Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ItsNotEasy

I had to fight to get accutane.

Hey everyone,

I am a 21 year old male and I have had acne for 3 years. Luckily, I did not suffer through highschool, but the past 3 years have taken a toll on me.

I first started getting pimples when I became good friends with a dude that had pretty severe acne. I guess I started becoming more aware of my skin and started being very concious about it. The more I concentrated on my skin and what little acne I had at the time, the worse it got. The Proactiv commercials were always on T.V. at the time. I ordered it and believed the hype that it would cure me for sure. Well, it didn't. It got worse.

After this point I went to see my doctor and he prescribed a topical anti-bacterial cream to put on my face before bed. I used this for about 2 months...but again my acne kept getting worse.

I went back to the Dr. and wanted to do something else. So he prescribed me minocycline to take twice a day. By the way at this point I have tried countless different face products (cleansers, toners, and moisturizers). Anyways the minocycline actually seemed to help a little bit. I didn't break out as often, but I still broke out in cycles. I was pretty pleased with the minocycline. I was only prescribed the drug for 3 months, and my doctor didn't want to prescribe it again because it isn't healthy to be on antibiotics all the time. So I stopped using it and my acne became pretty bad again.

After a few months I went to a different doctor and asked her to go on the minocycline again. She gave me a 3 month prescription for it, and I am now 2 months through. I was pretty happy to go back on it again as I had decent results before. But...this time it's not working too great for me. I'm breaking out as usual especially in the cheeks. I went back to the doctor and she referred me to a dermatologist.

I had heard about accutane from quite a few people. My esthetician who gives me facials said I should try and get on it because she has seen me suffer for most of my acne problem.

So I went to see the dermatologist 2 days ago. And I pretty much out-right asked to have Accutane. He started asking me a lot of questions about how I feel about my acne. I told him I have a lot of social anxiety because of it and it has taken a toll on me emotionally. After I told him that, he said he can't prescribe me Accutane because he thinks I am depressed. Unhappy, I left his office and went straight to my doctor and told her what had happened. I know that I am not depressed; I am sick of having acne. So she said she would prescribe me accutane.

I went for my blood test today. I am very hopeful that I am a candidate for accutane. I have read, on this site and others, about the side effects and hazards. At this point, I am willing to go through what it takes to have clear skin and gain my confidence back.

Has anyone else had trouble getting on accutane if they felt they wanted to use it? Would you say that I'm a good candidate given the side effects?

Hey everyone,

I am a 21 year old male and I have had acne for 3 years. Luckily, I did not suffer through highschool, but the past 3 years have taken a toll on me.

I first started getting pimples when I became good friends with a dude that had pretty severe acne. I guess I started becoming more aware of my skin and started being very concious about it. The more I concentrated on my skin and what little acne I had at the time, the worse it got. The Proactiv commercials were always on T.V. at the time. I ordered it and believed the hype that it would cure me for sure. Well, it didn't. It got worse.

After this point I went to see my doctor and he prescribed a topical anti-bacterial cream to put on my face before bed. I used this for about 2 months...but again my acne kept getting worse.

I went back to the Dr. and wanted to do something else. So he prescribed me minocycline to take twice a day. By the way at this point I have tried countless different face products (cleansers, toners, and moisturizers). Anyways the minocycline actually seemed to help a little bit. I didn't break out as often, but I still broke out in cycles. I was pretty pleased with the minocycline. I was only prescribed the drug for 3 months, and my doctor didn't want to prescribe it again because it isn't healthy to be on antibiotics all the time. So I stopped using it and my acne became pretty bad again.

After a few months I went to a different doctor and asked her to go on the minocycline again. She gave me a 3 month prescription for it, and I am now 2 months through. I was pretty happy to go back on it again as I had decent results before. But...this time it's not working too great for me. I'm breaking out as usual especially in the cheeks. I went back to the doctor and she referred me to a dermatologist.

I had heard about accutane from quite a few people. My esthetician who gives me facials said I should try and get on it because she has seen me suffer for most of my acne problem.

So I went to see the dermatologist 2 days ago. And I pretty much out-right asked to have Accutane. He started asking me a lot of questions about how I feel about my acne. I told him I have a lot of social anxiety because of it and it has taken a toll on me emotionally. After I told him that, he said he can't prescribe me Accutane because he thinks I am depressed. Unhappy, I left his office and went straight to my doctor and told her what had happened. I know that I am not depressed; I am sick of having acne. So she said she would prescribe me accutane.

I went for my blood test today. I am very hopeful that I am a candidate for accutane. I have read, on this site and others, about the side effects and hazards. At this point, I am willing to go through what it takes to have clear skin and gain my confidence back.

Has anyone else had trouble getting on accutane if they felt they wanted to use it? Would you say that I'm a good candidate given the side effects?

yeah, that was pretty much my experience. I had three or four pimples and told him I'd like accutane, and he gave me the blood work form and put me on 80mg/day the next week. I've never spent more than two minutes with him on a visit.

I never had any trouble getting Accutane.

Some dermatologists are skeptical when it comes to Accutane because of what happened to that Senator's son years ago. Many things have changed since then, and it is very rare to find someone who is experiencing suicidal thoughts while on Accutane. You may have a low mood, not always, but that doesn't easily equate it to suicide.

I'm glad I had a caring, understanding and determined dermatologist. Not everyone is so fortunate, but if the dermatologist truly cares about the person, they do everything in their power to better their life.

For me all I did was ask my GP if I can go on accutane and he said yes, I took the blood test right in his lab, signed the papers and that was it. All he said was to tell him if I get depressed, and he would refer me to get anti-depressants, never said he would pull the drug if I did, and then he gave me the book. I knew that there was pretty much nothing he could tell me about the drug that I didnt already know by researching it so much. Some doctors are easy to write a rx for it, some are hard.

Thanks guy...

Sounds like you all had a pretty easy time getting it which is great. I think everyone should be allowed to get effective treatment for acne if it looks like nothing else works.

I am really worried that I won't be able to get it from my blood work. If I don't get on accutane, I don't know what I'll do... I'm a pretty healthy guy, I workout 3-4 times a week, very little body fat if any, and no other health problems.

Do y ou guys know people who haven't been able to go on accutane beacuse of the blood test? Why and what did they do next?

Hey everyone,

hahaha my derm was awesome. our conversation was pretty much.

derm: hey how are you doing?

me: good

derm: your skins looking really good

me: yeah... but im not really satisfied i still break out frequently, can i go on accutane?

derm: sure. wait for my assistant to come in and draw some blood and fill out the paper work.

me: ok thanks

derm: bye

(our conversations lasted about a minute) no wonder this derm makes bank.

My own GP messed me around for years and at the end of it I still didn't have Accutane. I went to a different doc (when I moved countries(!)) and the conversation pretty much went:

Me walking into the room

Doc: "You need accutane".

Moral of the story - change doctors if necessary.

Not sure. I went to the derm last week and he woudn't prescribe me accutane, so I went back to the clinic I go to often and explained what the derm said and he gave me the bloodwork sheet for pre-accutane. He said come back this Thursday because he'll be working and he will have the results. So...it sounds to me like he can?