Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayC

My finished Accutane Journal....pics added.

It is me again...I started reading your journal from the very beginning...and as I am reading the different message posting, I have questions......My derm didn't tell me to expect breaking out even more once I am on the accutane. As previously mentioned, I am on day 6. I read the literature, but didn't really see that note anywhere...And, I am on 40 mg in the am and 40 mg in the pm. Does that seem high to you? I am like 140 lbs. Thanks, kat

i cant tell you how long accutane will take to kick in. For me it took almost 2 months to fully clear all my zits and cysts. Everyone is different.

Stopping Accutane is very stupid. Accutane shrinks your liver glands and stopping in the middle of treatment can cause more problems then good. I found the regimin to be a never ending thing, and accutane was a few months thing. Therefore i chose accutane to end acne once and 4 all.

Joint pains are minor, they wont last for long.

Thanks Jay. No, I am not going to stop it...I need to stop reading that f'n leaftlet my derm gave me which lists all the bad shit that can happen. Hey, you said that when you got the white heads, they sloughed off in the shower...when the came off like that (vs. popping them yourself) did they leave a mark? Kat

every zit i have gotten after while on accutane has dissapered in 2 weeks or less. Its the ones before accutane that take a long time to fade.

Hey guys,

I just started taking Accutane. Next Monday, Feb. 2, will be the start of my 2nd week. Here's a quick summary:

Sex: Male

Weight: 165-170 lbs

Skin before accutane: somewhat oily

Acne history: mild facial acne through teenage years... moderate facial acne breakouts from time to time in the last 5 years. Tried everything like many of you, and figured I would "outgrow" the disease, but it hasn't gone away, which led me to the dermatologist. I regret being too patient in this regard.

Current dosage: 80mg daily (I take both pills at breakfast). Seems like I'm not being broken in gradually.

1st week observations: Couple bumps developed on the sides of my nose and at the bottom of my forehead. Not sure if these bumps are going to turn into red cystic monsters - I just hope they keep their cool and fade away in time. The forehead has usually had no major issues, so that's new for me.

Side effects so far: almost immediately very dry lips (Aquaphor), very dry nasal passages (saline nasal spray), and I'm using Cetaphil facial soap and moisturizer.

It should be noted that prior to treatment, I have a severe hearing loss plus ringing in my left ear. Again, I had this BEFORE going on Accutane (since I was 2 yrs old). I was freaked since one of the potential side effects is hearing impairment and/or ringing - possibly permanent - and losing any more hearing could devastate my way of life. However, I figure that it's a very slim percentage, and my doctor said it shouldn't be an issue. The way I have to look at it, just about all bad shit in life has a slim chance of occurring.

One other thing I should mention is that I usually cover my blemishes with Cover Girl Fresh Look makeup. It is an oil-free, non-acnegenic compound that my dermy said should be ok. Aside from the disfiguration, having to spend 15 minutes every morning to carefully apply this makeup has been the most frustrating thing. How many of you use makeup? It helps me to look presentable for the most part, but I wonder if somehow it has exacerbated things despite it's non-acnegenic claim.

Outlook: I hope things are looking up by the time my brother graduates May 15, which is around Month 4 1/2. My dermy says 1/3 of patients are cured completely after 1 go-around with Accutane... another 1/3 need a second treatment.... and a final 1/3 need more time. I have to believe that since my acne was "only" moderate, and that I'm past the hormone crazy teenage years, that I'll be sitting in the clear in a few months. Unfortunately, my acne has been so persistent all these years, seeing will be believing at this point. Like the rest of you, I want my life back -- the urgency is greater the older u get.

Anyhow, your feedback is greatly appreciated. And lastly, are there any other websites/forums u guys recommend for a greater audience?

i have found that the people on this message board are alot more mature and full of information. You can try www.healthboards.com. But im sure you will like this one best.

One other thing I should mention is that I usually cover my blemishes with Cover Girl Fresh Look makeup.  It is an oil-free, non-acnegenic compound that my dermy said should be ok.  Aside from the disfiguration, having to spend 15 minutes every morning to carefully apply this makeup has been the most frustrating thing.  How many of you use makeup? 

skunk X-yeah, having to wear makeup everyday is a pain in the ass.

roll on the day when i feel comfortable without it.

thanx to the regime i will now answer the door without it...(getting there)

Anyhow, your feedback is greatly appreciated.  And lastly, are there any other websites/forums u guys recommend for a greater audience?

S'up, just thought i'd drop a line and give you all the low down on whats happenin' with me. I'm on my 6th week of accutane, and even though i have less spots on my face and neck, i still dont feel any better for it, my face is covered is red marks, and dipped lines, and indentations, and i'm just so scared incase i'm gonna be left with loads of acne scars. do you think i will be?

i'm currently on 25mg of accutane a day, and ive got hospital tomorrow to get my bloods taken, which i'm dreading cos that means i need to leave the house, and the thought of that really scares the shit out of me! i've also got to see my shrink tomorrow, whom i hate with a passion, as he just has no clue of the shit that i'm going through!

you see i'm 19 now, but when i was 17 thats when my skin started to flare up and i got really paranoid about it, and i picked at it and made it a lot worse, it sounds mad but, that really messed my head up, and i didnt want to leave the house, i lost all contact with my friends and everyone around me, and i thought the only way out of it was to die, so i overdosed on amitryptaline my mum found me the following morning and i was taken to hosp and was in intensive care for a week.

Anyway..... after that i was put on antibiotics for my skin and it cleared up really well, and about 6mths later i got together with my boyfriend who was really great and he helped me a lot, but just last September my skin flared up really bad and up untill 5weeks ago my skin was still breaking out really bad, i just seem to be stuck in a, i've had to finnish with my boyfriend cos i couldnt bare him seeing me looking like this, its as though my life is on hold! i just really dont want to be here anymore, i'm tired of being sad and crying all the time, i'm not a very strong person, i just want it all to end.

hi shady.

im struggling with the same shit, redmarks, and those lines that are a couple milimeters within in ur skin. I had to call it quits with my girl too, cause i couldnt bare to see her me like this. I havent seen her or any of my friends in almost 6 months. I get calls from them everday, but i never pick up. Alot of them think i moved away, some of them even come to the door to see me, but i tell my parents to make up some excuss. I wish i could just move away somewhere, where no one would bother me and i would be alone because even though all my acne is gone, the redmarks dont comfort me either - its the same shit.

I pray to god constantly that my face will be clear or somewhat alright by summer, so i can catch up with my friends. That is if they wanna still be my friends for sort of ditching them this whole time.

Its crazy how you od'd. I always think about eating like 50 accutane tablets at one time, too make this shit go away faster. But im too scared, and i wouldnt wanna leave my family in pain. I've said it once before, but when my treatment is over, im gonna go so a shrink too. Because i believe i am internally fucked up.

hey i just read this whole thred...

have a few q's maybe you guyscan help with

im going backto my derm tuesday

after trying pretty much everything

im considering accutane...in fact, my derm had

alrdy recommended it for me back in july

but my parents didnt want me to go on it (long story)

anyways, i noticed some of you had chest and back

breakouts....did accutane clear this up? this is where mines the worst

tho i do have facial too...

also, i have some scars...a couple big ones that prolly cant be fixed, but

some shallow ones that i think could be

so do ya know if its ok to treat scars (maybe by using peels?)

during or after an accutane course? or maybe i should try to fix

them before going on accutane?

thanks for this thred, its a great help O:)

S'up MTseal, no you most definately CANT have any form of chemical peel, blue peel etc, whilst on accutane your skin heals at a much slower pace, you are not allowed to have any sort of surgical procedure done on you untill 12 mths of finnishing treatment. ......ahhh the joys eh!

UPDATE WEEK 11

This week i started 80mg of accutane. I did break out but not too bad. About 5 zits in total. Either way im still very pissed off, because i had a long period without zits. I have a feeling more will come and go until mid Febuary.

Before i even had acne problems i used to use a Tea Tree Oil Facial Wash Gel made by Frozen Forest. I used it because i had an uneven skin complexion, and it helped balance out the tone. I've decided to begin to use this stuff again to see if it works againt red marks. It actually works. I noticed my marks to be so much more faded this morning - its wicked. I wish i never stopped using it in the first place.

SIDE EFFECTS

I'm having nose bleeds like a MOFO. I have a cold too, so im constantly blowing my nose - which isnt helping the situation. I've noticed my eyes gettin even dryer too since the increased dosage. I like cant keep my eyes open in the shower.

MY NEW REGIMINE

wash face with soap/warm water

tea tree oil facial wash

aloe vera lotion

just thought id let u guys know

i got my accutane script today biggrin.gif/

my derm told me straight up that accutane is the

onlything thatwill work for me 8-[

will start soon....starting at a lowdose like jayc,

i'll be on 20mg until my next derm visit at least

hope yalldoing well

just thought id let u guys know

i got my accutane script today biggrin.gif/

my derm told me straight up that accutane is the

onlything thatwill work for me 8-[

will start soon....starting at a lowdose like jayc,

i'll be on 20mg until my next derm visit at least

hope yalldoing well

Regarding the red marks, I am far more concerned with possible scarring. If Accutane leaves u acne free, that is all u can ask for, right? The red marks are ugly reminders of the past, but they are NOT permanent!

At least in my case, they can usually be masked pretty effectively with the proper makeup. The most time-consuming part of applying makeup every morning is dealing with the topographical variations caused by acne.

Anyway, I'm into my 2nd week.... not much new to report. Dry lips and nose persist. I had what was probably an initial breakout in week 1 - but it was relatively tame compared to what others have experienced. I am in Florida for the week, and I was out in the evening sun for only 10 minutes but afterwards my face was uncharactertistically red (not burned though).

My dermatologist said not to expect progress until 4-6 weeks. Is this generally the timetable? I just want to keep my expectations as realistic as possible.

Lastly, does prolonged exposure to the sun help or hurt acne???? I've heard conflicting opinions on this, but are there any definitive medical stances on the topic?

LOL CRM6360, 4 double posts... biggrin.gif

Its probably due to an error message a lot of people are getting.

Says SQL ERROR or something to that effect.

---------------------------

Anyone else here other Jayc use the Tea Tree oil facial wash and ahd positive experiences?

JayC, what colour skin do you have?

Any irritation and or burning/itching/reddness from the facial wash?

When you said it evened out your skin tone; do you mean it lightened or reduced skin discolourations/hyper-pigmentations?

I got dark brown and light brown skin. The dark areas are from hyper-pigmentation and Acne scars/marks.

I am wondering if this product will help reduce the dark areas. I don't want it to darken the light areas so it matches the dark areas because the light brown areas is he only little bit of my original complexion left

JEEZE way to post like crazy.... ill get an admin to clear that up, or u can always delete them.

I have brown skin. No itchyness or anything - aloe vera lotion prevents that kinda stuff. My skin was discoloured because of previous little zits. It helped to remove the marks alot quicker.

WEEK 12

this week hasnt been too bad. Almost all of the zits i got last week have now fully healed. I have noticed my face to be alot redder since the dosage increase. I guess im just gonna have try to ignore it until accutane is done. This week my nose was gettin really dry, i was constantly putting on Vaseline and that helped alot. My redmarks are indeed fading alot since i started my tea tree oil regimine - so im gonna continue to use this product.

I wish some days that time would go by alot faster, so my accutane treatment would finally finish. And other days i wish it would go alot slower - this is when i hardly notice changes.

I have stopped shaving because i wanna allow my face to heal. I find the Mach 3 razor gets so close to your skin, that it can actually do more damage than good. And this will allow less irration on active redmarks.

what do you think about taking a week off before i start my second month of pills.. ?

i've completed my first monts set.

will that do anyting, right now my face is completely clear and all !!

xcept fo r on or two active pimples...

happy dont even think about doing that.

My reasons:

1st - it will do completly nothing

2nd - staying off accutane for a week will give u a breakout when you continue it again.

You dont stop just because your clear.