Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LuLu2007

Dan's BP Gel vs. Proactiv 2.5% BP Repairing Lotion

Hi all!!

As far as BP goes, I love Proactiv's "step 3", the 2.5% BP Reparing Lotion. I do not use any of the other steps - too harsh!!

Right now I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF15, which I love as well.

Well my Proactiv lotion expired and I am NOT buying an entire kit for $39.95 just to get 2 oz of BP! Plus, they send you new kits all the time and randomly charge your credit card.

I want to order Dan's BP gel, but I am concerned about switching products. Will I break out?? Dry out?? Are the two products very different??

Can anyone give me some advice or has anyone done this??

Please advise, I need to order something quickly!!

(Also, how bad is using my expired Proactiv for the next few days?)

THANKS!!

The problem with products that expire isn't usually that they'll make your break out, but that their active ingredients are no longer effective, so an expired 2.5% BP product might only have the acne preventing power of, say, a 1% BP product.

Dan's gel is a bit more drying than the Proactiv lotion since the Proactiv lotion has urea and some other moisturizers in its base, but not significantly so. Dan's is more of a clearish gel, so it is a different consistency than the Proactiv lotion, but I think it goes on better and is easier to apply large amounts of because it's a bit goopier. You will probably find yourself needing to use more moisturizer. Some people break out when they change products, some people don't, and so while you might, it's nothing to worry about because you can't predict it and may as well just give Dan's BP a shot since it's such a better deal.

how convenient...i registered an account to ask the same question.

lulu, we use the exact same regimen (cleanser, bp, and moisturizer). please update on how it goes if you make the switch. thanks!

I made the switch several months ago. I like Dan's better instantly- I hadn't realized it, but the Proactiv was making me even whiter than I already am. Dan's goes on smoother and rubs in more easily because it's absorbed a lot quicker, and it doesn't have that smell. I'm so glad I switched. :D

I actually decided to stop the BP all together. I got a prescription for FINACEA which is much less drying.

Finacea is an anti-inflammatory/anti-bacterial gel designed to treat Rosacea, but it is also prescribed for mild acne.

There is not supposed to be an initial breakout (it is not a retinoid). SO FAR it is working magic. I would highly recommend this gel!!

i'm actually dying to know this as well. Anyone else know more? i already ordered the DK cleanser and gel and i'm currently using Cetaphil Moisturizer SPF 15 but i'd to know and atleast prepare mentally if i have to go thru another breakout because of a switch of products.

Thanks

If you like the 2.5% BP repairing lotion from Proactiv so much, then you should look on ebay and I believe you might be able to find people on there who sell that product just by itself.

I switched from Proactiv to DKR's, and the only thing I don't like about the DKR is that it makes my face look really really red.

I used proactiv for over a year and switched to dan's bp & cleanser a couple months ago and I LOVE it in comparison. It's cheaper, easier to purchase and I feel it works better - plus it doesnt stink to high heaven :sick: proactiv's bp is ok in a thin layer like "they" suggest, but the BP in large quantities that I have found have more positive results only make me nauseas (sp?) when excessively using the proactiv.

As for an IB, there were no side effects what so ever from switching, besides saving some $ :dance:

I've found Dan's gel to be the best of any BP products available (I've used clearsil, on the spot, proactiv, prescription, etc). It's really good for not clumping (makes makeup application much easier!).

Im pretty sure u can get a bottle of Proactiv's bp by itself without the whole kit thing, just my 0.02 :)

If you're part of the "Clear Skin Club," you can purchase a repairing lotion for $16.95. But I've decided to switch to Dan's, so I'll keep you guys posted and see what the switch is like for me. I didn't really enjoy the repairing lotion that was offered by ProActiv -- it seemed to make my face oily.

Proactiv Repairing Lotion : 2oz for like over $15

Dan's 2.5% BP Gel : $7.99

which will you choose...?

I'll chime in: Dan's is cheaper & with no fragrance (so it is tolerable in large amounts & some people find their skin sensitive to fragrance).

It absorbs well, no clumping or flaking off. It has virtually no odor. It may be more drying, but as a part of DKR you use a whole lot more, so that could be why too. When I did Pro-activ's 3 step, my skin was much more dry since there was no moisturizer involved.

Wen i swittched i broke out but i was breaking out kinda whilse using proactiv as well...i suggest u switch..i found Dan's better....itz a good price too...juz make sure u moisturize always

also the fragrance in the Proactiv is pretty bad yuck! :P

they claim it to have far less than 1% of fragrance or someting but smells like a bottle of perfume

I just did the same thing

Switched from proactiv. ordered Dan's BP online but as for right now I have to use the proactiv BP.

So I am using cetaphil cleanser and mositure and the proactiv BP.

Hopefully we all dont break out and see good results!!

Good luck !

as for day 1 - my face feels a hell of a lot better. proactiv was so drying. I looked in the miror and my face was so flaky ! So I used the cetaphil cleanser and moisture last night and the flakiness is pretty much gone. But I think I feel something forming on my chin... eeek! But that is to be expected I guess at first.

I was using Proactiv BP also but just ordered Dan's BP tonight. I love the Proactiv BP but even on Ebay it runs 13.99 for 2oz and you still have to pay shipping. I got a really good deal on it about a month ago. A seller didnt know what she had obviously and had it posted for 3.99 and I snagged up 2 bottles. Today I couldnt find anyone stupid enough to sell it for that cheap and decided to try Dan's BP. I am worried about switching from a lotion to a gel but for 8.99 for 4oz, I'll give it a try. The frickin drugstore wanted almost that much for a 1.5 oz tube. Maybe I'll like it even better. I just hope it gets here before I run out of the Proactiv completely. Lorrie

I just got Dan's BP today. First of all, the smell beats proactiv. the consistency in my opinion was similar. maybe better. i wouldnt know lol. but the smell. Dan's BP FTW

How long did it take you to get your BP from Dan? Where do you live? My Proactiv BP is dwindling fast. :(