Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
parotthead

starting accutane next week/advice about antibiotics

Hi guys. I am new here. I am 23 and have had acne for about 8 years. I am starting accutane next week and I am really scared. I currently get cystic acne (really bad cysts) on my chin. I get like 2 or 3 a month and they usually do not go away unless I go to the derm and get them injected. This is the only acne I get on my face and none on my body. I have 2 questions: First, will accutane cause me to break out all over my face, or just on my chin? I am really scared about getting these HUGE cysts all over my face, although I could handle regular acne(whiteheads, ect). Has anyone else had this type of acne and taken accutane? I am just wondering how horrible this initial breakout is going to be because a month after I start taking accutane I am attending my college graduation. Alot of my family and my boyfriends family are coming to watch me and I dont want to look horrible! Any advice would help, so please advise me! I want to be prepared for what I have in store.

Also, just a comment for those people that are wondering about antibiotics (I noticed alot of posts about them). I took minocycline or doxycyline continously for the past 4 years and my skin was basically completely clear during that time. The acne just came back a few months ago. So, it is possible to have long term results while you are on antibiotics, but it did (for me) come back eventually. I know treatments work differently for everyone, but I think anyone considering antibiotcis should give them a try, at least for a few months.