Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XTheGod

Best Lasers for Hyperpigmentation and Discoloration

I *think* the Varilite Laser would be the best for this. This is from the website of a doctor I am considering going to see:

The VariLite Laser is used to rid the face and body of unsightly hyperpigmentation or sun-spots. The light is absorbed by the melanin in the skin. After your treatment the spot will darken and flake off in 1-3 weeks. Discomfort is brief and tolerable. All skin types can be treated. If your sunspots are very light in color the best choice for you may be The Obagi Nu-Derm skin care system. Complimentary consultations with one of our Registered Nurses will best enable you to determine which treatment plan is right for you.

VariLite Laser Treatment

Quick, comfortable and effective treatment of vascular, pigmented and cutaneous lesions.

How does the laser work?

A laser generates an intense beam of light that can selectively target a treatment site. The laser light is absorbed by oxyhemoglobin (bright red blood cells carrying oxygen) and melanin (black or brown pigment found in the skin) causing decomposition or destruction by heat of unwanted cells while leaving healthy cells intact.

What is a vascular lesion?

A vascular lesion is formed by abnormally large or numerous blood vessels located directly under the surface of the skin. These vessels may be visible through the skin and may result in red spots or visible blood vessels under the skin.

What is a pigmented lesion?

Melanin is the dark pigment present in skin and is produced by melanocytes. Pigmented lesions occur when an abundance of melanocytes are found in the skin. Lesions may be flat or slightly raised.

What conditions are treated with the VariLite laser?

Vascular Lesions:

Facial Telangiectasia – surface veins caused by dilation of capillary vessels or arterioles

Cherry Angiomas – slightly raised, red lesions

Spider Angiomas – slightly raised, red spider-like lesions

Scar Neovascularization – redness that may appear in or around a scar

Rosacea – red facial lesions around the nose and cheeks causing a sunburn look

Spider Veins – small, superficial purple or red veins stretching like a web under the skin, often appearing on legs

Pigmented Lesions

Lentigines – flat, brown spots on the skin: present on skin with frequent sun exposure – most common on the face, hands or other sun exposed areas

Freckles – brown spots on the skin; common on people with fair skin

Dermatosis Papulosis Nigra – small black raised lesions seen primarily on people of Asian or African descent

Cutaneous Lesions

Keratoses – slightly elevated pigmented lesions often found on the back and hands

Warts – skin-colored growths caused by a viral infection in the top layer of the skin

Skin tags – small and elevated

What should a patient expect during treatment?

Treatment may vary depending upon patient characteristics and the area being treated. An individual treatment program will be developed by our R.N.’s. Treatment sessions may take up to 1 hour. Patients are advised to remove make-up on the area to be treated and to avoid tanning prior to scheduling a treatment. You will be placed in a reclined position and asked to wear special goggles to protect your eyes from the intense beam of laser light. The R.N. will use a pen-like hand piece to direct a beam of laser light to the lesion. Some patients report feeling a slight stinging sensation during treatment. A cool air system is used to minimize discomfort.

What should a patient expect after treatment?

Some redness may occur in the treatment area immediately following treatment; however, it should subside within several hours. Some swelling may also be experienced and will go away in 1-2 days. Unlike older technologies, VariLite treatment usually does not cause any purple skin discoloration or bruised appearance to the treated skin. Pigmented lesions will darken and flake off in 1-3 weeks. Final treatment results should be evident 10-14 days after treatment for vascular lesions and within 2-3 weeks after treatment for pigmented lesions. In the meantime, normal activities can be resumed with only a slight redness evident at the treatment area. Make-up may be used to cover the treatment area.

How will I know if laser treatment is right for me?

We offer a complimentary consultation with one of our R.N.’s or you may call our office to simply obtain more information.

Oh yeah, the price quoted to me was $5,000 for a full face and supposedly someone on the board had one spot treated on the nose for $200 (I think). Expect recovery time to be pretty long 2-3 weeks because it is a deep resurfacing procedure like CO2 or dermabrasion.

no pics, but i can say that it works, albeit just a little bit every treatment. really start to see things after 3 treatments. get my 4th on the 25th

I was going to get Fotofacial done here in Tampa. Its never talked about on these boards but seems like it would be a good choice. Almost no down time.

Note: I didn't get it done because it was 200-250 per treatment and I didn't have the dough for the follow up.

been on obagi for like a year

did two blue peels

1 3 layer

1 4 layer

still have hyperpigmentation shit sucks ass

I don't get the price for all your lasers in USA! In Belgium you have the following prices

VBeam: 50 EUR per treatment

CO2 laser: 15 EUR per treatment

IPL: 45 EUR per treatment

Blue light: 6 EUR per treatment!

And they are exactly the same lasers :redface:

Can you just purchase high percentage (4%+) hydroquinone online? If so, where?