Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alottascars

pores help

Hey everyone - I have done some reading on here and this seems like a great board. You all seem to have a ton of knowledge. I was wondering what you thought I could do. I went on accutane 6 yrs ago and tho it cleared up my acne, my skin never really healed. I still have "rolling" scars and huge pores where the acne used to be (mid forehead is really bad). The sides of my forehead are smooth bc I never really had acne thre... but a lot of my skin is like an orange peel. I it. It seems to get worse as I get older too (collagen loss I am told). I am only 24.

Does anyone else have similar issues or has had success with treating this? It really does look bad up close... far away at least it's not that noticeable... unless I am in certain light. These are the best pix I could take - it's not an easy thing to capture digitally... so it'll give you an idea but not 100% of the story. I know people on here have much worse cases - so I'm not saying I'm one of those cases - just that I would like to improve what I have. I really just want SMOOTH skin!

Thanks

<<<update - i took the pix down>>>

Thanks Julian - i agree it's not one of the bad cases that are on here a lot. It is technically an accutane "success story" I guess. Do you notice how the holes/pores are very visible in the middle and not on the left and right of my forehead? I'm just trying to find something that will make my whole forehead smooth. It looks more uneven in person really. My nose is full of blackheads / big pores too. And of course, I am my own worse critic.

Oh - also some browsers shrink the image bc it is too big for the screen - so you need to rt-click and you'll get this orange box to expand the image.... better magnification.

Retin-A Micro .1% would be your best bet, I'll bet. I've personally had good success with it in the past for similar enlarged pores/shallow acne scarring. You may only need to apply it every other day or every third day for a few months to see noticable improvements.

I think the Micro versions are best because you get max medicine without as much irritation as the regular versions. Also, being a gel, it's great for oily skin. Be advised that if you try to use it every day, you will probably get pretty red, and may be discouraged to continue treament. That's why I think you should use it every third day, and then advance maybe to every other day, and when your skin looks too red from every other day, switch back to every third day. You'll get the instincts down as to the frequency of application. I think you will see noticable results with this method. Remember, Retin-A is a drug, and it's strong, so every day application is not necessary. If you can handle it every day, then fine, but by the looks of your skin tone, I'd say the every other day/every third day routine will be best.

I think you would also benefit from some kind of AHA peel or microdermabrasions. You can obtain the corundum crystals yourself and mix them with an oil or cream and simulate a professional microdermabrasion, controlling the depth depending on how aggressive you are with your fingertips when you scrub. It's called "home microdermabrasion", and it may work for your type of scars, also. You can research this on the web, more. AHA and home microdermabrasion exfoliate the skin, which should enhance the effects of Retin-A by making it easier to permeate the skin. Again, you will have to be instinctive to know what frequency is best for whatever exfoliation method you choose.

Hope this helps. It has worked for me for modest to good improvements, but no miracles!

You don't have any scars IMO - you have large pores (not even very large to be honest)

Try peels - lactic peels are good to start with..

Also, Retin-a-micro or

also mandelic acid or

also vinegar method.

You have a few minor scars on your forehead, but I don't think that you have unusually large pores. Maybe you could do some lactic acid peels.

ok obviously the lighting caused some issues ...i put my face ON the scanner - i dont have nose hairs that stick out like that in reality - but when smushed up against the platen glass - that's how they look...and also this is magnified 10x. but thanks for the tip about clipping them...actually, my nose doesn't even look like that ski jump thing in the pic - it was bc of the lighting and having to lay my face on the scanner...

ugh who cares. my skin looks great according to yall so I shoudl go party now then huh.

here's an experiment...if you have scars or big pores... put a flashlight under your face and see how you look - then put it above your head... then shine it right on your face (like my pix) and you'll see which one you look the best in (shining it right on your face). and do it on each side.

ANYWAY, thanks for the constructive posts. ill follow up on your advice and see how it goes. I am going to take down my pix now.

Actually,

Men do have some estrogen too!

Hmmm - smooth skin and a big pair of boobies for the guys? he he.. I like it.  

Tazorac is the best topical for big pores and blackheads and also the best for collagan formation.

Tazorac is the best topical for big pores and blackheads and also the best for collagan formation.

TG, when I looked up Tazorac on google, it brought this up in conjunction with psoriasis. How did you find out about using it for big pores, blackheads and collagen formation?

Thanks for the welcome! I'm doing ok but still get sad every now and then. Still doesn't seem quite real esp. now that I'm back at home.

Hmmmm, ok, I will go and check it out that way...and will talk to my doc about it when I go in for my next smoothbeam.

Have a great rest of the week!