Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mousey mouse

bare minerals

okay, i've noticed that a lot of people tend bash bare minerals and show a preference for other mineral make ups.

i've been using BM for a while and i've never noticed a problem with it. it doesnt give me perfect coverage but it makes me feel pretty comfortable and its never given me problems. so i didn't think twice about it.

nowwwwww..... seeing how many people seem to dislike BM, and since i've never tried any other MMU at all, i'm beginning to wonder if the reason i'm satisfied with BM is just because i haven't tried anything better.

so. my question(s) for all of you is/are:

if you've tried BM and didn't like it, what was it that you didn't like? what MMU do you prefer and how does it compare? and of course what kind of skin type do you have, because i guess these make ups all work differently for our different types..?

so yeah. thats it. just trying to see if its worth it for me to try anything other stuff thats out there before i restock on BM.

BM messes up a lot of people's skin. bismuth can make some people itch and break out w/ painful acne. it did that to me. it's also shiny and made my eyes look all wrinkly (i'm not that old!) and my pores stood out like craters on my face! :( So I tried other companies that are cheaper and their makeup doesn't bother my skin at all.

My current fave is Ocean Mist Cosmetics which i say all the time anyway :D My pores don't look bad, I don't break out, it lasts all day, and I just love love love it

I tried Bare Minerals...I didn't care for it. I tend to get very shiny/oily during the day, and this stuff had a shimmer to it. So by mid day, I looked like I had rubbed metallic eyeshadow all over my face. This stuff is supposed to be great for oily skin, and I don't know why...it only added to the shine. Plus, I didn't think it was very good at covering up gigantic pimples. I tried rubbing a little on my wrist and looking at it in daylight...the stuff really does have a shine to it!

Here is a link to a book that rates all brands of makeup...I have it and would suggest it to anyone.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/books.asp?CODE=DG6

Here is what she has to say on her website about bare minerals..the book goes into more details than the site:

bare escentuals makeup

If you find this line's loose powder mineral makeup concept and the added shine intriguing, these products are an option, but I feel safe in suggesting they will end up as one of those cosmetics whims that you never use more than a few times.

Bisque multi-tasking makeup ($18.00) has a description that makes it sound like the Wonder Woman of makeup, seemingly able to tackle any cosmetic whim or need with one sweep of a brush. This is merely a pale, slightly shiny pigmented powder whose formula is nearly identical to their bareMinerals foundation. It works as a highlighter or eyeshadow base, but so does a good matte finish concealer - and with a lot less mess and more precision, too!

But if you like what you use, and it's not irritating your skin, I say stick with it....

I'm liking Aubrey Nicole right now, but still trying to find my perfect color match. It's also a pain that their samples are not free, I like to be cheap. Everyday Minerals has the best color selection, IMO and Ocean Mist stays pretty well, but I haven't found my shade there and the talc puts me off a bit (even though I know people don't break out from it, and I haven't while wearing the samples...I really like their Silken Perfection Powder too). Joppa...horrible customer service and I had difficulty finding my shade (still don't know it). Aubrey Nicole has good lasting power and good coverage, I was having problems with it until I realized I wasn't using enough.

I used bare minerals two summers ago. My skin has never ever ever been worse! It completely ruined my skin and I'm still trying to clear it up. I had to go on oral antiobiotics to clear it up because it would not go away. It made both sides of my face completely breakout. For days new pimples kept appearing. Not little white heads but big ones that were constantly red and painful. I couldn't go out in public it was so humiliating. It was horrible. I still have all of the products, I won't ever try it again...they're all brand new bottles of powder, kabuki brushes...everything. I'm too afraid to use it again. And another thing, when I did use it, it barely covered anything. My face was extremely shiny and yellow/orangey looking. It also made my dry skin worse and was just complete crap. I'll never buy anything from them ever again.

I'm sad... I totally just ordered their starter kit... but hey.. ya gotta start somewhere with this whole MMU experience right? I hope it doesn't mess up my skin now. Yikes.

personally, i LOVE bare minerals. at first, the bismuth (at least, i think it's the bismuth) caused some stinging, but it went away, and now i don't have any problems with stinging.

my skin has never looked better, and i like the fact that there is not too much coverage. :) it's enough to make my skin look so much better, but not enough to be a mask. i finally found a foundation that works for me! :)

that said, i just ordered some samples from ocean mist and aubrey nicole, after learning about them on this site. i figured, they'd be cheap to try and they are significantly cheaper. so if i like them, that will be an improvement. :)

rachel.

personally, i LOVE bare minerals. at first, the bismuth (at least, i think it's the bismuth) caused some stinging, but it went away, and now i don't have any problems with stinging.

my skin has never looked better, and i like the fact that there is not too much coverage. it's enough to make my skin look so much better, but not enough to be a mask. i finally found a foundation that works for me!

that said, i just ordered some samples from ocean mist and aubrey nicole, after learning about them on this site. i figured, they'd be cheap to try and they are significantly cheaper. so if i like them, that will be an improvement.

rachel.

i think some people can use BE just fine. I'm just glad we can find ones that have lower costs than BE! I hate paying that much for makeup. I wonder sometimes about people who pay hundred of dollars for some face cream or something. especially once i see what the ingredients are in it.