Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
syntax86

My Benz-Oil Regimen Log

Greetings all! I assume this is the best place to post my trials and tribulations regarding this over-the-counter BP cream (see or the product homepage for more information...) I've been following the thread on this board for a few months and haven't found a comprehensive review, but the product looked promising so I thought I'd provide such an overview.

Background: I am a 17-year old male with slight to moderate acne on my face (forehead, mouth), neck, and upper back. I have dealt with it for many years, and haven't found any product that really worked -- maybe it was a combination of not using them correctly and of them not being the best products. I swim almost daily, so the chlorine could have some effect. Several months ago, I found Dan's regimen and started using it because it seemed like an honest attempt to help people and not just a marketing ploy... I purchased his BP gel and have been following his regimen as described below for a few months.

Morning:

- Wash face in shower (was using Purpose, but switched to Dove)

- Shave (currently using Mach 3 & Edge shaving cream)

- Liberally apply Dan's BP to face, back, neck

- Wait fifteen or so, moisturize with Cetaphil

Afternoon:

- Wash face with soap

- Liberally apply BP to face

- Wait fifteen or so, moisturize with Cetaphil

This routine reduced my acne to a slight annoyance. However, new pimples were still forming occasionally (mostly I am concerned with my face and neck, as my back isn't visible except when I swim). I also noticed that red marks were taking longer to disappear and that I was occasionally developing some under-the-skin pimples that would be rather more painful than normal. That routine is still a fallback (and it can probably be tweaked a bit), but I wanted to test the economy and efficacy of Benz-Oil.

Prior to the Experiment:

I ordered Benz-Oil from eBay... Somewhat worried about the professionalism of a skin care product sold on eBay, but I'm just hoping there's no rat poison in mine. $26.00 for 4 ounces.

First Impressions:

My order came on December 28th with a padded envelope containing a bottle that looked identical to the one shown in the eBay auction. On the top, "BENZ-OIL® (10% Benzoyl Peroxide)" is taped. On one side of the bottle is the label that says:

Ingredient list: Benzoyl Peroxide 10%, Kiwi Seed Oil, Hazelnut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Water and Carbopol.

Warnings: When using this product avoid sun exposure and use sunscreen. External use only. This product may bleach hair or fabrics. Keep out of reach of children.

Day 0

So, I decided to try it for the first time on the morning of December 31, 2006. Before applying anything, I took some photographs of my skin to show what it looked like on a bad day with Dan's regimen. As I mentioned before, new pimples formed occasionally and I had some visible red marks. Alas, I used my digital camera but did not put it in macro mode, so the photos came out somewhat blurry...

gallery_52687_5273_2947.jpg

gallery_52687_5273_3615.jpg

I shook the jar, and it gurgled around like liquid. I didn't quite know how much to use, so I guestimated; I eventually figured out how to apply it. Off the bat, I could tell that I would not like this consistency. Dan's gel is the best I have ever used: it applies clear and is absorbed easily. The Benz-Oil is a liquidy base with little granules of what I assume are the kiwi seeds (as described on the product website). The granules are the abrasive part...they do break up, though, if you rub them directly into the skin. It applies white and pasty at first, and as you rub it in, it gradually disappears. I found that the circular motions suggested worked well; I have to do it with small areas, though, in order for the granules to be absorbed. In short, the consistency leaves much to be desired.

gallery_52687_5273_1518.jpg

gallery_52687_5273_3648.jpg

I applied it directly after shaving to my face, back, and neck. I did not feel any stinging sensation that others have reported -- the only unpleasant feeling was in rubbing in the granules (which I hope don't hurt me more than they help). After rubbing it in, my skin felt pleasant, and much less dry than with Dan's gel. The Cetaphil moisturizer always left a shiny glint on my skin that I didn't really like (especially if there was any sweat after I applied it) -- Benz-Oil is much less shiny, but not quite as moisturizing. I'll have to see if I end out needing to use Cetaphil, but for now, my skin feels fine after applying it.

The smell is somewhat pleasant. Unlike the medicinal smell of most BPs, this smells a bit more like lotion...can't quite place it, but it's not quite as strong and doesn't last very long after applying it.

The amount that I ended out using is far less than with Dan's. Generally, I didn't want to load up because the cream and granules spread out a fair amount before being taken in by my skin... A dab the size of my fingertip above covered a good four square inches of my face. So if this ends out working, it would be more cost effective than Dan's cream.

I stayed up through most of the night for New Year's and ended out using it three times throughout the day.

Goodluck bro

When i recieved it i didnt expect it to be creamy.

I been on it for almost a week now.

I been aplying it at night all over my face so far

its been working i just hope i dont go through another IB.

Morning

-wash with cetaphil gentle cleanser ( used to use dans cleanser but it dried out my skin bad )

-aply cetaphil lotion

-wait 1 hour aply tazorac

Night

-wash with cetaphil cleanser

-wait 10 minutes then aply ben-zoil

supplements

-Omega 3-6-9 w/ ( drink hella water throughout the day =)

Day 1

The consistency maybe needs a bit more explanation. I probably didn't read the forum post enough to know that it wasn't going to be creamy, so it took me a bit by surprise. It's actually not too bad once you get used to it. I don't much care for the hard little granules, but otherwise it's like some of the other BP stuff I've used. It absorbs rather well, and one advantages is that I know when to stop rubbing it in. Unlike with Dan's cream which was clear all the time, this stuff eventually turns clear when it is rubbed all the way in. And it's not too bad to apply it, as long as you gently massage it so it doesn't hurt your skin too much.

So far, so good. One of the pimples grew rather large but receeded by the end of the day. It seems to be starting to work clearing up red marks. My main test is to see if a) no new pimples form in the problem areas, and b) if they do form, they receed quickly.

gallery_52687_5273_3537.jpg

gallery_52687_5273_5760.jpg

I applied it the same frequency as with Dan's cream -- twice a day to my face and once to my neck and back. I noticed that my neck was starting to get a little dry and itchy (not flaking, though), so I used some Cetaphil on it -- I guess it's not moisturizing enough to use without any added moisturizer.

It's still really too early to tell anything, but the good thing is that there's no harsh or sudden reactions, and it's agreeing with my skin so far. I'll post back in a few days with progress.

Any updates or progress? :)

Haha yeah sorry, been kind of experimenting and playing with it (and finals at school didn't leave me with much time recently)... I will post an update tomorrow. :D

Of course, "tomorrow" is a relative term. I've postponed writing because (1) I haven't figured out what works for me completely yet, and (2) I wanted to try to give a bit more depth instead of just a quick post.

Now I'm on Day 19 of using Benz-Oil, and there have been ups and downs. It hasn't been the miraculous cure I might have been hoping for. Several distinct points I have noticed:

First of all, it keeps my skin less dry and tight-feeling than other BP. Of course, I'm attributing this to the fact that it has oils mixed in with it. It doesn't, however, eliminate all acne unless I'm not using it right. I still use it twice a day on my face, once on my neck, and once on my back. I generally am not breaking out on my face or neck, but new pimples form occasionally. Another advantage to this BP is that it does seem to clear up pimples and red marks pretty quickly. Generally, it's a matter of a few days from when I notice one forming to when it is almost gone. My back is a different story; it doesn't seem to be working quite as well there.

I've been playing with moisturizers and other additives to my regimen in hopes that I could compliment a strong BP with other good skin stuff. When I ran out of Cetaphil, I bought Lac-hydrin Five and a bottle of Jojoba oil in hopes that the AHA + oil would help my skin. I applied a few drops of the oil mixed with some of the lotion, and it seemed to make my neck and back very red (sunburned-looking)... as soon as I let up on the Lac-hydrin, it subsided. It always stung when I put it on my neck and didn't seem to help very much with anything, so I decided to try to find a better moisturizer. I have since found that although Cetaphil works well, Complex 15 is just as moisturizing without being so glossy. Jojoba oil seems to work well with my skin consistency, though. I'm also testing a stronger AHA (Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion) on my face to see what effects it may have.

In short, I'm pretty happy with where I am right now, but I haven't gotten a stable regimen nor have I determined if I can really attribute much of my clarity to the Benz-Oil. I'm thinking that if I figure out a combination of products that works well, I'll try Dan's BP again when I run out of Benz-Oil in order to see if it really was that much better.

Questions or suggestions are welcomed!

Ive started using it today, Will post how it goes, ive recently been struggling with Dans gel so hopfully this stuff is the solution. We will see but im praying it is.

Btw, Why not try without any moisturiser atall for a while and see if you clear up? When I was using dans gel I was always alot clearer when i skipped moisuriser and I really dont think i will need any using the Benz-oil.

Ive started using it today, Will post how it goes, ive recently been struggling with Dans gel so hopfully this stuff is the solution. We will see but im praying it is.

Btw, Why not try without any moisturiser atall for a while and see if you clear up? When I was using dans gel I was always alot clearer when i skipped moisuriser and I really dont think i will need any using the Benz-oil.

I tried a bit at the beginning, but I definitely need a moisturizer on my neck, and my face sometimes feels a bit dry and itchy if I go for a while without moisturizing. Plus, I swim, so the chlorine dries my skin out even more... But I was trying to find one that worked with being the least invasive, and Complex 15 seems to do that pretty well. Cetaphil works well for me too, but it's a bit more oily. What's up in the air right now is if I should/need to use anything with AHA or jojoba oil... I think the AHA might help a bit? I'm not sure. But generally, I feel like this concoction of everything I'm putting on my skin can't really be good for it in the long run...

Ive tried so many moisturisers and when I was clear on dans gel several months ago I wouldnt have stayed that way if i were moisturising twice a day, mainly the problem was around my mouth/chin. Now dans gel just isnt working for me so ive gone the benz-oil. Are you rubbing it in? or just leaving it to adsorb? its quite gritty with the bp bits rubbing might not do to much good. What you think? I was concerned the oil would make my skin red, which is what happened with the jojoba oil when I used it, after the first application it seems ok though.

Ive tried so many moisturisers and when I was clear on dans gel several months ago I wouldnt have stayed that way if i were moisturising twice a day, mainly the problem was around my mouth/chin. Now dans gel just isnt working for me so ive gone the benz-oil. Are you rubbing it in? or just leaving it to adsorb? its quite gritty with the bp bits rubbing might not do to much good. What you think? I was concerned the oil would make my skin red, which is what happened with the jojoba oil when I used it, after the first application it seems ok though.

I was surprised at how gritty it was when I first used it as well. What I do (as was suggested on the package) is apply a small amount to a given area and then just slowly rub in with a circular motion the granules. It generally doesn't irritate my skin even if it is a bit abrasive. Other people have said that they do not rub in the little bits all the way and just rinse them off, but I haven't found too much problem with my skin -- I could see how it would hurt some people though. I would suggest trying to rub it in gently, and if it seems to be too painful / irritate your skin, then to just wash off the leftover dots when you're done.

I did rub it in and it was suprisingly ok, absorbed very quickly. Am just going to have to see how it goes. Good luck.

Of course, "tomorrow" is a relative term. I've postponed writing because (1) I haven't figured out what works for me completely yet, and (2) I wanted to try to give a bit more depth instead of just a quick post.

Now I'm on Day 19 of using Benz-Oil, and there have been ups and downs. It hasn't been the miraculous cure I might have been hoping for. Several distinct points I have noticed:

First of all, it keeps my skin less dry and tight-feeling than other BP. Of course, I'm attributing this to the fact that it has oils mixed in with it. It doesn't, however, eliminate all acne unless I'm not using it right. I still use it twice a day on my face, once on my neck, and once on my back. I generally am not breaking out on my face or neck, but new pimples form occasionally. Another advantage to this BP is that it does seem to clear up pimples and red marks pretty quickly. Generally, it's a matter of a few days from when I notice one forming to when it is almost gone. My back is a different story; it doesn't seem to be working quite as well there.

I've been playing with moisturizers and other additives to my regimen in hopes that I could compliment a strong BP with other good skin stuff. When I ran out of Cetaphil, I bought Lac-hydrin Five and a bottle of Jojoba oil in hopes that the AHA + oil would help my skin. I applied a few drops of the oil mixed with some of the lotion, and it seemed to make my neck and back very red (sunburned-looking)... as soon as I let up on the Lac-hydrin, it subsided. It always stung when I put it on my neck and didn't seem to help very much with anything, so I decided to try to find a better moisturizer. I have since found that although Cetaphil works well, Complex 15 is just as moisturizing without being so glossy. Jojoba oil seems to work well with my skin consistency, though. I'm also testing a stronger AHA (Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion) on my face to see what effects it may have.

In short, I'm pretty happy with where I am right now, but I haven't gotten a stable regimen nor have I determined if I can really attribute much of my clarity to the Benz-Oil. I'm thinking that if I figure out a combination of products that works well, I'll try Dan's BP again when I run out of Benz-Oil in order to see if it really was that much better.

Questions or suggestions are welcomed!

I definitely am in the same boat as you -- Hell, the same cabin on the boat, even. -- But not the same bed.

A translation of my analogy: I have been using it for about a month (Not much longer than you), I used to use Cetaphil (And still do sometimes), but have switched to Complex 15 since it's less greasy. I actually wasn't using a moisturizer for awhile because my face didn't seem dry and I thought the oils in it would do the trick.

I ended up clearing up for the most part with pimples that would come and go within a couple days and then I went downhill. I could partially blame it on hormones, perhaps.. But I don't know.

I, too, don't know if I can really determine whether Benz-Oil is really attributing to any clarity. Definitely not the miracle I had hoped for. :(

*Sigh* Keep updating, I have you bookmarked.

Good luck and chin up. :)

Okay, so a while of not posting anything... But I just recently ran out of my 4 ounces of Benz-Oil... It lasted about two months, although it would have lasted a lot longer had I not used it on my back for about half the time. What I eventually settled on was using the Benz-Oil in the AM and PM, mostly concentrated in the areas that I break out in (around the mouth, forehead) and on other areas that may have had pimples, and using mainly Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion to moisturize. The only problem with dryness was on my neck occasionally, and although I liked Complex 15, I found that Cetaphil worked better at making my skin feel more hydrated... I only used it occasionally, however.

And with this regimen, I remained mostly clear. There were times when I would break out in certain areas, but it wouldn't last long and I was able to control it pretty easily. I took a trip to the beach for a couple of days and I'm pretty sure the combination of being out in the cold for a while, pumped mineral well water in the shower, and more generic bar soap caused me to break out on my forehead, but once I got home I was able to fix it pretty quickly.

So now, at least, I have a fallback plan, but before I order more Benz-Oil, I'm gonna take the time to experiment and see if I can't figure out a better way. I know the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mantra, but I'd like to see the impact of just using AHA or so... and after reading about the I decided to order a bar of soap and see if I can't kick BP altogether.

But for those less adventurous (and where I may end up going back), Benz-Oil works wonderfully!