either? And if so, how are your results? How long have you been using them? Thanks.

I haven't used it personally. My mom has rosacea and she has used it before. It really didn't make a dent in her skin. She has mild rosacea and is also in her 50's, but she's trying other things, at the moment. While she was on it she experienced dryness and flairups, but perhaps, it varies due to age and person to person basis.

I'd rather not play science experiment on my face. I did that once, and I still have two nice shiny hypertrophic scars from that.

I used it for a while. When my acne was really bad my whole face was bright red, so every derm I saw was convinced I had both cystic acne and acne rosacea. One derm (not my current one) prescribed it and I must say it was the only topical I've ever used that felt soothing to apply. It did take down some of the redness, and my face didn't hurt as much when I was using it, but I only used it for about 6 weeks, then I started Accutane......and said bye-bye to topicals....

My face is much better, but my derm is still convinced I have rosacea.....maybe I do, maybe I don't. My face does flush a little if I'm hot, stressed, or rubbing lotion on..... and burns if I rub it with a towel or washcloth, but other than that.....it's clear and not red at all......

I have used Metrogel off and on for about a couple of years. It's fairly effective with the papules and pustules associated with rosacea. Newer MetroGel topicals are less harsh on the skin. Some prefer the MetroCream.

My mom used MetroCream as well, and it worked wonders for her skin. It really keeps everything at bay.

kanmi, I have been using metrogel since Oct. '06. When I first got it, a couple weeks later I thought it was the miracle drug I have been looking for. But couple weeks later, back to my previous state. So, you can tell I was pretty bummed out about it. I have some what noticeable capillaries under my eyes and bumps on my cheeks and under my mouth. I now just use it for the under my eyes and on my nose.

Well, yesterday I went to the doctor, and she prescribed Oracea. I havent started it yet........

Have you tried this stuff yet??

Kanmi: I am perplexed as to why your derm gave you metrogel. Metrogel is used for rosacea marked by pimples and inflammation. From what you have posted, it seems that your problems are flushing, blushing and burning, not pimples or "acne rosacea". I also remember reading that you just finished Accutane a month ago so I would assume your skin is free of pimples, it is just red and so terribly thin that it burns. Metrogel cannot control flushing, blushing and burning. I cannot believe with all the redness and burning you have been experiencing, that a derm would actually give you any sort of topical at all. Your skin needs to rest! Am I wrong or missing something here?

Yeah I didn't understand it either MrsZ. I never used the metrogel. But I actually am starting to break out again. Tons of little tiny clogged pores are coming to the surface, and i've gotten about 6 actual zits since being off of accutane.

Yeah I didn't understand it either MrsZ. I never used the metrogel. But I actually am starting to break out again. Tons of little tiny clogged pores are coming to the surface, and i've gotten about 6 actual zits since being off of accutane.

Thank you. Yeah, it is devestating but I have my own way of handling it that works.

I've been using Finacea, I even have applied retin-a micro twice so far. The finacea has actually been helping with the redness I believe. And the retin-a hasn't made me more red or anything but it did make my skin get kind of flaky. I just exfoliated and it's fine.

I also ordered a sample of green cream which i'm going to try, rosacea or not. My scars and acne have been the source of my severe depression for 7 years now and I am going to have surgery to attempt to correct my scars in a few months time. I can't put that off any longer. And I have to have clear skin to be able to do that, so I have to use something.

Thank you. Yeah, it is devestating but I have my own way of handling it that works.

I've been using Finacea, I even have applied retin-a micro twice so far. The finacea has actually been helping with the redness I believe. And the retin-a hasn't made me more red or anything but it did make my skin get kind of flaky. I just exfoliated and it's fine.

I also ordered a sample of green cream which i'm going to try, rosacea or not. My scars and acne have been the source of my severe depression for 7 years now and I am going to have surgery to attempt to correct my scars in a few months time. I can't put that off any longer. And I have to have clear skin to be able to do that, so I have to use something.

Kanmi - I think the Financea is a much better product for rosacea related pimples than Metrogel (I have used both).

On the topic surgery for scars. I am 43 now. I had chicken pox when I was 13 that left scars everywhere, some very deep, acne from 15- 18 that left scars, a freak accident at 17 that left a long scar directly under my left eyebrow, and a childhood fall that left a long scar under my right eye. I also had drop dead girlfriends in high school and college with clear skin, who seemed to get more guys than me. Needless to say by age 19 my skin was full of scars from all of this. I vowed that when I when I could afford it I would have surgery on the scars. Fast forward to age 32. I got an appointment with the best dermatologic plastic surgeon in NYC. We met and he asked me what I wanted done. I pointed out every scar on my face. He looked me blank in the face and said "I don't see what you talking about, you are a very attractive girl and I see no reason you need surgery." I couldn't believe what he was saying, was he blind?. Surely, he was wrong and had some other motive. But then I thought about it, he could have made huge bucks by operating on me and he chose not too. I want to add one more thing - I started using retin-a when I was 28, 4 years before I met him - so that MIGHT have helped diminish my scars. But, it is also possible, I was just really self-critical. And last but not least, my girlfriends - when I went to my high school reunion I learned two things: 1) Lots of guys had crushes on me, it was just that they were intimidated by me because they perceived me as intelligent and distant, although the truth was I hid my insecurity behind toughness and aloffness, and 2) my girlfriends put out easily and I didn't.

I am not trying to tell you "you are imagining things" or any of the other things you have heard on this forum trying to convince you not to be depressed about your looks. But, there is alot of value in my experience and maybe you should wait a few year until you committ to surgery.

I'm glad to hear you perservered through all of that. You're very strong. I have been thinking about plastic surgery to fix my scars ever since I was 13, and since then, i've gotten even more scars. So I have had many years to think about this. I just can't wait anymore.

MrsZ - thanks for sharing your story. Truly life can be hard on us, that is for sure, but what doesnt kill us only makes us stonger (sometimes easier said though). We can, myself especially, be very hard and critical of ourselves. We expect more from our looks. I have always lived under the assumption that some people look in the mirror, they have trouble dealing with what they really see there, I never look in the mirror.

Doesnt matter what others may say, we still have our doubts about ourselves, especially after years and years dealing with acne, or blushing, or whatever!! But to me, it does sound like you are a great person, and I think we can all learn from you. Thanks!!

Kanmi - Are you still taking Oracea, or did you ever start?? And what is Financea??

Hi kanmi, do you think the finacea helped your hypertrophic scar is redness or bumpiness? I may want to ask Dr. Alkek prescribe it to me for help with the chronic redness in my scars. Some days in the morning just from having fluid go to my face at night it really looks bad. Then it will get better and worse thruout the day. I do think stress and flushing make it worse but never been diagnosed with rosacea, just scars. What surgery are you having done btw?

Hey Kanmi, are you sure your acne (err whatever problems you are having) merits surgery? Seriously, I know you have already heard me say this to you but YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL! I don't believe you should do this, alas I can't stop you but please listen to me! Also, would you post a picture of your current state? See you space cowboy...:)

Hey Kanmi, are you sure your acne (err whatever problems you are having) merits surgery? Seriously, I know you have already heard me say this to you but YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL! I don't believe you should do this, alas I can't stop you but please listen to me! Also, would you post a picture of your current state? See you space cowboy...:)

Surgery as in laser resurfacing. Sorry I guess I should say laser resurfacing instead. I'm going to go for Fraxel. And if it makes my rosacea worse doing that, then i'll go see Dr. Darm and get IPL treatments for the rosacea.

Surgery as in laser resurfacing. Sorry I guess I should say laser resurfacing instead. I'm going to go for Fraxel. And if it makes my rosacea worse doing that, then i'll go see Dr. Darm and get IPL treatments for the rosacea.

Thank you Tricia. Well I don't think IPL is really meant to treat scars anyways. I think it's mostly just for skintone and pigment.