Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustTryingToLiveMyLife

I think I have severe acne. ???

Ok so I'm a teenager and yeah we are pretty much known for going through an acne "stage" but I've had it for longer than most other teens. Now I don't have great skin or anything and my face is far from perfect but my back is what bothers me most. Especially being a teen having acne can severely affect your self-esteem. i HATE wearing tank tops, bathing suits, anything that shows my back. It's just EMBARASSING. I didn't know there were so many types of acne till today but I think it is severe acne (like cysts or nodules) Because they are BIG, red, and sometimes PAINFUL. sometimes i get whitehead type things on my back too but mainly it is big red bumps and they are all over the top of my back and spreading. i've had them for....who knows how long. at least a couple of years. i HATE it. Now everyone keeps saying acutane? is that doctor prescribed? b/c right now i don't have health insurance (stupid people) so my my mom would have to pay for the doctor visit and everything which we can't afford. having acne is not cheap. it SUCKS and it is EXPENSIVE. i tried pro-active. didn't work. i've tried all kinds of stuff. now i must admit i do want kinda fast results b/c if i don't think it's working i'll drop it. but if i see some results i'll keep trying it. but anyways i need something CHEAP and preferrably FAST. I don't even know why I have such a problem with acne. I don't think any of my siblings did really and neither did my mom. So my family doesn't have much advice for treating it b/c they've never had to. Please help me so i can live my life like a normal teen and not worry about my back showing!!!

sounds like you do have severe acne. severe acne usually consists of LARGE, INFLAMED nodules and cysts that usually never come to a head and are there for atleast weeks at a time. this is a big problem considering that these leave scars, and even scars on your back can be a burden psychologically. however, you said that you have had this for years, and if it was severe, then it would have most likely left scars already. if it is severe, accutane will definately be your best bet to treat this and will give you the fastest results, but like you said it can get expensive, especially without insurance, and the doctor will probably start you on antibiotics for a while before giving you accutane. however, if it was me, i would scrape up every last penny or beg your folks to get insurance that will cover the expenses...i would give up EVERYTHING that i own to be scar free right now

At least the extent of it is on your back, which doesnt show nearly as much as your face. I'd ask your parents to get insurance and that would at least cover some of the expenses if you went to a dermatolist. OR you could ask the derm for samples instead of getting a prescription filled.

Accutane is way too exspensive for those who dont have insurance. Don't think that accutane is the only way to help with your acne because there are lots of cheap alternatives. Plus, I never took accutane because it poisons your body.

I have back acne, and it's horrible! My friends would invite me to go swimming, but I always made up an excuse.

I tried putting Benzoyl Peroxide on my chest and back but oh my gosh did I ruin almost every shirt I had. BP bleaches almost everything! So my plan was so use it only at night with old shirts. It got rid of my back acne....I was clear for 1 year! Until now after not using it...my back and chest acne have returned.

If you have a dollar general by you, they have good sized Benzoyl Peroxide cream tubes for only $1-2, and they last a long time!! Mix a nickel sized amnt of the cream and some water in your palm, then apply over you acne on your back. WEAR AN OLD SHIRT!

You can always get BP at almost anywhere, but usually it's a really small tube for $4. I used to have to buy like 3 tubes at one time. It was too exspensive (im only 17 and no job lol). My friend told me they sold a bigger tube of BP at Dollar General for half the price, so im really happy about the deal!

LOL

Oh yea, and if you have head and shoulders, you can use that as a body wash. Alot of people say it worked well for acne.

Hope I helped someway! Tell me how it goes, k?

i just remembered about a benzoyl peroxide soap to use on your body (not your face) in the shower. that might be more aggresive and should help out. i got one for like 5$...i think, not sure. but any pharmacy keeps them behind the counter so just ask for Panoxly Bar

Plus, I never took accutane because it poisons your body.

:rolleyes: accutane is fine, and safe if you don't get preg. it's certainly not cheap without insurance though.