Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crevin

Something that 'might' work for some of you--

I am a 22 yr old male and have been battling acne/red marks since I was 16. I have tried everything-- Proactiv, CSR, glycolic acid moisturizers, aloe vera, vitamin supplements, neosporin, exercise... you name it. Nothing seemed to clear my face up... until something I started a month and a half ago.

What is it? It's called "leave your face the hell alone" regimen.

Basically, I stopped using all products. Why? A couple of thoughts crossed my mind before I starte this regimen. First, not one of my 6 siblings has ANY acne or red marks. They all have flawless complexion, as well as my parents. Not ONE of them washes their face more than 2-3 times a week... and it is usually just with slightly soapy water. Second, I have been on 1+ week long camping/hiking outings and I never bring soap/cleanser... yet by the end of the trip my face hasn't broken out EVER.

Here is the regimen I started just over a month ago.

Morning--- rinse face off with 5-6 handfuls of hot water. Pat dry. DONE!

Evening-- rinse face with Dan's cleanser. Pat dry. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS WITH CLEANSER. RINSE OFF QUICKLY WITH WARM WATER.

Results?

First week-- no change

Second week-- red marks/acne began to pustule up. It is important at this step to NOT pick them or touch them.

Third week-- pustules dissappeared, maybe 1-2 per week (very slow)

Fourth week-- skin has almost no oil... no new zits!!!

I'll post more... gotta jet to work.

Ok I am at work now, I'll add a few more things--

During the second and third weeks, I didn't see much improvement...HOWEVER, my skin didn't get worse!

Also, some things that inspired me to try this regimen--->

I exercise more than all of my siblings. I also eat the most healthy food out of all of them. I have three brothers who virtually live on fast food... yet have crystal clear complexion. So, if it were to be diet... then there is something they are getting in fast food/chocolate that I am not!

Also, it is important to realize that acne is not caused by a dirty face. If it were, then homeless people would have tons of acne/red marks. Most bums I see have great complexion...

It seems to me that some of us are our own worst enemies. Yeah, some people are able to get clear by certain products, but it seems that some are not (such as myself). If you feel like you have tried everything, I really suggest you give this a shot. I must warn you though-- do not expect FAST results. It may take 2-4 weeks before you notice any change.

However, I have this to say-- I am going on my 6th week of applying NOTHING to my face and my complexion has never been better. Progress is slow, but continuous. One thing I noticed about proactiv and the CSR regimens is that I generally showed great improvement right away, but as time went on, results faded. I think my skin was getting used to it and stopped reacting to it.

Basically the philosophy behind this regimen is this. What happens when you have a scraped knee? If you leave it alone and don't pick at it, it will heal itself. This is how I see acne/red marks-- leave them alone and there is a great chance ur body will correct them on its own. What happens if you rub stuff all over your knee and constanly putting crap on it? I don't know if you have ever done this, but I have-- the healing process seems to take longer!

There very well may be something to this. I'm doing something similar right now with only washing my face with hot water dips and running water in the shower (to rinse off oil) and then the only treatment I'm doing is dietary with one application of 50/50 ACV to my face every other day basically.

Been at it a week so far and while my acne is worse in some ways (more spots) it's better in other ways (nothing overly large or inflammed.)

I'm sticking with this since my largest break-out happened after a week of extremely poor eating but I think not touching your face has a lot to do with it too.

As part of this, if/when my face clears up, I intend to binge myself on fast food and sweets to see if any break-outs happen when the only variable is food.

Time will tell...

Thanks for sharing.

I too am trying this - its tough, my skin does have more marks, but it seems like it is stabilizing.

I stopped using products on my face too but it took me about 2 months to see my face clear up. It was worth the wait though nd my skin just looks better and better now. I had moderate acne when I was using bp and getting some cyst like acne but now my acne and red marks are very very mild! I have one small active spot right now a few months ago I'd have 5 or more on my face everyday. My face was so broken out I didn't leave the house more than 1 or 2 times a week. Now I'm out all the time and I got my life back! Sooner or later most people will have to drop the topicals they don't work forever and it's probably not healthy to put all those chemicals on your face anyway. I save a lot of money now too!

Ok I am at work now, I'll add a few more things--

During the second and third weeks, I didn't see much improvement...HOWEVER, my skin didn't get worse!

Also, some things that inspired me to try this regimen--->

I exercise more than all of my siblings. I also eat the most healthy food out of all of them. I have three brothers who virtually live on fast food... yet have crystal clear complexion. So, if it were to be diet... then there is something they are getting in fast food/chocolate that I am not!

Also, it is important to realize that acne is not caused by a dirty face. If it were, then homeless people would have tons of acne/red marks. Most bums I see have great complexion...

It seems to me that some of us are our own worst enemies. Yeah, some people are able to get clear by certain products, but it seems that some are not (such as myself). If you feel like you have tried everything, I really suggest you give this a shot. I must warn you though-- do not expect FAST results. It may take 2-4 weeks before you notice any change.

However, I have this to say-- I am going on my 6th week of applying NOTHING to my face and my complexion has never been better. Progress is slow, but continuous. One thing I noticed about proactiv and the CSR regimens is that I generally showed great improvement right away, but as time went on, results faded. I think my skin was getting used to it and stopped reacting to it.

Basically the philosophy behind this regimen is this. What happens when you have a scraped knee? If you leave it alone and don't pick at it, it will heal itself. This is how I see acne/red marks-- leave them alone and there is a great chance ur body will correct them on its own. What happens if you rub stuff all over your knee and constanly putting crap on it? I don't know if you have ever done this, but I have-- the healing process seems to take longer!

This is really interesting- my younger sister has never, ever had bad skin (lucky cow) and she never does anything to her face either- the most she will do is very occasionally wear some make up (she doesnt need to, this is perhaps just when she is going for an evening out). She is in her early 20s. I cake on the make up every day to cover up my skin! I also have lots of elaborate cleanising rotines etc with my skin and she never has. I don't think she actually washes her face ever!

The only thing that does worry me is that my Dad did have really bad skin when he was younger and he has confessed to me that he never really did anything more than washing his face a couple of times a week, if that. His acne had cleared up by the time he got to my age though.

I don't know- two contradictory stories from the same family! :think:

I'm trying using some new pruducts from Clinique now and will see how that goes over the next few weeks. This year it will be my mission to get my skin sorted out!!!

My skin looks pretty much awful right now from quitting topicals, but I am sticking it out for as long as I can to see if I see results. I am SO INCREDIBLY sick of changing my diet, avoiding my friends, being insecure around the people who love me, and hating life. Let's hope my skin agrees...

I tried this for a 6 week period. Weeks 3 and 4 were pretty much clear and then huge break-outs came in weeks 5 and worse in week 6. My skin looked really good all the way through in my non traditional problem areas, but the problem areas remained problems. I've decided to focus the regimen just on my chin and front of my neck (problem areas) and leave the rest alone.

I actually tried this last year. I was sick of treating my acne and was curious to see exactly how bad it would get if I quit everything. I had been using topical retinoids for the past 9 months so really my skin didn't break out all that much the first month or two. All hell broke loose and my mild to moderate acne (on topicals) became moderate to severe cystic acne. At one point I was getting 8-10 cysts injected a week.....My derm noticed and prescribed Accutane, which is working pretty well....

I agree that sometimes mild acne doesn't need a "regimen." My fiance gets an occasional zit and has a few clogged pores, but he doesn't do anything to his face. He washes it "when ever he remembers" in the shower with body wash or shampoo (WTF??).......and his skin looks great......but be careful if your acne is mild to moderate while still using topicals.....it may clear up in the beginning only to get much worse.......

I did it all summer too, and it just got worse until I was on accutane the second time. :doubt: My boyfreind is the same way, actually, and that's where I got the idea from-"He has great skin and doesn't do anything to it-barely washes it-so why don't I do the same?" Disaster. What I don't get is my bf's skin is OILY. And he STILL doesn't break out! :think:

Having tried the CSR and EPO I stopped using topicals altogether (since oct 06). Instead I began by taking a small dose of vitamins twice daily, and cut out chocolate almost entirely. After 2-3 weeks my skin had improved markedly, and continued to do so until the last couple of weeks. I'm attributing this to lack of sun more than anything else though. Now I still do get random small red marks, but very rarely get a 'spot', and when I do it is barely inflammed (never whitehead), and lasts 24-48 hours at the most. Without the BP my skin does heal much much quicker too.

I think you might be onto something here... don't tell all the skincare companies, they'll be bummed.

I was reading through a book by Dr. Perricone I think his name was, it was about adult acne, and his theory is that it's caused by unstable blood sugar levels.. basically blood sugar spiking and then rapidly falling, causing some sort of inflammatory reaction in the skin. Since I've always had unstable blood sugar (shakes and headaches when I don't eat every 3 hours or so), and constant battles with acne, I figured he was probably right. I cut sugar out of my diet (except for my morning coffee) and that's helped a ton. Antibiotics helped too, but doesn't seem to be a permanent solution. Also it seems like the more I wash and the more products I use, it makes it worse. I think when I was at my best, I washed only with Dr. Bronner's natural castile soap probably 3-5 times a week. A company called EarthScience also makes a "clarifying herbal astringent" which is very natural and gentle and seems to dry out the zits but provide the right moisture.

Lotions and makeup are a huge no-no, they just clog the pores. Maybe a guy will reply to this and give me a frame of reference, but even my husband said that he doesn't like pimples covered up with makeup. He said to me "Don't cover up pimples with makeup because under the makeup you still can see they are there, just be in your natural skin and it looks better and healthier."

But I do think the "leave the skin the hell alone" regimen is probably one of the best, along with lots of water, vitamins, and enough sleep and staying away from sugar. If I could just break my awful habit of scratching at them, I probably wouldn't have a skin problem at all.

It's harder when you're a woman too, and an older one. No one's going to judge a young guy too seriously for a few zits, but when you're 30 and a woman, other people are really judgemental and that's hard to deal with. I've had two kids and I still only weigh 115 pounds at my 5'3", but I think I'd rather struggle with my weight instead of my skin.

Anybody else out there try the "leave the skin the hell alone" routine? :)