Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phooney

Stressed out over this crap

Ive been trying for over a year now to find my acne-diet relation. Ive cut out dairy....eggs....anything iodine...sugars...you name it.

Ive done trial after trial after trial...search after search....read article after article....and you know what? Im so god damn confused its stressing me out horribly and its making my life a living fucking hell.

My family wonders whats wrong with me because I wont eat most of the stuff they make....they get mad because I think I like something, like a cereal Kashi Go-Lean thinking its better for my acne than the other stuff...and I think it breaks me out so I wont eat it anymore even though they bought me 3 boxes of it.

I bought Old fashioned oats to try and eat...and you know what? My chin is breaking out still. STILL. Tried eating brown rice. Nope. Ive been eating basically nothing but chicken breasts every day. Do I workout? Yep, 4 days a week since I was 12. I drink nothing but water.

I started a new job....start at a new University....every damn day I have to worry about what I can fucking eat so I dont break out. I think Im on to something...then it gets worse. Im so god damn depressed its ridiculous. Its taking over my life....hell, I dont even have a life. I cant go out to eat with family or friends...cant go to the movies and enjoy popcorn....have a coffee with anyone.... LIFE SUCKS!!

How much of your acne treatment is holistic? Personally, I wouldn't bank everything in holistic because there are people that will swear that diary is the key, but some people don't respond to it. I don't for example. I lift weights and consume 80-100 grams of whey/casein protein a day (dairy based).

And eggs, who's telling you to cut out eggs? Eggs is extremely healthy and economical. Don't be scared by the dietary cholesterol and saturated fat, eggs have been scientifically shown to improve blood lipids and contain great protein.

What I've noticed the most is that eating clean improves skin. Processed carbohydrates spike insulin like nothing else, with the exception of processed carbohydrates with fat -- it's a deadly combo (french fries, ice cream, potato chips, cookies). I've cut that out for getting lean, and it has the nice effect of improving skin.

I cut out eggs because of the iodine content and the fact that Im allergic to them. Milk, Eggs, etc. If I have milk, I have a hard time swallowing because I begin to produce alot of mucus and it builds up in my throat.

All of my treatment is diet. I used to be on antibiotics, differin, tazorac, duac, you name it. Did nothing but burn my face up and make it red, and the antibiotics killed my intestines. I have colitis, and whether or not it was caused by antibiotics Ill never know.

Ive been eating that Kashi Go Lean and also Oldfashioned oats in the morning. Too many carbs you think, causing me to breakout?

And how I know diet is my culprit - when I go on a 3 day fast, where I basically dont eat ANYTHING, my face clears up BIG TIME. Ill get wierd rashes on my arms too, so I know diet affects my skin.

So you've taken oral antibiotics...have you done anything to balance your intestinal flora? Dairy's out, so no yogurt...probiotics?

So you've taken oral antibiotics...have you done anything to balance your intestinal flora? Dairy's out, so no yogurt...probiotics?

Hey Phooney, whats up.

Hey man.. just remember life is all about trial and error.

Really, i think trial and error applies to everything.

Gotta say that im very picky with my foods.

I try to only eat whole foods.

3 - 4 fruits a day. Mainly apples andpears ( i dont drink or eat ornage any more, found out that it broke me out...trial and error)

Less saltier foods.

No more shell fish.... bad reactions man to me atleast.

Dairy producst are kept at a minimal for me. fuwk that steroid/hormonal shit and hella sodium shit in these foods these days. fUWK.

More vegetables... Greener the better right?

Really, i foudn out alot of food gives me bad reactions. Iodine, shellfish, peanuts (butter), to include a few. fuwk all taht shit!

well man i just want to say pick ur chin up and show the earthly world that it doesnt bother you, (ur heart and mind is where all the strengths at)

Just remember that for damn sure that theres another person out there suffering far worse from whatever it may be right?

If u have any questions, im pretty sure were all here to seek and help so. Msg me if u want. w/e

oh yeah H20 is key... i despise soda and sugary juices.. fuwk all that shit... the army taught me to love water... and i love this damn shit.. its the most refreshing taste after a nice run or a nice workout or even after a juicy bite!.. gotta love this stuff... anyway..

Just remember to stay positive... if negativity is rising.. i say fuwk that thought... and think positive again!

:whistle:

I feel your pain Phooney, I have the same problem with the whole diet acne thing. It's so hard to be around people that don't have to follow a strict diet, and that don't understand why you can't eat certain foods. My family loves bread and potatoes, and they are a part of almost every meal my family makes. The research and advice that is about acne and diet is often misleading, false, confusing, too narrow, too broad, or just flat out silly. I think the basic idea is correct though, there is an acne and diet link, I have no doubt in that. Basically, I think it's good to stay away from junk food (cookies, soda, etc), and things like white bread and potatoes. Basically anything that will make your insulin levels spike. I think people react differently to dairy, some people can eat and drink more than others, but I do think that a lot of dairy, for anyone that is acne prone, would cause a breakout. I really don't know where I stand about grains, some people think they cause problems (those that follow something like the paleo diet) and some people think that you can eat them. Acne is a very complex problem, if you keep looking and trying things you will find your cure.

Sorry Phooney! :( I used to have acne on my chin as well - very frustrating. Have you tried cleansing and exercising? I know you eat well, but do you get enough leafy greens in your diet? Adding leafy greens to my already healthy diet is what cleared me up. You can click on the link in my signature below next to green smoothies if interested. I hope you find something that works for you soon - hang in there - there's got to be a solution out there for you somewhere. :)

Ive been trying for over a year now to find my acne-diet relation. Ive cut out dairy....eggs....anything iodine...sugars...you name it.

Ive done trial after trial after trial...search after search....read article after article....and you know what? Im so god damn confused its stressing me out horribly and its making my life a living fucking hell.

My family wonders whats wrong with me because I wont eat most of the stuff they make....they get mad because I think I like something, like a cereal Kashi Go-Lean thinking its better for my acne than the other stuff...and I think it breaks me out so I wont eat it anymore even though they bought me 3 boxes of it.

I bought Old fashioned oats to try and eat...and you know what? My chin is breaking out still. STILL. Tried eating brown rice. Nope. Ive been eating basically nothing but chicken breasts every day. Do I workout? Yep, 4 days a week since I was 12. I drink nothing but water.

I started a new job....start at a new University....every damn day I have to worry about what I can fucking eat so I dont break out. I think Im on to something...then it gets worse. Im so god damn depressed its ridiculous. Its taking over my life....hell, I dont even have a life. I cant go out to eat with family or friends...cant go to the movies and enjoy popcorn....have a coffee with anyone.... LIFE SUCKS!!

Do your rashes look like this? http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_dise...is_herpeti.html

You may have celiac disease, which can cause digestion problems, acne and that rash.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Phooney, have ever cut out gluten entirely? That would include wheat, oats, kamut, buckwheat, barley.

Otherwise, are you using any topicals? I realize this is the diet forum and most people here are looking for a more holistic approach to acne, but you seem pretty down and desperate, have you considered Dan's regimen? http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

The last thing any of us needs to do is to let these diets take over and control our life any more than acne already has.

I echo everyone's comments about knowing how difficult it is. I, too, have been experimenting with diet approaches for the past 14 months or so. I just want to let you know I'm in a similar position... my diet now consists nearly exclusively of vegetables, nuts, and seeds. I drink water, teas for antioxidants and cleansing, homemade or organice vegetable juices. I was doing a fast over the holidays, but even if I weren't the only thing I would've been able to eat would've been the salads... even vegetable dishes have cheese, butter, bread crumbs, etc! I have no doubt that you've done your share of research, I just wanna throw out some ideas I've read about and trying:

-anti-candida diet (I do think that the cereal and oatmeal could be aggravating your acne)

-increased Essential Fatty Acids

-cleansing teas

-antioxidant teas

-the only topicals I'm doing now are rinsing with water, moisturizing with jojoba oil+tea tree oil+lavender oil, spot treating with tea tree oil... this was a really scary step for me but it's going great!!!

I know exactly what you mean about the social isolation it produces. I've been dealing with that by making sure that I'm not too hungry when I go out to eat so I can just eat a salad, and by ordering herbal tea when I'm out for coffee. Hang in there! I know what it's like to be depressed, despondent, frustrated over this... I was in that place just a week ago, literally crying on a plane flight as I was writing in my journal about how sad I was. Let's believe together that it's going to get better!

You said you cut out sugars. Have you tried cutting out all grains? That is the only thing that helps me. If I had oats, cereal and brown rice, my face would be breaking out like crazy too. I do a semi-paleo now and am very happy with it. I was on Atkins and that totally cleared my skin as well.

I'm saying this because you did ask if it was too many carbs. Maybe you can't handle too many carbs, or maybe it is the grains. Worth looking into since you seem unsure.

If you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot. There's still a lot of other things you can eat if this is the case. Feel better! If you're only eating chicken breast...well, I would be miserable too. Get some variety in there and you'll feel less deprived.

I was really freaked out by all the different confusing stuff too...

Now Im semi-following Leo Kiesen's ebook "Your last acne solution".

He isnt a doctor or anything, just an acne sufferer who spent a lot of time

and research on different things and found what works for him. I dont

exactly follow everything he says because everyone is different, but I

have been doing a lot of things he recommends and I dont just think its

good for acne, but for improving the overall health, the stuff thats all

out of balance in our bodies thats causing us to get acne in the first place.

I follow his supplement regimen (pretty simple really, he has a big focus

on getting essential fatty acids, he recommends coconut oil, green smoothies,

protiotics, vitamins, etc). He also recommends periodic cleanses and liver

flushes..I dunno, its all info that we already have here, but Im the type

of person that needs someone to put it all together for me in a program

I can follow, cuz (like you) I was SO overwhelmed and SO confused.

I dunno, its worth a try.

PM me for info on that program if you are interested. (dont think Im trying

to advertise for it or anything, I dont work for him LMAO)

Phooney, If you are going to go to the expense of getting allergy testing done, don't just go to a regular allergist, try to find an environmental allergist too. That way you can get tested for things that cause the usual allergy symptoms, such as rash, hives, breathing difficulties, but an environmental allergist will also test for the responses that are more subtle and often dismissed by traditional allergists.