Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wanted to let everyone know about this site that Jess posted about earlier today all about Green Smoothies!! You can post recipes, testimonials, etc. EDIT: The link below no longer works - the forum must have been closed down.

I don't know if I am allowed to post this here; if not, forgive me! I am more of a lurker than a poster, but do read the board often. I think green smoothies are great and have been drinking them daily for the past two months or so. I am a former 100% raw foodist, now my diet ranges from 50 to 90% raw, depending on the day.

Anyway, since I have read about green smoothies not only here but on many different forums, I thought I would start one specifically for green smoothies: http://www.greensmoothielovers.com/forum. I hope to develop the rest of the site soon, but for now it is just a forum. I would love to see all of you there!

Thanks,

Jessica

P.S. My favorite green smoothie lately has been very simple: mango, pineapple, kale, and water. I love how thick and creamy it gets (from the mango maybe?).

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

Every green smoothie I ever made tasted like crap

Well that was constructive.

If you made it and it tasted like crap, who's fault is that?

Sorry guys wasn't bashing green smothies at all. I meant exactly what I typed how I typed it.

Every one "I" ever made did taste like crap. I followed several recipes some of you posted and they still were crap far as taste is concerned. I would do them for my health if there was one that I could get passed my taste buds safely.

I'm a huge fan of green smoothies too but they didn't keep me clear. My derm says it's my hormones. Anyway I like them because they make me feel really good. Also if you don't like the taste maybe try drinking through a straw? :)

:lol: Honestly I don't know if these will cure people of acne, but, I think this 1 tastes pretty good:

1 banana, 1 apple, juice of 1/2 lime (opt), 250ml water, baby leaf spinach ( I use about 2 to 3 large handfuls but less = a sweeter drink).

:lol: Honestly I don't know if these will cure people of acne, but, I think this 1 tastes pretty good:

1 banana, 1 apple, juice of 1/2 lime (opt), 250ml water, baby leaf spinach ( I use about 2 to 3 large handfuls but less = a sweeter drink).

Even if they can't ultimately cure acne, they definitely are good for skin and general health.

I have trouble digesting raw vegetables, so I steam them with water before blending, along with the water I cooked them in to get some of the nutrition that has leeked out. Before, when I did them raw, my lips were chapped all the time. (weak spleen, according to http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=53)

I made some green smoothies with spinach, too much spinach - that in combination with vitamin A supplements gave me an adverse reaction....my entire body went red and tingly for an hour and a half - beware the spinach:)

Thanks for suggesting the steaming idea.

The problem for those who don't have a vitamix juicer champion or LaLanne or whatever is that it's hard to blend those leaves. Steaming them would make them softer and wetter and definitely helps the process.

I made some green smoothies with spinach, too much spinach - that in combination with vitamin A supplements gave me an adverse reaction....my entire body went red and tingly for an hour and a half - beware the spinach:)

Hello ABG

I don't have a much time right now but just wanted to send a big thank you and give something back to this forum. :surprised: The green smoothies and a diet similar to yours are providing a miracle for me. For thirty years I've dealt with this disease in a moderate form. Mino, two cycles of accutane and more illegal, mailorder tane just to maintain. However, the situation was looking bad, as I was preparing mentally to go back to the derm crying for a maintenance dose I decided to try a sugarless, no dairy, no coffee ,eat healthy, lots of water approach to the problem. Even though all the doctors say diet has no effect, I just thought I had to try hollistic something. I've tried various combos of supplements with no result in the past. It was May 2 when I started the new diet with no results.Then, ten days ago I tried the smoothies, pounding back 3 to 4 pints a day. It has been just like being on 200 mgs of minocycline or 40mgs of accutane.(without the side effects) The existing pimples have heeled at an extremely rapid rate, NOTHING new has popped up since starting the smoothies. It seems too good to be true, I wish I had pictures. I'm not saying this is going to work for everyone, but it's working for me. THANKYOU!

Tanejunkie,

Thanks so much for writing, and I am THRILLED to hear of your success so far!!!! I really hope your results continue, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't! Your body has responded really quickly! Are you doing mostly cruciferous greens like spinach and kale? I'm starting to think that doing at a least a few smoothies every week with cruciferous greens is essential for clear skin, because I've recently, by accident, gone a week without any cruciferous greens (only used spring mix) and got a new bump on my chin! This is the second time in the last month that this has happened (that never happens to me!), and both times, I had gone nearly a whole week without any cruciferous greens, which is something I rarely ever do, as I try to include lots of cruciferous veggies in my diet. Seems the spring mix lettuce wasn't enough.... Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there! So glad you're doing so well!! :)

Hi ABG Fairy,

Yes, spinich seems to be the kicker. Although I believe what you said(or Dr. Fuhrman) about a good mix of greens. I use spinich, romaine lettuce, and Kale so far. A large handful of combined greens is the first thing in the blender. I did read something about spinich not being a good idea to consume daily because of oxalates. However further research leads me to believe there's no concern about high intakes of spinich when raw. Everything about Kale seems to be great. And Romaine is a high vitamin, high mineral leafy green as well. Only one batch of spinich I've purchased so far was organic. I haven't read what Dr. Fuhrman says about organic vs non so far but it hasn't seemed to matter.

You are a fairy with a life saving message. I hope your week has been as great as mine. Regards. TJ

Thanks TJ!

Yes, I discovered that raw spinach is okay too as far as the oxalates are concerned, and spinach is actually one of those greens that is better to do organic if possible, as it's sprayed pretty heavily with pesticides. You might find this list helpful: http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controver...toptobuyorg.htm

Happy Smoothie Making!

~ ABG Fairy, who's currently enjoying a very simple, but tasty, spinach/banana smoothie. :)