Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melancholy

Accutane for the 3rd time?

Alright, I want to hear everyones opinion. Should I go on accutane for the 3rd time? I've been pretty depressed over breaking out so much lately and my doctor offered it and I refused. I was just looking at pics of me off Accutane when I was 19 years old with flawless skin. Do you guys think I should go for it?

Also, If I do, is there a way that the first 2 weeks of breakout can be reduced to a fair amount? The last time I went on Accutane I broke out extremely bad the first 2 weeks it was horrible......i'm scared i'll break out like that again it was extremely humiliating and not sure how I would be able to make it past those first 2 weeks.

I would say go for it. My way of thinking is that if you've already been on accutane twice and the acne is still coming back then there is absolutely nothing else that's going to work any better. My own personal experience was after using it the first time my acne went into a remission for quite some time (like 2 years). It did come back, but in a much more manageable form. I'm able to control it now with OTC stuff. I don't have much advice to give you as for minimizing the initial break out... it's just something you have to live through since you can't apply anything else to your skin while taking accutane. How well and for how long has accutane worked for you in the past?

I would say go for it.  My way of thinking is that if you've already been on accutane twice and the acne is still coming back then there is absolutely nothing else that's going to work any better.  My own personal experience was after using it the first time my acne went into a remission for quite some time (like 2 years).  It did come back, but in a much more manageable form.  I'm able to control it now with OTC stuff.  I don't have much advice to give you as for minimizing the initial break out... it's just something you have to live through since you can't apply anything else to your skin while taking accutane.  How well and for how long has accutane worked for you in the past?

Sounds like a good course of action. Bactrim is what finally got my cystic crap under control in my late teens and early twenties. You will need to be on it for quite some time though (I took it for 2 years). I took accutane in my mid twenties because I'd had enough of battling acne year after year and was hoping to get rid of it all together. It worked pretty well. I'm 33 now and still don't have a perfect complexion, but mostly all I get are 'normal' pimples once in a while and can easily control it with store bought stuff. Good luck with whatever you finally decide.

I've been on for 2 weeks and I think my initial breakout wasn't as bad as they typically are because my derm. also has me putting a thin layer of this Clindamycin stuff on 2x a day.