Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scooter93

"Ramping Up" Process

Hi,

I just started this regimen last night and I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how much BP to use when starting out. I have very sensitive skin and am already experiencing redness and itching since I began less than 12 hours ago. When using the index finger example, are we talking 1/3 of the finger or less to start off? I used 1/3 last night and this morning and I already want to dig my face apart. Should I still be using less for the time being? I already fear that no amount of moisturizer will suffice in this situation, especially when I'm supposed to use twice this amount in the future. Also, can someone explain why you're supposed to wait so long before applying the moisturizer? Every minute that passes makes my face tighter and drier. The dermatolgist once told me that you should put moisturizer on while your face is still damp in order to seal in the moisture. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for the help!

Sounds like 1/3 finger is irritating you enough already I wouldn't ramp up yet, give it a week doing what your doing now and the redness/itching should subside, then you can go to 2/3 then full over the following week depending on how your skin is reacting I'd play it by ear.

I had used BP before starting the regimen, so went straight on full finger, took about 10 days for it to feel comfortable (no redness, itching etc)

Good luck!

10 days thats it? Ive been on it almost 2 weeks now.

and my skin is still dry and parts are red.

Perhaps because i am also using retin a micro?

Thank you for the advice! Any opinions on using 100% Aloe Vera gel as a moisturizer? It's clear (no white residue), oil-free and absorbs completely into the skin. I've used it in the past as a moisturizer and it's really good. I'm guessing that it would take the sting and redness out of my skin, just like it does for sunburn. If I try it, I'll post the results and let you know. If anyone else reading this has used Aloe Vera gel to calm the side effects of BP, please let me know as well. Thanks again!

Julian, I wouldn't recommend doing bp and retin-a micro unless you're using them at completely separate times, and then I'd even say to use the bp only to spot treat...your face will hurt otherwise biggrin.gif .

Scooter, what % bp are you using? If not 2.5, get a 2.5.

It sounds like your skin is sensitive, so it's good that you are starting with a third of a finger. Do not up that for a week. Then up it slowly. Often times it takes a few days for the redness and dryness to kick in, so even if your skin starts feeling better in a day or two, don't up the dosage for a week.

-Dan

Dan,

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the advice. I bought the Neutrogena On-The-Spot 2.5% vansihing gel like you recommended. My worst fear was confirmed, however, when using even 1/3 of an index finger made my skin so red and so irritated that people at work (literally everyone) asked me if I had a sunburn. The burning and itching were so terrible that I was having a hard time concentrating throughout the day. I went home and immediately washed my face with Dove soap and applied Purpose moisturizer. I haven't used the BP at all except for spot treating, and even then I only used a pea-sized amount. The next day (yesterday) quite a bit of the rash was gone but not all the way so I'm afraid to use more BP. I really want to do this regimen because nothing else has ever worked for me, and I've been dealing with mild/moderate acne since age 16 (I'm 34 now). BP does do wonders for clearing up my face but it comes with such a high price that I don't know if my skin will able to deal with the aggravation. When I first started using acne products as a teenager, I used Cleocin-T 1% gel in the morning and PanOxyl 2 1/2% gel at night, and my face was 100% clear for three years. It eventually stopped working because my chemistry changed (I assume) and since then, I've moved from one failing product to another. I didn't used to be allergic to BP as a teen but maybe there's a chance that I am now. I really hope not because it does work better than anything else I've ever tried. As an adult, my dermatologist has been prescribing me things like Plexion (sulphur and sodium sulfecetamide). These products were effective and way more gentle than BP; however, they lost their effect over time. I'd like to assume that I'm having such a tough time with BP because I haven't used it in at least 7 years. If I'm allergic, I really don't know what else I can do because I've done it all, including oral antibiotics. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

PS I read your bio and I'm also a graduate of JMU - Class of 1991! O:)