Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
damn.forehead

Persistent forehead bumps

Hi, I'm 26 and have never posted before. I had really bad acne when younger, and went through all different types of treatments which didn't work for me (the pill, retin A, various antibiotics, arithromycin cream ...), until I tried accutane (when I was 18) which basically permanently got rid of my body acne and most of the cystic acne I had on my cheeks and chin. Yay!

So ... my skin is way better than it was when I was a teenager. But (like most others on this board) I thought by 26 I would be totally acne free, and I'm definitely not. If I follow "the regimen" it keeps things under control and I don't really break out too much or too often, but I *always* have these damn little bumps (I don't even know if I would call them zits, exactly -- they never become poppable, and they are never very red, basically skin-colored), mostly on my forehead but in other places on my face as well, that just never go away, and nothing seems to help get rid of them. My skin is never smooth.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions, preferably not those that involve going to a dermatologist, 'cause that's never really seemed to help .... Thanks in advance for any help!! :)

To be specific, here is what my forehead always looks like, no matter what I do (pic not too clear, but hopefully you get the idea):

forehead.jpg

Hello,

I actually had the same problem as you...and from what I heard, it´s cause by too little moisture. So in other words, try to moisturize your forehead more frequently and use some scrub now and again.

Hope this help.

Hello,

I actually had the same problem as you...and from what I heard, it´s cause by too little moisture. So in other words, try to moisturize your forehead more frequently and use some scrub now and again.

Hope this help.

Hi, I'm 26 and have never posted before. I had really bad acne when younger, and went through all different types of treatments which didn't work for me (the pill, retin A, various antibiotics, arithromycin cream ...), until I tried accutane (when I was 18) which basically permanently got rid of my body acne and most of the cystic acne I had on my cheeks and chin. Yay!

So ... my skin is way better than it was when I was a teenager. But (like most others on this board) I thought by 26 I would be totally acne free, and I'm definitely not. If I follow "the regimen" it keeps things under control and I don't really break out too much or too often, but I *always* have these damn little bumps (I don't even know if I would call them zits, exactly -- they never become poppable, and they are never very red, basically skin-colored), mostly on my forehead but in other places on my face as well, that just never go away, and nothing seems to help get rid of them. My skin is never smooth.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions, preferably not those that involve going to a dermatologist, 'cause that's never really seemed to help .... Thanks in advance for any help!! :)

To be specific, here is what my forehead always looks like, no matter what I do (pic not too clear, but hopefully you get the idea):

forehead.jpg

Hmm, I had never heard of "milia" before -- my brief research says it is something like whiteheads, but not exactly the same thing? Are they the kind of thing that accutane helps with? When I did my first course of accutane way back when, I was mostly concerned w/ the cysts, and it totally helped with that ... I didn't even pay attention to this kind of stuff.

Also, I've never had an acne facial before, and it sounds kind of expensive, but if having one would be a big improvement I would definitely try it. I just wouldn't be able to afford to have lots of them.

I just hate how these bumps are always there and always the same no matter what I do to my skin. Ugh.

Hey damn.forehead!

Omg, you have my skin!!! I'm 27, have had acne since 13, been treated with antibiotics, topicals and finally Accutane which cleared it up for awhile. But now I am stuck with forehead bumps (exactly like yours) and very occasional mild acne in the T-zone. My husband always says, it's not acne , it just looks like rough skin. But that's cool, now I know it's milia.

Anyway, on to my advice. I REALLY didn't want to get back on Accutane, so I decided to try Retin-A and suprisingly it's working! I still have some of the little bumps, but there are areas of my forehead that are clear and smooth as a baby's bottom (like my husband's entire forehead which makes me sick!). I haven't been on it that long so hopefully it will be completely smooth after awhile.

Another thing great about using a retinoid is that it prevents and treats wrinkles. People who have used it look much younger than others their age when they get older. Which is really nice since I'm approaching 30. So, I highly recommend it to you. Right now I'm using the Retin-A Micro samples from the derm, but when I get a full tube filled it will be Retin-A, since it comes in generic. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help as we have the same problem :)

Hmm, I had never heard of "milia" before -- my brief research says it is something like whiteheads, but not exactly the same thing? Are they the kind of thing that accutane helps with? When I did my first course of accutane way back when, I was mostly concerned w/ the cysts, and it totally helped with that ... I didn't even pay attention to this kind of stuff.

Also, I've never had an acne facial before, and it sounds kind of expensive, but if having one would be a big improvement I would definitely try it. I just wouldn't be able to afford to have lots of them.

I just hate how these bumps are always there and always the same no matter what I do to my skin. Ugh.

Hey damn.forehead!

Omg, you have my skin!!! I'm 27, have had acne since 13, been treated with antibiotics, topicals and finally Accutane which cleared it up for awhile. But now I am stuck with forehead bumps (exactly like yours) and very occasional mild acne in the T-zone. My husband always says, it's not acne , it just looks like rough skin. But that's cool, now I know it's milia.

Anyway, on to my advice. I REALLY didn't want to get back on Accutane, so I decided to try Retin-A and suprisingly it's working! I still have some of the little bumps, but there are areas of my forehead that are clear and smooth as a baby's bottom (like my husband's entire forehead which makes me sick!). I haven't been on it that long so hopefully it will be completely smooth after awhile.

[ I never thought I would end up having to think about acne and wrinkles at the same time! Sigh.

BTW, do any of you know if old Retin-A works? I came across a tube of it that used to be my brother's, and is probably a couple years old. I thought about trying it out...

Hey again damn.forehead,

As for using the old tube of Retin-A, I think it should be the same formula. It's been out since the 80's and I don't believe it's changed; they've just come out with variations, like Retin-A Micro. But, I would use with caution and check the expiration date on the crimp as Scooby-Doo has suggested.

Also, I understand your dilemma with cost issues, insurance, etc. So, if I was in your shoes I would definitely give the Retinols like Green Cream a shot. I've heard wonderful things about them. I think the only difference is that they take a little bit longer than retinoids cuz they have to convert into retinoids to begin working or something. I'm sure someone more experienced with them like Lion Queen can explain it better.

I was seriously looking into getting Green Cream Level 6 for myself if it ended up being more cost effective for me. But since I have insurance and I figured I could get generic Retin-A, I went that route. So, yeah, definitely try Green Cream (the best retinol, i believe) if you can't get Retin-A. They both should work wonders for the forehead bumps and your skin in general. It has COMPLETELY transformed my skin. It feels so much younger and baby soft! The forehead bumps 95% clear and my skin is very clear. Let me know how it works out for you!

-rgn

You have my forehead too! :shock:

So that's what they are then.....Well I'm finding that a thick slathering of BP is drying mine up and making it so that I can scratch them off, but I've only been laying it on that thick for a week, so I don't know if it will help totally long term.

Good luck with saying bye-bye to yours :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try to get to a dermatologist again to see if I can get some prescription stuff, but until then I'm going to try the green cream (I got samples of it, and I like it so far anyway).

In the other thread with the celebrity acne pictures, there was one of Britney Spears where she looked like she had these bumps on her forehead too. Which actually depressed me because she can go to any dermatologist or aesthetician in the world and get all the expensive products she wants, and she still can't get rid of them ...

So that's what they are then.....Well I'm finding that a thick slathering of BP is drying mine up and making it so that I can scratch them off, but I've only been laying it on that thick for a week, so I don't know if it will help totally long term.

They dry up into what feels like a scab, but it's just like dry skin so I pick it off with my nails (*ducks any rotten veggies aimed in her direction* ;) ), and yes they do stay gone. I can only assume that the 'plug' in the pore is getting dried out by the BP and is loosened enough to where it comes off. If I cut down on the BP they'd come back though I'm sure.

They dry up into what feels like a scab, but it's just like dry skin so I pick it off with my nails (*ducks any rotten veggies aimed in her direction* ;) ), and yes they do stay gone. I can only assume that the 'plug' in the pore is getting dried out by the BP and is loosened enough to where it comes off. If I cut down on the BP they'd come back though I'm sure.

i have similar skin to yours. i use an aha which clears me up to an extent, but the oil remains and as such the bumps keep coming back,so my doc has offered me accutane. you might want to consider it too

forehead.jpg

Those are not milia, they are closed comedones - whiteheads. Not to be confused with what most people call "whiteheads" but are really pustules.

There are several products which can be effective which have already been mentioned.

Mine got like that sort of when using proactiv and going out in the sun. I personally think irritation has a lot to do with it. When I just did the soak(dip) regimen for a few days or so I noticed mine going away, although some still there. I think shampoo contributes to stuff like that to if it gets on your face.

try using shampoo w/o fragrance and w/o SLS, preferrably one with zinc pyrithione (like the classic head & shoulders), on your hair. i remember mine improved with it.

You ought to consider Paula's choice 2% bha liquid/gel. My forehead looked exactly like yours a few weeks ago and I tried everything! Dermatologists, retin-a, facials, aha, scrubs, over the counter sa. You can even order samples that will last you a few weeks for about 6 bucks!

You should also read Lion Queens thread on clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps.....

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=130593

The BEST thread in the history of message boards!

My acne drama STARTED with those... Differin helped a lot with the bumps, but irritated my skin so much I had cysts. Retin A will also work...

You ought to consider Paula's choice 2% bha liquid/gel. My forehead looked exactly like yours a few weeks ago and I tried everything! Dermatologists, retin-a, facials, aha, scrubs, over the counter sa. You can even order samples that will last you a few weeks for about 6 bucks!

You should also read Lion Queens thread on clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps.....

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=130593

The BEST thread in the history of message boards!

Thanks for referring me to that thread -- it's very helpful. :) I ordered some of that 2% bha gel, which hasn't arrived yet. Maybe it will help! I'm also probably going to try green cream. If those don't help, I'll suck it up and go back to a dermatologist to give accutane or retin a another shot.

Hey! I read through the post decently well so hopefully IM not repeading. This is all my opinion. I had/have these bumps too. I didnt have quite that many but I had a patch for a while. Now I only get a few here and there. 1st off Im not sure why anyone is suggesting Accutane again for these things thats crazy I dont even think the derm would do it. I agree they are closed comedones and not that melia stuff.

I 2 am also an accutane veteran and a current regimen user. alot of regimen users get these bumps. Im not sure if it is from how the BP works and stops the acne from becoming huge zits. Could be from the drying of the BP or a buildup Im not sure. maybe its not the BP at all either way its a need for exfoliation. I DO NOT think you should use a scrub at all. You mentioned the green cream and that might work well! I myself have seemed to keep these bumps under control with 10% AHA (Alpha Hydroxy enhanced lotion)

I see you order some BHA that is Salicylic acid if you didnt know. I personally do not like BHA it has never worked well with me and just to let you know it is not recommended to be used with BP. over irritating.

There is my 2 cents.

OH! and make sure you arent using a hair spray, gel or pomade on yoru bangs or around your forehead that could be causing it. I think that may have agrivated mine when it was at its worst possibly.