Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayC

My finished Accutane Journal....pics added.

Hey guys and gals,

Well finally today I had my appointment with my Derm. And man… was she nice! I was so happy to see her because I have been waiting for a Derm for about 2 months now, and she was the best one in our area. However, over those 2 months, my acne really flared up. I have like this huge bubble on one of my cheeks which I’m praying to get ride of. I mostly only have acne on my cheeks, but they are like the big red ones. The first thing my Derm said to me was, “Please tell me you have a drug plan!?� Fortunately I do. She then recommended I take Accutane. I had already read up on all the side effects, and frankly none of it really bothered me. The thing I have realized with acne, is once its there. Its there to stay for a while. I tried so many off the shelf products, and really it didn’t do much.

I tried Benzyl Peroxide with Dan’s Regimen, but nope..that didn’t work. I don’t know how it works for some people. Like it doesn’t make sense to me, - rubbing on your skin forever to allow the BP to soak in. Like your skin isn’t designed for that kind of rough rubbing. The skin is not like it is on our hands.

I also tried Proactive. I honestly knew it wouldn’t work from the start, because I had big cysts. But like honestly…proactive I believe is designed for the people who get like 10 zits an entire year. Its not meant for people who break out like crazy.

In addition, I tired all the off the shelf cleansers and rubbish. None of it works.

But back to my appointment today. Basically my Derm was like you have to start of with very low level dosages of Accutane, otherwise your cysts will get bigger and you will breakout like crazy (she seemed very smart). So she put me at 10mg for the first week, and then by week 4 I will be on 60mg. She basically told me that I will be on Accutane for aprox. 5 months. And she assured me that all my acne would be gone, since I don’t have oily skin, or have acne all over my body. Just my cheeks.

I’m really not the type of guy to get depressed over stuff. I have taken crazy medication before, and I survived it. I just have learned to do other things, then always look at myself in the mirror. Like workout and stuff. I decided to take a year off before I go to college. I’m 18 right now. So it all works out. Tomorrow is my blood test at 12 pm, so I have to fast till then – GAY! But I will keep you people posted…with my drips lips and nonsense. Ha-ha I’m amazing. See ya! biggrin.gif

How old are you btw? I'm 16 and am 2.5 weeks into my first Accutane cycle. My acne was actually pretty mild, no cysts or anything but a good bit of flared up zits. The derm. tried everything on me and feard scarring...so now I am what I call a "Tanehead" lol. I think it'll all work out for you though. Best of luck and down with acne!

hey man, thanks for the reply..

i guess you didnt catch my age in my thread. But thats alright. Im 18. whats a tanehead? sorry im stupid.

mannnnnnnn....i need to see some improvements!! sad.gif

ya ya, i know, it takes time. Well so far, i haven't really noticed any tremendous side effects. My lips are nice and moist, my eyes arn't dry. However, my face is like 2% dry only on the big cysts. I was looking at one of my cysts yesterday, and it looked like a black head was forming inside it. Whats up with that shit? Im only on 10 mg right now, and it seems like its doing nothing. Maybe its just gettin my body for the crazy dosages coming up in a few days. My face looks like ass too right now. Some about 45% of the pimples have gone down, but they look really red on my face.

chow!

Your only on 10mg a day? I'm on 40mg one day then 80mg the next and I have mild acne....you should consult with your derm....many people have to go on accutane multiple times because the dosage wasn't perscribed right(too low of a dosage) good luck!

hi melis,

The reason my derm put me very low was for one reason. I have a really big cystic acne thing on my cheek, and she said if i start you on 80 right away, i bet it will get even worse. So im working my way up to 80. Tommorow i start 20 mg, then next friday 40, the following week 60. And then i have my appoinment again with my derm.

she also said, started your body to have lower dosages will result in less breakouts.

-------Higher Dose-----------

Hi guys and girls,

Well today i started 20mg from 10mg. I guess i can say im one of the lucky ones who saw some immediate improvements. My whole face has flattened out, and all i have are the red marks right now. However, i still have that huge cyst, so hopefully the higher dosages will kill it. I haven't really had dry skin, or shitty lips yet.

I started using cetaphil lotion, it makes my skin look more livley. Anyways, Next Friday i start 40mg. I'll update again at that time.

-------Hey Turk--------

I'm canadian and we go by pounds here not stone. So im not to sure what

10.5 stones is. I weight about 145, im 18.

hi.. It sounds like you have the same kind of cyst I have.. I got one that was seriously huge, like a bubble. It didn't surface and has been on my face for about 8/9 weeks. I started out on 60 mg Accutane straight away, and the bubble cyst has declined in size. But it's not gone away completely yet q-:

ya man

honestly cysts are piles of SHIT. i wish i could just take a blade and cut it off. Or if one day i got up, it could just break off my face. That would be sooooo nice. But no, mines been here since like the end of sept.

hey hamhead.

Yes to Accutane eh! Im glad to see alot of people now are going to it. Hamhead you should make a thread like this. I enjoy reading how other people are coping too!

=D>

Jay,

I'm going to the dermo in like 2 weeks, and have tried all the over the counter stuff, retin-a micro, and differin cream. I want to ask about accutane, but I wanted to ask you about your skin...make sure you keep us updated, b/c I heard that it really causes bad dryness, and I've already got really sensitive skin. Since you said yours isn't oily, I'd like to know if your skin gets to the point of hurting. I hope it works for you...all of the bad stuff I hear scares me away from trying it ](*,) .

hey leah.

i dont have oily skin but i do have really really sensitive skin. Like after i shave, my skin gets really red. nevertheless, I havent shaved in like 2 weeks, cause i want my skin to heal. However, I'm only on 20 mg right now, and the only dry spots im noticing are on my pimples and the one fucking cyst. However, i know when i hit 60 mg, in 2 weeks my skin will be really dry. However my doctor gave me a bottle of Cetaphil Lotion and told me that will do the trick for dead skin. And she gave me Complex 15 lotion for my hands and body. But she also said, "ONLY USE LOTION WHEN YOU REALLY, AND MUST NEED IT!" because the accutane works better without it or somethin, i dunno.

anyway, dont be afraid accutane. Like honetly my skin was beautiful 2 months ago. I didnt have one mark, not one blemish. Then all of a sudden BOOM. I was loaded. My parents and friends were like "WTF is going on." But honestly, i think i aggravated my acne alot more. I picked like a crazy mofo, every second. Like i had a mirror everywhere i went because i couldnt face the fact that my face was fucked. Anyways what i did was take all my mirrors(except the bath one) and acne products and gave them to my mother to hide. And i told her if i ever ask for them, never to give them to me. My derm told me all i needed was accutane and soap. And my face will be clear in about 4 months. So now instead of looking at myself in the mirror. i do other things to keep me busy. This kept me from picking and constantly reminding myself about my face. And not being reminded by your acne, will keep you less depressed.

So my advice to people on Accutane, is to keep yourself extremely busy. If you have a tendency to touch ur face, it means your doing nothing. Stop Picking and do something: exercise, clean your room, eat fruit loops, etc.

ACCUTANE will hopefully be my hero. And when it does, im gonna invite the president of Roche to my house for dinner.

biggrin.gif/

----HIGHER DOSAGE-------

Well...first of all, i would like to say screw redmarks!!

Today I started 40mg, from 20mg. This week wasnt too bad. I still didnt experience any side effects. My lips are still nice, my acne areas are a tiny bit dry, but not that noticable. HOWEVER, my eyes were feeling really dry somedays, but i put some drops in there for that. It's prolly because I like to rub my eyes alot, not the accutane.

My skin update?!?

Well, good and bad. First off, my right cheek last week was preety swollen looking. However, this week its completley flat. The only thing is the red marks. As for my Left Cheek, THE FUCKEN HUGE CYST IS STILL CHILLING THERE. it hasnt decreased in size, it hasnt done ANYTHING! And today when i woke up, BAM. i got a next cyst, a bit closer to my nose. I guess thats an accuatane breakout. However, an accutane cyst is good, cause it will be gone in like 3 days. Oh and my foredhead, is preety clear now too. So 3rd week of 40mg starts in about 12 hours. I think now the side effects will kick in. I'll update next friday or throughout the week if i notice horrible or pleasant changes.

take care.

First time I ever had a cyst was due to accutane. I got one on my nose and one of my chin. The chin one I left alone, but the nose one I couldn't resist. Many people do not know that you can pop Nost Cysts. You stick your finger in your nose and push outwards. You will never see as much puss in your life. BTW I had no scar, but this is pretty lucky on my part.

Jay C -- what kind of Cetaphil lotion is this that you are using? is it the really thick kind that comes in the tube or jar, or the thinner kind with SPF? i can't figure out which kind of lotion to use when i go on accutane because my poor skin is already dry because of the winter. also, it's not true, right, that accutane only works for people with really oily skin because i don't have really oily skin. thanks!

Hey you guys,

OK I have a question... My doctor put me on 40mg accutane pills for one month. I take one 40mg pill a day. Does this sound right? I am going to the doctor again on Monday to do all the fun blood tests and crap, so Im gonna ask him about this, but do you guys think I should be on a higher dose? My skin is pretty bad, and its only gotten worse the two weeks Ive been on it =( What if he keeps on giving me the same 40mg pills? Will it do anything? Please someone respond!

wow, people are acutally reading my threads. That makes me happy.

Quick update: I shaved my face today after 3 weeks, and holy shit. My face looks slick. I still got the tons of acne, but man it looks bright. I like it. Honestly remember this, if you dont need to shave, dont bother. Allow your face to heal. Thats what i did.

Ok shenanigans you asked me what kinda cetaphil lotion am i using. I'm using the thinner kind with SPF that you mentioned. HOWEVER REMEMBER, my derm told me only to use lotion when you really really need it. If your face looks nice and not dry then dont use it. But if it looks like a crocodile, put some on. For my hands and body my doctor gave me some lotion called COMPLEX 15. ITS NOT MEANT FOR UR FACE! I use the complex 15 alot more then the cetaphil and to be honest i havent even opened the cetaphil box yet!

The oily skin question. Accutane is for all skin types. Some people with oily skin think that accutane will convert their oily skin to normal skin. But they are wrong. Accutane just makes your face less prone to bacteria, dirt, crazy hormones which all cause acne. My skin is normal too, so keep checking back cause you and me will prolly have similar side effects.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok Smashboxqt, depending on your weight is how accutane is presrcribed. However there are exceptions. If you have loads of acne, then you will be prescribed like 60 to 80mg. However, most derms dont start you that high right away. I started at 10mg, and have to work my way up to about 80 mg of Accutane. The reason they start you low, is so you dont break out as bad, and it allows your skin to adjust to the medication. If you were to start straight at 80mg, your face would get nuked. So dont stress the lower dosages because you wanna see your face get better not worst.

hope that helped guys.

FUCKKKKkk!!

had my first break out today..Work up with 2 cysts on my right cheek, 1 on my left cheeck and 2 on my forehead. the forehead ones hurt like a bitch.

ABout that cyst, you can get an injection of cortisone or something like that to help it go down. If you ring your dermotologist she/he may be able to fit you in quickly. The only problem I found with Cortisone was that it can cause temporary pitting. I think it depends on the concentration of the injection.

It sounds like the cyst isn't going down in a hurry so maybe it's worth a crack.

YEY...i love accutane. biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif/ biggrin.gif/

Alright today i start my 60mg, and i have my derm/blood test appointment next week for her to check me out. But this week was serious improvments. The breakout i had earlier, has gone completly down and that huge cyst is finally going down. It is soo small now. Im so happy.

Acne Status: Red Marks all over the place, couple mini zits on my forehead, however i can see a large one forming. But im not gonna stress it. Cause any zits that come up after accutane dissapear real quick.

Side Effects: None. I lost my chapstick this week, i think its under my bed. But my lips are not dry. Face isnt dry. Everything is gravy!

I'll prolly break out this week with the new dose. Whatever. . Keep ya posted.

Ez

On another thread, you said you'd be bumped up to 80mg a day and you weigh 155 lbs. That's high. I weigh the same amount as you. The highest I'm going is 60mg a day...well, 40mg one day, 80mg the next

I'd recommend trying that? smile.gif

UPDATE:Week 4

So today was my Derm appointment, and i dunno it didnt really go too good. She basically told me that i will keep on seeing red marks until i hit the 3 or 4th months. So that basically means January is gonna be a shit whole for me.

But DeluxDog you were so right.....that huge cyst went down like crazy this week. Everymorning its getting flatter, i love it. All my other acne has flattened out, its just the horrible red marks. One thing that sort of scared me was that she said, "theres basically a 50/50 change that u wont have a mark from that cyst." i was like fuck, i dont want a mark on my face. BUT...i dont think she remembers how big the cyst was last month, and how much it has shrunk. I honestly think that cyst will be gone in like 3 weeks. Cause ever since i hit 60mg shits been going good. I'll just have to wait and pray. [-o<

As for side effects, well now im feeling them. This week my cheeks have been very dry. Im gonna start using Cetaphil starting tonite, and ive had to apply chapstick numerous times during the day. Also, my chest and stomach are getting dry.

this shits gonna take time to work, but f it. Once i got a clear face, ill be on top of this world! biggrin.gif/

acne is honestly a killer. I am gettin really fucking sicken tired of this shit now. Like my face is honestly getting raped since i started Accutane. My redmarks without accutane used to fade in like a week, and now all i see is red everywhere. Its discusting, and i dont like looking at myself in the mirror. So i take out my contacts before i look. Like all my acne has gone down...its just these red marks. Ive been told to start using this St. Ives lotion that contains Vitamin E and Vitamin A....its very mild and its like a catalyst to rebuild your skin quicker eliminating the red spots

Cetaphil is an excellent lotion, and im sure i will use it when all this acne shit is over, but Cetaphil doesnt do nothing to skin. It just keeps it soft, the second u wash it off, ur skin is dry again. Where as the one ive started using stays within your skin. Im gonna use this for about 2 weeks, and see what happens.

I've gotten a couple bumps on my neck..ive never had zits on my neck. Must be a accutane break out shit thing.

I'll keep you posted with the new lotion and everything. If anyone wants to know which one im using its this one: http://www.stives.com/products/show_product.cfm?pid=21