Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
booster

What did our ancestors do?

The more I read about acne, the more I see that it's mainly a problem of modern civilization. It looks like it's a combination of our diets and lifestyles. I think one possability is that we, as a culture, are too obsessed with cleanliness. Our ancestors thousands of years ago didn't shower every day -- few had such a luxury. Even those that did wouldn't have used soap or cleansers but oils (such as scented olive oil) to keep their skin soft.

Maybe, as crazy as this sounds, we should just stop washing so much, or at least our faces.

As an example, has anyone here ever been sick for an extended period where they didn't wash/shower the entire time? I did and during that time I had some of the clearest skin I'd ever had. For the first few days it looked pretty oily, but after a while it regulated itself and looked fine. Two weeks later I was clear and healty again so foolishly I started back up on my cleansers. What do you know, within a week I started to break out.

Anyone else tried something like this?

The more I read about acne, the more I see that it's mainly a problem of modern civilization. It looks like it's a combination of our diets and lifestyles. I think one possability is that we, as a culture, are too obsessed with cleanliness. Our ancestors thousands of years ago didn't shower every day -- few had such a luxury. Even those that did wouldn't have used soap or cleansers but oils (such as scented olive oil) to keep their skin soft.

Maybe, as crazy as this sounds, we should just stop washing so much, or at least our faces.

As an example, has anyone here ever been sick for an extended period where they didn't wash/shower the entire time? I did and during that time I had some of the clearest skin I'd ever had. For the first few days it looked pretty oily, but after a while it regulated itself and looked fine. Two weeks later I was clear and healty again so foolishly I started back up on my cleansers. What do you know, within a week I started to break out.

Anyone else tried something like this?

Yes I have found something similar to this an example is when I go camping and I dont take anything to wash my face with just leave my skin and whne im done camping my skin is much clearer or so if I go on a road trip for a couple of day without washing my skin and just going to sleep without washing my skin seems to look somewhat better... it sounds weird but you could have a point, why not try it for a couple of weeks without washing your face and see how it goes maybe it could work for you. Good luck anyway, im a belieave in trying everything that comes to mind regarding acne.

When I had the stomach flu a few weeks ago, I literally could not stand to shower. I ended up taking baths and just splashing my face with warm water. Nothing else. My skin healed. The active pimples that I had, completely dried up and just went away. The red marks from those also started healing almost immediately. I've never seen anything like it. It's the first time that I've been sick like that since I was 6 years old...so it's possible that what some of us need to do is just stop washing to let our skin heal all on its own. Another thing though that my boyfriend brought up was that perhaps my acne cleared up a lot is because I was severely dehydrated and maybe the dehydration caused my acne to dry up as well? It's possible, like I said I haven't been so sick since I was really young and never before have I had to be hospitalized for dehydration. Either way, the sickness sucked but my skin looked better afterwards.

When I had the stomach flu a few weeks ago, I literally could not stand to shower. I ended up taking baths and just splashing my face with warm water. Nothing else. My skin healed. The active pimples that I had, completely dried up and just went away. The red marks from those also started healing almost immediately. I've never seen anything like it. It's the first time that I've been sick like that since I was 6 years old...so it's possible that what some of us need to do is just stop washing to let our skin heal all on its own. Another thing though that my boyfriend brought up was that perhaps my acne cleared up a lot is because I was severely dehydrated and maybe the dehydration caused my acne to dry up as well? It's possible, like I said I haven't been so sick since I was really young and never before have I had to be hospitalized for dehydration. Either way, the sickness sucked but my skin looked better afterwards.

Interesting thought on the dehydration thing, because when I was sick this was also the case. But it seems to go against the common knowledge that drinking more water is good for your skin.

Another reason might be that while sick I hardly ate anything, and what I did eat was a little bit of chicken and a banana. Perhaps it was also the diet.

Most likely it's a combination of all the things.

maybe your immune system is fighting off the illness and not attacking the p acnes in your skin, reducing inflammation, just a thought, i don't know if it's true or not.

Interesting thought on the dehydration thing, because when I was sick this was also the case. But it seems to go against the common knowledge that drinking more water is good for your skin.

Another reason might be that while sick I hardly ate anything, and what I did eat was a little bit of chicken and a banana. Perhaps it was also the diet.

Yeah I was thinking that too. Although when I was sick I ate absolutely nothing. I couldn't. Everything I drank just came right back up again...food was the last thought on my mind. It's also possible what Jordan said about our immune systems fighting off the illness which could lead to a reduction in the inflammation of acne. Either one is really a good idea.

I went on this camping trip, didn't wash my face, and then I didn't get any new pimples! hehe.

Yeah I was thinking that too. Although when I was sick I ate absolutely nothing. I couldn't. Everything I drank just came right back up again...food was the last thought on my mind. It's also possible what Jordan said about our immune systems fighting off the illness which could lead to a reduction in the inflammation of acne. Either one is really a good idea.

Also a good point. It really does seem contradictory to what common sense would say though, doesn't it? You'd think that the healthier someone is, the clearer their skin would link. Maybe it is true though that because our immune systems were weakened, they weren't inflamming our zits. So the clogging and bacteria was still there, but wasn't being fought against.

It's a good theory, but it just feels wrong somehow. How did our ancestors keep their skin clear? How do people in non-westernized countries do it? I still think it's because they lack the harsh chemicals that we use to wash our faces.

Also a good point. It really does seem contradictory to what common sense would say though, doesn't it? You'd think that the healthier someone is, the clearer their skin would link. Maybe it is true though that because our immune systems were weakened, they weren't inflamming our zits. So the clogging and bacteria was still there, but wasn't being fought against.

It's a good theory, but it just feels wrong somehow. How did our ancestors keep their skin clear? How do people in non-westernized countries do it? I still think it's because they lack the harsh chemicals that we use to wash our faces.

I think it has a lot to do with the chemicals in our foods and also the chemicals topically applied to our skin. I know my skin is extremely sensitive and years of washing with cleansers/toners/astringents...all that stuff just aggravated my acne and made me worse off. If I had known this when I was younger and just gently treated my acne then I doubt I would have suffered for so long. I think when I first broke out with acne was just hormonal normal teenager stuff but I just provoked it by washing more and more. I hate the thought that I caused it myself, but how did I know?! No one knows until they are informed and when you're a young kid breaking out with acne your first thought isn't to jump onto the internet and research it. Let alone come to acne.org which didn't even exist. Even now there's not a lot out there to help people with acne.

I think it has a lot to do with the chemicals in our foods and also the chemicals topically applied to our skin. I know my skin is extremely sensitive and years of washing with cleansers/toners/astringents...all that stuff just aggravated my acne and made me worse off. If I had known this when I was younger and just gently treated my acne then I doubt I would have suffered for so long. I think when I first broke out with acne was just hormonal normal teenager stuff but I just provoked it by washing more and more. I hate the thought that I caused it myself, but how did I know?! No one knows until they are informed and when you're a young kid breaking out with acne your first thought isn't to jump onto the internet and research it. Let alone come to acne.org which didn't even exist. Even now there's not a lot out there to help people with acne.

Well said. The more I read on this topic the more I think that the old saying "less is more" applies here.

I like this discussion... I recently cut back my topical regiment to washing with olive oil soap, moisturizing with jojoba oil, spot treating with tea tree oil, and occasional masks. Even that is still pretty significant, but nothing compared to the toners, creams, etc. I've used in the past. I've almost used topicals compulsively, but when I let go, it doesn't seem to kill my skin the way I expected it to.

I like this discussion... I recently cut back my topical regiment to washing with olive oil soap, moisturizing with jojoba oil, spot treating with tea tree oil, and occasional masks. Even that is still pretty significant, but nothing compared to the toners, creams, etc. I've used in the past. I've almost used topicals compulsively, but when I let go, it doesn't seem to kill my skin the way I expected it to.

the past month all I've used is cetaphil once a day, and recently I've cut back on that too. I'm thinking I'll put some olive oil in the cetaphil container so that whenever I do have to wash it'll be a bit less drying.

There will be times when I'll have to wash my face because dirt and grime build up (visible dirt and grime, which I believe is the only time the face really needs washing). In these cases I can just do an Oil wash, which is a mix of olive and castor oils gently massaged onto the face, left for maybe 5-10mins, then gently rubbed off. Supposedly it cleans the skin and leaves it soft.

I don't think our ancestors were necessarily as clean as what you see from movies. But what they didn't do is consume a macronutrient profile so heavily based on processed carbs, or carbs in general. They got a lot of clean/wild meat and fish, fruits, veggies. They did not get munchies, soy filled processed foods, etc.

I don't think our ancestors were necessarily as clean as what you see from movies. But what they didn't do is consume a macronutrient profile so heavily based on processed carbs, or carbs in general. They got a lot of clean/wild meat and fish, fruits, veggies. They did not get munchies, soy filled processed foods, etc.

hahaha of course I don't imagine our ancestors as sparkling clean, but I would imagine them as having relatively clear skin. From an evolutionary standpoint it only makes sense. And yes, you're right about the diet. I'm sure the current problem with acne in society is due in a large point to a combination of poor diet and the use of harsh chemicals on our skin.

Sanitization is more of a problem than a solution

For example there are reports that the incidence of diseases increase in those places that are aseptyc for how clean they are.

One common problem linked to heavy sanitization is vitamin B12

Vitamin B12 is usually poorly absorbed and utilized. Heat and sanitization destroyes most of B12 from food and most of it is analogue anyway not being useful for humans

B12 deficiency is widespread among all kind of eaters and heavy meat eaters are not immune

Although we all can secure some B12 eventually not enough to have perfect levels of homocysteine

Homocysteine related diseases are almost an epidemic in the modern world and everyone from very young children to old people suffer from them

It seems that the only reliable way to secure B12 (supplement aside) in nature is from dirt, from the natural bacteria producing found in water, air, rain, soil and fruits/veggies that have not been washed and sterilized

As far as I know the P. Bacteria of the skin is an endegenous bacteria one that is found in the skin of people who are immune to acne too, so it's not a matter of being infected with the P. Bacteria. Peroxyde that destroys the bacteria decreases the protection of the skin and the protective layer that probably the bacteria is mean to maintain

It's also important to remember that without bacteria we couldn't exist. We're literally made of bacteria and most of them synthesize elements that are needed for our life. Yet even those can become pathological as the terrain changes

I believe allopathic medicine has it all wrong about germs and bacteria (as being proven nowadays by recent studied with the dark scope in Australia) Pasteur himself who is told to be the father of the germ theory admitted his mistake and aknowledge that "the terrain is everything" but it was too late. According to the antropologist Jared Diamond infection and viral diseases are not at all a natural fact humans have to defend themselves from by using drugs; they appeared when humans started to live in small towns and cities and living too close one from the other allowing an unnatural proliferation (trought the trash) of pathogenes that met a fertile terrain

Small communities, as we've always supposed to be, were immune to any form of bacterial and viral infection and disease

Here are two interesting alternative views on germs and diseases

http://www.nancyappleton.com/pages/pasteur.html

The Dreams and Lies of Louis Pasteur [read online]

My parents refused any sort of immunization for me and used the informed consent law to even avoid the compulsory ones. I have never suffered in my life of viral ilnesses like measles, chicken pox, rubella, mumps and so on

Sanitization is more of a problem than a solution

For example there are reports that the incidence of diseases increase in those places that are aseptyc for how clean they are.

One common problem linked to heavy sanitization is vitamin B12

Vitamin B12 is usually poorly absorbed and utilized. Heat and sanitization destroyes most of B12 from food and most of it is analogue anyway not being useful for humans

B12 deficiency is widespread among all kind of eaters and heavy meat eaters are not immune

Although we all can secure some B12 eventually not enough to have perfect levels of homocysteine

Homocysteine related diseases are almost an epidemic in the modern world and everyone from very young children to old people suffer from them

It seems that the only reliable way to secure B12 (supplement aside) in nature is from dirt, from the natural bacteria producing found in water, air, rain, soil and fruits/veggies that have not been washed and sterilized

As far as I know the P. Bacteria of the skin is an endegenous bacteria one that is found in the skin of people who are immune to acne too, so it's not a matter of being infected with the P. Bacteria. Peroxyde that destroys the bacteria decreases the protection of the skin and the protective layer that probably the bacteria is mean to maintain

It's also important to remember that without bacteria we couldn't exist. We're literally made of bacteria and most of them synthesize elements that are needed for our life. Yet even those can become pathological as the terrain changes

I believe allopathic medicine has it all wrong about germs and bacteria (as being proven nowadays by recent studied with the dark scope in Australia) Pasteur himself who is told to be the father of the germ theory admitted his mistake and aknowledge that "the terrain is everything" but it was too late. According to the antropologist Jared Diamond infection and viral diseases are not at all a natural fact humans have to defend themselves from by using drugs; they appeared when humans started to live in small towns and cities and living too close one from the other allowing an unnatural proliferation (trought the trash) of pathogenes that met a fertile terrain

Small communities, as we've always supposed to be, were immune to any form of bacterial and viral infection and disease

Here are two interesting alternative views on germs and diseases

http://www.nancyappleton.com/pages/pasteur.html

The Dreams and Lies of Louis Pasteur [read online]

My parents refused any sort of immunization for me and used the informed consent law to even avoid the compulsory ones. I have never suffered in my life of viral ilnesses like measles, chicken pox, rubella, mumps and so on

they had acne back in the olden days anyway, i read that some of the pharos had bad acne, and in ancient greece they used sulfur baths as an acne treatment. I think this was the first documented treatment for acne.

ehhhhh no immunizations? That's playing it risky. It's one thing to risk your skin on a hunch, another to risk your life. Immunizations don't seem to contain anything harmful. They're simply a way to give your body the necessary immunity without having to get sick in the first place. Getting something as simple as the measles later in life can be very dangerous, but this is kind of side tracking from the topic.

1) Why target the soy? There's a lot worse things to worry about though I will agree processed fake "meat" is not healthy, but I wouldn't say tempeh or tofu is bad. Maybe you disagree, but in their traditional forms they didn't seem to cause much problem.

2) Also, it depends on what ancestors we are talking about. Are we talking about the last hundred years, the last thousand, the last ten thousand? It's such a broad, relative term. If we're talking about the last thousand and depending on location, it could be said our ancestors ate MORE carbs, if by ancestor you mean a Roman grain farmer... it's such a relative term that you can't say they followed a Paleo diet unless you're talking abouit Paleo people, even then it's just speculation.

1. I'm targeting soy because it has targeted me. It's in everything now. Breads, tortillas, salad dressings. One of the primary ingredients is soybean oil, soy fiber, soy flour, etc. And too many people are oblivious to it's impact on health, in fact many believe it is healthy to mass consume. A little tempeh or tofu isn't bad, but when you put it in EVERYTHING and add that to all of the other xenoestrogens we're being exposed to, it leads to suboptimal health.

Just read the pages you linked. That second site is off the charts on wackyness. Look at this one quote:

"In biblical times, people ate fruit and nuts and had good health to ages beyond 900 years, but in Noah's flood, fruits and nuts were so depleted that man has eaten meat, raw and cooked, ever since and suffered and died like these cats."

i dont know about this. dont take a shower and ur acne will go away?till its supported by the scientific community, i wont believe it.

1. I'm targeting soy because it has targeted me. It's in everything now. Breads, tortillas, salad dressings. One of the primary ingredients is soybean oil, soy fiber, soy flour, etc. And too many people are oblivious to it's impact on health, in fact many believe it is healthy to mass consume. A little tempeh or tofu isn't bad, but when you put it in EVERYTHING and add that to all of the other xenoestrogens we're being exposed to, it leads to suboptimal health.

Why not target wheat, dairy, corn and sugar as well then? They are also in most processed foods in some form or another. I think the prevailing message should be processed foods in general are bad, not just the individual ingredients in them but the food as a whole because they are generally a combination of bad things (soy protein isolate, canola oil, HFCS, trans fat, MSG, preservatives). With that said I'd hate to say absolutely ALL processed foods are bad because there are a few ones that aren't bad (some things at Wild Oats, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, frozen vegetables if you consider packaged things as 'processed', Lara Bars, etc.). Too put things in general terms, if there are non-food ingredients like "yeast extract", strange things you can't pronounce, or the food wasn't around 100 years ago... it's probably bad.