Notifications
Clear all

**10mg low dose accutane log**

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/05/2007 3:39 pm

Well let's see, a little history about me....I started breaking out with mild/moderate on my cheeks when I was 16/17. At the time I didn't really care because I thought I would grow out of it in a couple of years. Yeah right! Fast forward to my junior year in college, I, for some reason or another stopped breaking out and was 100% clear for a good 6-8 months. Then it started to come back but not on my cheeks anymore, just random spots anywhere on my face. As the years passed, the spots migrated mainly to my jawline area.

Fast forward to the beginning of last year....my spots really started to bother me due to the fact that I was 27 at the time and all of this nonsense should of been over by now. So i made a derm appointment and asked for some antibiotics or Accutane......she was really stubborn and didn't give me those, instead was prescribed Retin-A and topical Clindamycin. Looking back, what a waste of time because I knew topicals wouldn't do anything. How did I know this you ask? Because I have a brother who is a year younger that started breaking out the same time I did. The only difference is that he went on two rounds of Accutane after trying all the topicals and now he is spotless! Why I didn't go on Accutane when he did, I have no clue. I know, I know, everyone is different, but I mean come on, what better measuring stick than my own flesh and blood! When we were growing up, people would get confused because we look so much alike. Anyways, after 6 months of this topical treatment nonsense and 45 minutes in the waiting room and literally 3 minute office visits, I switched derms.

This new derm spent the time to talk to me and was more open to suggestions with the possiblility to low dose Accutane due to my acne being mild. He told me that topicals wouldn't work for me, and put me on Minocycline, 100mg. I took this for about 4-5 months seeing no real change. So I went back recently and told him that I would like to try low dose accutane. He agreed, and started me off on 10mg a day, with the possibility of upping the dose in the future to 20mg (do they have a 30mg dose?) but would not give me 40mg. Something is better that nothing right? Maybe because I am a guy, but I didn't think Ipledge was all that bad. I signed the forms, the nurse registered me, I got a blood test (after wiggling the needle in my arm for about 5 minutes she finally found the vein )and picked up my accutane the next day.

I feel sorry for some of the people on this site as to the amount of time they have to wait to get a derm appointment. I can literally call my derm and get an appointment that day or the next.

Stats

Severeity:Mild but persistant, about 3-4 active spots at any given time, with 3-4 spots that are in their fading stage

Problem areas: some spots on back, Jawline/chin, temples

Skin type: oily

Possible triggers: I notice when i eat a lot of sugar i tend to break out more, also certain types of nuts break me out, i.e Cashews

Lifestyle: I am pretty active, weightlift 4-5 times a week, don't drink soda or juice, just water, don't eat sweets, chips etc. that often. don't eat fast food at all.

Body type: Ectomorph ( meaning i can eat anything i want and still not gain weight)

Things I've tried: BP, SA, B5 powder, no carb diet, Tetracycline, Minocycline, Retin-A, Clindamycin, Benzaclin

Routine: My routine is pretty simple right now

AM - get up, wash face with warm water, spot treat with BP

PM - wash face in shower with Phisoderm (has SA in it), shave after, spot treat with BP before bed.

Goal: to be 100% clear, but would be happy if i only got 1-2 spots every 1-2 weeks.

Day 1

Popped my first pill last night, woke up with a dry throat. that's about it. Started to use lip balm. Better to be proactive than reactive right? lolz

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/07/2007 2:40 pm

Day 3

Just took my 3rd pill last night. Nothing new to report, still oily and my lips are not dry yet.

MemberMember
(@tim1986)

Posted : 01/07/2007 4:28 pm

Hey just stoppin by to wish you luck on your treatment, hope you get what you want out of this experience(clear)

MemberMember
(@beebo-x3)

Posted : 01/07/2007 4:56 pm

hey, stopping by to wish you luck :) .. isn`t it excited your on something that pretty much garuntees clear skin in a couple months..

anyways were pretty close in progress, but i bet you won't experience much side effects as soon on a low dose. i`ve heard reaally good things about low doses, so you might wanna go check out some of the low dose logs on here, theyre kinda amazing :D ..

see ya

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/07/2007 7:23 pm

Thanks guys. I know it will be a slow going process and I am fine with that. After 10+ years, what's another 5-6 months right? I will give the 10mg's 1-2 months and then see where I go from there. Hopefully I will see some progress and stick with 10-20mg. Best of luck to both of you.

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/08/2007 12:56 pm

Day 4

Took my 4th pill yesterday, everything is normal, no side effects yet. Worked out yesterday, no muscle soreness today.

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/09/2007 12:57 pm

Day 5

Took my 5th pill last night. No noticeable side effects yet. Worked out again, no soreness to report. I will probably only post when something noticeable happens, so it might be a while until I update this log. In the mean time, good luck to all of you!

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/12/2007 1:17 pm

Day 8

Took my 8th pill last night. I am happy to say that it is kicking in, the skin around my nose and mouth is feeling drier/tighter but not to the point of flaking. My lips are still not dry though. Still weightlifting but have no muscle soreness what-so-ever. No IB to speak of yet either.

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/16/2007 2:23 pm

Day 12

popped my 12th pill last night. Skin is starting to flake around my mouth. I just use a washcloth to scrub off the dead skin in the shower. and my lips are drying out. Using Vasaline Lip Therapy which is really good but a little too shiny (me being a guy). Still no muscle soreness or IB to speak of yet.

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/18/2007 3:15 pm

Day 14

So I have two spots that were in their last days of fading away (you couldn't tell they were there, flat to the touch, almost close to my natural skin color) that suddenly took a 180 degree turn and now are raised and red. Is this due to Accutane? hmm, wierd that they would come back when they were pretty much dead and gone.

Other than that, pretty clear. Some small flesh colored bumps on the right side of my forehead that won't go away. They are not red and you can't see them unless you look closely. I won't be messing with them. Noticed that oil on my nose has decreased about 50% and the pores are getting smaller.

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 01/25/2007 6:47 pm

Day 21

Well it seems I was not lucky enough to dodge the IB bullet. Currently have about 10 spots, twice of what I consider a normal breakout. These spots are coming from deep within my skin. They start as little hard bumps and gradually get bigger. Couldn't stand them so I killed them all. Also i've noticed that half of these are symmetrical, i.e. appearing in the same place on each half of my face. I will be scheduling an appointment with the derm next week and I will see if he'll bump me up to 20mg's. No noticable side effects besides some flakes around my nose and mouth area.

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 02/01/2007 2:51 pm

Day 28

Still getting over my IB. couple new ones popped up. New ones seem to be coming from deep within my skin. Only side effects are some flakes around my nose and mouth area and dry lips. No muscle soreness to speak of.

MemberMember
(@pnk)

Posted : 06/20/2007 8:02 pm

ok, it's been a while since I updated this thing.

Brief run down of what has happened within the past 4+ months:

On the 3rd month on Accutane got bumped up to 20mg a day instead of 10mg.

Stopped breaking out regularly by the 5th month of treatment.

I will be done with treatment on July 4th :)

Still have dry lips which is easily remedied with Vaseline Lip Therapy and some flakiness on my chin but I just scrub my face when I shower to get rid of them. No body aches. Still not using any moisturizer.

I'll see if I can talk my Derm into extending treatment for another one or two months. Maybe start taking 10 - 20 mg every other day to slowly ween myself off of Accutane. It's been so long and I've come so far, I just don't want acne coming back. Hopefully 6 months was enough.

MemberMember
(@jouse)

Posted : 06/20/2007 8:48 pm

I am 17 years old and my weigth is 58kg how i must to take it?

MemberMember
(@mustaine502)

Posted : 04/23/2013 5:14 pm

Very interesting. It seems we have a lot of commonalities with acne type, i have almost the same pattern (mainly temples and jawline - occasionally nose). Have been on clindoxyl and retin a mico for almost a year now with significant, but not enough improvement. Was thinking of starting a 10mg/daily accutane program and then going back to retin a micro just to control it (if needed).

Did you have any gastrointestinal issues or any other health side effects while using (or that emerged after using) ? I've heard horror stories of IBS months after finishing