Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kah_lua47

PAYING for Accutane...

So it looks like I'll be heading for Accutane soon but my insurance DOES NOT cover dermatology ;(.. which sucks, being that my only health concern is my acne!! SO I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can make these next 6 months less painful on my pockets??? Cheap health insurance plans? prescription plans?? Anything. I don't see how I will be able to afford paying for accutane [and rent] month by month. Thanks.

So it looks like I'll be heading for Accutane soon but my insurance DOES NOT cover dermatology ;(.. which sucks, being that my only health concern is my acne!! SO I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can make these next 6 months less painful on my pockets??? Cheap health insurance plans? prescription plans?? Anything. I don't see how I will be able to afford paying for accutane [and rent] month by month. Thanks.

As others said, definitely shop around for the med. Make sure your doctor writes the prescription so that any generic may be used by the pharmacy, so you have your choice of the cheapest one.

Ask your dermatologist if you can get your blood work done anywhere you want. This is usually the case since many/most dermatologists dont' draw or do their own blood tests. If you can, get your blood work done at a student, neighborhood or other clinic that serves low income people. Most cities have them and they often charge sliding scale (depending on ability to pay) for blood tests, etc.

Good luck.

heyy..

well here in the US i think it is 1000 dollars a month for accutane.. but you can order it from canada which is 250 a month for 80 mg , that what i started doing. If you are interested, I will be more then pleased to help you.. Just pm me and ill give you all the information

Are you getting Accutane or a generic? Go for the generic to save $$. Shop around and if you're in college I would take out a student loan. The student loan interest are very low compared to banks and you don't have to pay for them until you graduate. Good Luck.

Guest Locked In Grace

That is ridiculous that some people have to pay so much money for a med like Accutane. It costs me AUS$7.10 for two months worth of Roche branded Accutane.

Thanks everyone.. I will definately shop around. I've just been focused on looking for some type of prescription plan or new insurance plan that I didn't even think to look into different pharmacies. So far I got a $300 quote for 40mg..yikes!! There's NO WAY I'll be able to afford that, and I'm sure that I'll be taking more than 40mg being that it is weight-based :(. I think my derm will be prescribing isotretinoin (??) and I've already requested that all lab work be done through my primary doctor and then fwd. to him, so at least I won't have to worry about that bill.

Hah, I'm in the same boat as you pal. :( My insurance thinks acne is "cosmetic." Psh. I got a quote from Wal-Mart for $208 for a month's supply of 40 mg. Pretty cheap compared to some I guess, but still to expensive for me. I'm waiting on a reply from my GP about whether or not my insurance will cover Accutane (I asked him to write a letter to them explaining my situation, a tip I got here on the org). You might try that, good luck!

I'd say ask about generics. I'm paying out of my pocket too. My derm writes me a prescription for 90mg at a time. So for 3 packages of Accutane, I paid $301 Canadian. I'm glad I live here because I don't have to pay for blood tests and derm visits..free healthcare for all..(actually we pay thru our taxes)

try asking your pharmacy if they can send in a request for prior authorization from your derm. my insurance didn't cover acctuane when i filled the perscription, but my pharmacist sent a prior authorization request to my derm. it took me a week for it to get approved [yesterday], but i already bought my accutane [amnesteem] for 320 last week because i couldn't wait and wanted to start as soon as possible. i'm not exactly sure how much it will cost me next month, but i'm sure glad it's not 320 USD.

SO I've OFFICIALLY started my accutane treatment and I took everyones suggestion and started shopping around for the cheapest pharmacy. I ended up with COSTCO - $257/40mg - Amnesteem. I don't remember what walmart quoted me at, but my initial quote from rite aid was $601.. so $257/mth sounded pretty darn good to me. I'll continue to look around though. Do you think it's safe to switch around btwn generics? I think walmart's cheapest was claravis.

SO I've OFFICIALLY started my accutane treatment and I took everyones suggestion and started shopping around for the cheapest pharmacy. I ended up with COSTCO - $257/40mg - Amnesteem. I don't remember what walmart quoted me at, but my initial quote from rite aid was $601.. so $257/mth sounded pretty darn good to me. I'll continue to look around though. Do you think it's safe to switch around btwn generics? I think walmart's cheapest was claravis.

In the UK i saw a private derm and they said i should have tane etc, but privately it would have cost about £3000 so she said to visit her NHS clinic the next day so i went along and she prescribed it for FREE!

Just an idea for anyone struggling to pay...