Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remember4

questions about anti-candida diet

I'm trying out an anti-candida diet because I notice that high-sugar foods aggravate my acne. The resources I've found online say that nutritional yeast (or any other kind of yeast) aren't good and neither is apple cider vinegar. That kind of stinks because of how they're supposed to be good for acne treatment. And then mushrooms aren't good either, which stinks because I really like them :)

Anyway, my basic question is: how strictly do you have to stick to the dietary recommendations to see results?

And does anyone have any specific advice about treating candida? I haven't been tested or anything, but I figure it can't hurt to adjust my diet a little bit or even do a cleansing program to see if it affects my acne.

Hi Katie,

There are lots of different candida protocols. You can get a lot of straightforward, good info at askshelley.com. Look at the FAQs. She actually recommends taking ACV and nutritional yeast during an anti-candida diet. I would think wild mushrooms would be okay occassionally, but if you wanted to play it safe, you could avoid them for the first month.

A stool test can give you an indication of whether or not you have candida. Really, though, an anti-candida diet is generally effective against acne. Askshelley has some anti-candida diet guidelines, although I have to say, personally, I had to tweak them a bit before I was truly successful (in getting rid of acne, that is).....cleansing will always involve some experimentation.

Other tools against candida are bowel cleansing (like colonics), probiotics - especially kefir and homemade sauerkraut. Some people also take antifungals like garlic, caprylic acid, oregano oil, etc.

Let us know what you try and good luck!

There is quite a good website by Karen Tripp at http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4966/ where she talks about dairy etc being okay so long as its heated, and if you take anti-fungals - she recommends Formula SF 722 by Thorne. Its a lot less rigid than others, but she swears by it, and I have used this as my guide for my anti-candida diet, and its worked well. I take a range of products to kill candida, including small doses of colloidal silver, the SF 722, coconut oil, and olive leaf extract. I did the regime last year and found that it hastened my recovery from the external effects of golden staph very quickly. I am back on it again for a little while after indulging a little too much over the Christmas period and finding that my body was pretty exhausted from all the sugar etc.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! I've been following anti-candida guidelines for the past several days and have noticed fewer spots. Basically I'm sticking to vegetables, nuts, seeds, except for a grapefruit at breakfast and rice while I was out to eat a couple times. I'm taking Jarrodophilus twice a day which has been wonderful in making my BMs regular. I have some coconut oil and garlic at home so I'll try to incorporate that into my diet. And I might start on some oregano oil capsules

Hi Katie,

I'd encourage you to eat at eggs at least. Fish and meat are okay on a candida diet, too (not sure if you're vegetarian). Another great thing is homemade broth for lots of easily digestible nutrients. I think you need rebuilding foods after a fast, and your body will be better equipped to get rid of candida if its getting all its nutrients. This is just my opinion, but a diet of only vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds and rice is a deficient one.

Yeah, you're probably right. I do incorporate fish into my diet and will do so more regularly now.

Hi Katie,

I'd encourage you to eat at eggs at least. Fish and meat are okay on a candida diet, too (not sure if you're vegetarian). Another great thing is homemade broth for lots of easily digestible nutrients. I think you need rebuilding foods after a fast, and your body will be better equipped to get rid of candida if it's getting all it's nutrients. This is just my opinion, but a diet of only vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds and rice is a deficient one.