Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrjason

CSR Cleanser + BP Gel + Jojoba + AHA = Dry & Flake?

First off let me say that I'm loving the regimen. I've been on it for around 3 months (though i did veer off course a bit, adding SA and other things in early on). I'm now on a very strict and clear regimen that's working well at keeping me clear:

1) Cleanse gently with CSR Cleanser in shower

2) Pat dry, apply Jojoba oil to face (a few drops)

3) Wait to dry, apply CSR BP (1 finger)

4) Wait to dry, apply moisturizer (greasy Cetaphil at night, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin AHA during day)

The above twice a day, once per shower.

So... down to about 1 new pimple a week, getting better all the time, life's good right? Unfortunately, nothing I've done has helped shake the flakes! Like, a rediculous amount of flaking. I look like I just ravaged a coconut... My "trouble spots" seem to be the sides of my head (temple area) and cheeks. They are very sensitive, itchy and always seem to need more moisturizer - dry city! Before the regimen, I had VERY oily skin... so, I just don't get what's doing it!

Although I read the Cleanser is pH balanced, I'm starting to wonder if it's not drying me out. A few things I've tried:

1) Reducing amount of BP - didn't help dryness (even if cut in half)

2) Adding more Jojoba (like, 10-15 drops) - didn't help dryness

3) Trying only Cetaphil or only Neutrogena Sensitive+AHA moisturizers - helps dryness temporarily, but always seem to need/want more. Didn't help flakes

Has anyone else had similar experience? Any advice out there?

Since it sounds like you have skin that's really prone to dryness, you might even switch from Dan's cleanser to Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. The Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser is good if you have really sensitive skin and don't need to wash off a lot of makeup or anything, since it doesn't lather, it's just a liquid that you wash off with water (or the directions say you can even just wipe it off without using water, but I think it might leave a bit of residue behind). Perhaps you are washing for too long now, with too hot of water, or too aggressively? Maybe cooling down the temperature of the shower and washing for a shorter amount of time would dry your skin out less.

What I've done for flakiness recently is to spot-moisturize with Complex 15 Theraputic Face Cream and then apply my normal moisturizers on top of that. Wow, it has worked so much better than I would have expected, too, and held up to cold Minnesota winds. This way you don't use up the Complex 15 too quickly and you can still use AHAs, SPF, and not throw away your old moisturizers.

CAKD has some good advice above ^.

The only thing I would add is you might try adding the jojoba oil to your moisturizer, rather than put it directly onto your face before the bp. This is Dan's preferred method and might help better with flaking.

Thanks guys, err.... girls! I did try mixing Jojoba with the moisturizer at first (when I first got the Jojoba), but found it worked much better applying separately after cleansing. It sounds like the CSR cleanser may be a bit too drying for my skin. Looks like I'll be toying around with other cleansers to get the right fit for my skin type.

Reading on cleansers across these boards, I had previously gone out and gotten a few different ones. I have Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser and Dove Sensitive Skin (bar and gel). I suppose I'll give each a shot and see what sticks.

Complex 15 sounds like a good solution should I not be able to solve this one with the cleanser only.

Thanks again for your help!