Notifications
Clear all

Microdroplet Question

MemberMember
(@skinquest)

Posted : 01/12/2007 11:38 am

I was thinking of going out of state to get microdroplet with Dr. Alkek in Dallas. I need to fly in and out the same day.

My question is how long does an appointment typically take. I have a lot of scarring on both cheecks and forehead. Also, how bad do you look after a treatment as far as going out in public? Are you black and blue? Can you wear makeup?

Lastly, I'm sure this is variable, but how many treatments does it take to get good correction? Could it be as many as 10 or more?

MemberMember
(@dan-t)

Posted : 01/12/2007 12:42 pm

Hi Skinquest -

They will put numbing cream on your face and you will sit for about 30 minutes until it takes effect. He then comes into the room and places a spotlight above your face at different angles and marks the shadows with a q-tip with what appears to be iodine (or some brown liquid). He then lays you back on the table and treats the areas marked. The treatment takes 5 to 10 minutes. The nurse then comes back in and places cold packs on the areas treated for about 5 minutes then removes your numbing cream. The whole process takes about an hour. On the first visit, they take photos of both sides of your face with a spotlight on the areas. I had sever scarring originally and have seen pretty decent improvement with 6 sessions. I am going to wait a while and maybe go back for a touch up or two or maybe not. You will see results begin about 3 to 4 weeks after treatment and they seemed to continue with me for a couple of months. It did not leave my skin perfect but it has helped quite a bit to replace deep tissue that was lost from the severe cystic acne that I suffered for 13 years.

For several days afterward, there is some bruising and slight swelling but I had no problem going out in public after each treatment. I usually scheduled late in the day then went to work the next day. I would sometimes get an occasional look or two but most people didn't seem to take notice of the bruising.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to PM me. I am not sure about the makeup, you may want to call and ask his nurse.

Dan

I was thinking of going out of state to get microdroplet with Dr. Alkek in Dallas. I need to fly in and out the same day.

My question is how long does an appointment typically take. I have a lot of scarring on both cheecks and forehead. Also, how bad do you look after a treatment as far as going out in public? Are you black and blue? Can you wear makeup?

Lastly, I'm sure this is variable, but how many treatments does it take to get good correction? Could it be as many as 10 or more?

MemberMember
(@skinquest)

Posted : 01/12/2007 1:37 pm

Thank you for such a full description of the office visit and procedure.

When you say the injection part takes about ten minutes, is he filling all of the scars or does he pick and choose among the worst? I did not have cystic acne, but I had 20 years of your run-of-the-mill acne and resulting scars, and it's hard to imagine five or ten minutes is enough time to fill all of the scars.

I am actually recovering from a full face CO2 laser peel. I'm on Day 9. It's been grueling. I realize it's often not successful, but I decided I would give it a try and then when I'm healed, go to Dr. Alkek. Of course I'll call and ask them the appropriate amount of time to wait before going for the injections.

Right now, I don't see one scar on my whole face. Of course my face is absolutely raw and swollen, totally unfit for public, but I'm enjoying this temporary moment of not seeing scars, which will certainly reappear as the swelling subsides, but hopefully improved. I'm trying to find something positive since I've been shut in the house for nine days straight!

MemberMember
(@orlandoguy)

Posted : 01/12/2007 3:38 pm

Don't be so sure that your scars will come back. I had a pretty deep scar that was completely healed by the erbium laser. And I know CO2 is more ablative that the erbium laser.

Like I said, I just had the erbium laser, but I think he went a little deeper than most docs. It took 3 weeks just for my skin to grow back. It's been over a month and it's still healing. After such a long healing process and your entire skin being blasted off, I don't see how any scars could come back and look the same as they did before. It's like having all layers of skin torn from your face and your body replacing that skin with completely new smooth skin. This laser stuff is more serious then some people think.

Follow your post op directions carefully....keep it covered with aquaphor....and don't touch or pick at it.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@skinquest)

Posted : 01/12/2007 4:13 pm

Hope you're right about not seeing those scars again. Anything is possible. A couple days ago I would have settled for my skin the way it was before the procedure, it was such a difficult and long process.

MemberMember
(@dan-t)

Posted : 01/12/2007 4:18 pm

Skinquest -

All the best on your healing. It sounds like you are probably over the worst by the 9th day. Since you have just had resurfacing, your scars should be less than what they were previously.

With the silicone, we concentrated on the worst areas for the first two or three sessions, those tended to be in the cheek areas and along the jaw line. He goes along the scar line for more linear scars and goes more in a cluster pattern on the saucer shaped scars. The injections seem to be a few millimeters apart. On the third and later sessions, he expanded out and treated some of the areas on my forehead and temple areas. The actual injections take maybe 10 minutes or so.

Check with his staff to see how long you should wait after your current treatment and healing to get started. Since you did not have the cystic acne like I did, you may not have as many sessions as I did. He will be able to give you an estimate the first time that he sees you on how many sessions it will take and if he can treat all of the face in one session. I would guess that my case was a more extreme one.

Keep us apprised on your healing progress.

Dan

MemberMember
(@orlandoguy)

Posted : 01/12/2007 6:14 pm

Ah, I know how you feel. I had to keep aquaphor on my face for 24 hours a day for three weeks, didn't want to leave the house, and had to do cleanser and vinegar soaks 5 times a day. Very very frustrating. It was definitely worth it though. I'm still pretty red, but my skin is pretty smooth now where the scar once was.

I hope you have similar results. I only did one area on my nose, so our situations are different.

MemberMember
(@skinquest)

Posted : 01/12/2007 6:36 pm

I did not realize how difficult the erbium laser healing process was. In fact, I was thinking, I should have sought out the erbium laser so I wouldn't have to suffer so much and so long. I guess I don't have to wonder about that any more, judging from your experience.

What I understand is that it can take months to heal as far as swelling, and six months or more to see any new collagen formation, so I'm not going to get too excited yet. My doctor told me it would take more than one CO2 peel to get good results for acne scarring and I do not have the stomach to do this again.

Dan T, thanks for spelling out all the information and the description of what happens during the visits. That answers a lot of questions. I am really appreciative that there are people like you on this site that have sought out and tried these different treatments and stuck around to discuss their success, or lack of. I don't think I would have the courage to try something this unusual without hearing from people that have sort of experimented with it. I will definitely be back after a couple of these treatments to give my assessment of how successfully it treats my scars.

MemberMember
(@trager)

Posted : 01/19/2007 12:47 am

I just had my first appt with Dr. Alkek today. The longest part of the procedure is waiting for the numbing cream to kick it. The procedure is exactly how Dan explained it. I hopped on a plane right after the appt and no one seemed to stare. It almost just looks like red pimples from some of the needle pricks. The staff there is awesome as well. If you are flying, give yourself about an hour to get from the airport to his office. The traffic seemed to be backed up on every xway I got on.

Dr. Alkek said that they used 5/10ths of silicone on me, because my scars were pretty bad. I was wondering if anyone who had it done, remembers how much they used?

As far as pictures, they seem to take a crapload of them at his office. I wonder if they would give me a copy to post on here?

MemberMember
(@dan-t)

Posted : 01/19/2007 11:35 am

Hey Trager - My experience with the treatment has been like yours. I have had some reddened areas afterward but no one really seems to notice. It almost looks like a slight bruise or a series of small bruises that fade in a few days.

Let me know how long until you begin to see results. Mine generally start to show in about 3 weeks and seem to very gradually continue for about 2 months from the time of treatment. I guess I got about 10% or a bit more improvement each time but then again, I was a severe case even considering the previous excisions, dermabrasions and subscisions.

Dan

MemberMember
(@tp85)

Posted : 01/21/2007 10:10 pm

I just had my first appt with Dr. Alkek today. The longest part of the procedure is waiting for the numbing cream to kick it. The procedure is exactly how Dan explained it. I hopped on a plane right after the appt and no one seemed to stare. It almost just looks like red pimples from some of the needle pricks. The staff there is awesome as well. If you are flying, give yourself about an hour to get from the airport to his office. The traffic seemed to be backed up on every xway I got on.

Dr. Alkek said that they used 5/10ths of silicone on me, because my scars were pretty bad. I was wondering if anyone who had it done, remembers how much they used?

As far as pictures, they seem to take a crapload of them at his office. I wonder if they would give me a copy to post on here?

MemberMember
(@boxscar)

Posted : 01/22/2007 9:40 pm

do any of you have before/after pics?

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 01/22/2007 10:41 pm

do any of you have before/after pics?
MemberMember
(@boxscar)

Posted : 01/23/2007 4:17 am

ylem, i'm excited to see your after pics. I don't know if my scars are deep enough to get microdroplet done, and how many i'd need to get all up, especially if it's going to take years. i'm thinking of doing TCA CROSS on the ice picks then going for microdroplet given i can afford it. if i may ask, around how much did the surgery cost you?

MemberMember
(@pc101)

Posted : 01/24/2007 7:49 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what happens if a pimple forms underneath the silicone?

MemberMember
(@tjb830)

Posted : 01/24/2007 9:50 pm

Live in northern burbs of Chi-town. Second microdroplet injection last week. Nurse (who performed injections) states that 80% of her SMD injections are in the lips. She took several close up pictures prior to first injection. Requested I return for 'after' photos even IF I don't return for additional SMD treatments.

OLD skin; OLD scars. With age, and low body fat - face shows every scar. Did much research and evaluated risk versus reward. Comprehensive release to sign prior to first injection. $300 per session. SMD injections directly through bound down scars were painful.

Result after first visit (December 9):

5 ice picks & box cars. 2 rolling. These scars are the MOST bothersome to me.

Only 1 ice pick showed noticeable improvement in diameter & depth after 3 weeks.

Result after second visit: (1 1/2 weeks ago)

4 ice picks & box cars improved in depth; 2 of the 4 also improved in diameter.

1 ice pick - no impact

2 rolling - ? impact

Pleased with results to date.

At this time, don't plan to do additional injections. Will wait another couple of weeks for any additional improvement. Because of her interest, I do plan to return to the office for 'after' photos. Will advise IF she posts the BEFORE & AFTER photos on their website.

MemberMember
(@pyro123)

Posted : 01/24/2007 10:02 pm

Live in northern burbs of Chi-town. Second microdroplet injection last week. Nurse (who performed injections) states that 80% of her SMD injections are in the lips. She took several close up pictures prior to first injection. Requested I return for 'after' photos even IF I don't return for additional SMD treatments.
MemberMember
(@tkefsc)

Posted : 01/24/2007 11:55 pm

Is this in New York? guys i want someone local around NJ,NY. Soren white was recommeneded but he jack his prices up to $600 per injection.

I am wondering if i am a perfect candidate for silicone or TCA CROSS .. check my pics please. I also have a question.. is there a need to use EFG creams, makes sense that you will get better results?

MemberMember
(@krugstoneco)

Posted : 01/25/2007 10:31 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what happens if a pimple forms underneath the silicone?
MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 01/25/2007 6:05 pm

Same thing that happens when a pimple forms anywhere, it goes away with time.

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 01/25/2007 8:43 pm

Same thing that happens when a pimple forms anywhere, it goes away with time.

MemberMember
(@drewboy)

Posted : 01/26/2007 12:20 pm

Ive had 2 treatments performed by Dr. Alkek. He said originally Id need 3 treatments but he narrowed that down to 2 after seeing how well my first results turned out. After my 2nd round of treatments Ive seen extremely noticeable improvement.

I know Ive tryed many different things, but this procedure by far has exceeded my expectations. I think everyone must keep in mind that you need to have this done by a qualified individual.

MemberMember
(@billyboy)

Posted : 01/26/2007 3:05 pm

Drewboy, Congrats on fantastic news. Each of my treatments to date has not met my expectations, so it is great to hear of your success. I know you have a positive attitude, which is a good thing. How would you rate effectivenss of silicone to your other treatments?

I have read a little about microdroplet beyond these boards - it seems very promising. From what I read, it is mostly for larger, rolling scars. I think I have a few of these. I understand it is not for scarred pores or tiny icepicks. My derm said they were too small for subcision or the fillers he uses, but he is not an expert at acne scar correction and does not do silicone. Anyway, I am curious to learn more about the types of scars treated and your progress so far.

To all others, do you know of a good derm in CA that does this? If not, would a Dr Allek patient mind asking Dr Allek if he can suggest someone in SF Bay Area that does this.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@tp85)

Posted : 01/26/2007 7:26 pm

Drewboy, Congrats on fantastic news. Each of my treatments to date has not met my expectations, so it is great to hear of your success. I know you have a positive attitude, which is a good thing. How would you rate effectivenss of silicone to your other treatments?

I have read a little about microdroplet beyond these boards - it seems very promising. From what I read, it is mostly for larger, rolling scars. I think I have a few of these. I understand it is not for scarred pores or tiny icepicks. My derm said they were too small for subcision or the fillers he uses, but he is not an expert at acne scar correction and does not do silicone. Anyway, I am curious to learn more about the types of scars treated and your progress so far.

To all others, do you know of a good derm in CA that does this? If not, would a Dr Allek patient mind asking Dr Allek if he can suggest someone in SF Bay Area that does this.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 01/26/2007 9:02 pm

Thanks

According to Dr. Alkek, there's a test that you can do on yourself to see if you have the right scars for this treatment (filler). Just stretch or pinch your skin, on both sides of each scar. If you can't see them when you do this, then fillers will work.