Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Waiting for clear skin

how much did u start off on?

i was just wonderin how much mg of roaccutane did u guys start off on in the first month of treatment? im currently taking 2x10mg which is 20mg per day and i have a feelin it may be too low, or is this normal for the start of a treatment?

Guest Locked In Grace

I started two months ago to the day. 20MG, once a day. Still taking that. I'm clear for the most part, and have definately felt the effects. And this is quite a low dose for me. I'm going long term, low dose. Probably up it to 30MG a day soon though.

I started off on 40mg a day, then went up to 60mg for the majority of the course. Don't worry yet about whether it's too low.. quite a number of people start off on 20mg a day with the idea being that you might have less of an initial breakout (if you get one at all, that is) or so that your body can get used to the drug because you're slowly easing into it as a pose to jumping right in on a higher dose. Have a chat with your derm next time you go and he'll probably confirm that he'll up the dose after a little while if things have been going along ok on 20mg. Good luck :]

what would you guys think a reasonable treatment for a male, age 20, 175 lbs? i mean i know my derm will decide... but, would 5 months going 40, 60, 80, 80, 80 sound good?

You need to work out your weight in KG. You shold be on 0.5- 1.0 mg / kg of your weight. So if you're a very slight build and weigh maybe 50kg then 20mg/day is probably the best option.

what would you guys think a reasonable treatment for a male, age 20, 175 lbs? i mean i know my derm will decide... but, would 5 months going 40, 60, 80, 80, 80 sound good?

Different derms take different approaches. I started at 40 mg/day for two weeks and then bumped up to 80 mg/day. I weigh 185lbs. Some derms are more cautious and others more aggressive. I think mine was somewhat middle of the road.

P&W

20mg for 2 weeks (+2 Erythromycin Morning & Night)

40mg for 2 weeks (+2 Erythromycin Morning & Night)

60mg ..and counting, not sure if i'll be upped again, i don't think i will be..