Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i'm 15 and have had acne since.. oh, i don't know? 10? over the years i've tried almost everything. topical treatments either didn't work or stopped being effective shortly after. i found out two weeks into minocycline that i was severely allergic to it; erythromycin did nothing; birth control didn't seem to improve my skin and made me a raving lunatic. the only thing that's been effective so far is accutane, which i've used twice, the first time for 2 months and the second time for 6 weeks. both times i stopped mid-course because i honestly didn't feel "myself" and started having suicidal thoughts, etc, etc.

right now, i'm starting to get moderate-ish acne again after stopping accutane at the beginning of october.. my face is an oil slick by 10am, and my breakouts don't seem to have any rhyme or reason with regards to my monthly cycle.

anywhoo, i'm really curious about spironolactone. i have a dermatologist appt. for the 15th of january, so i'd be starting then.

the main reason i'm hesitant to take spiro, though, are the side effects i experienced when i was on the bcp.. i took diane-35 around this time last year, and that was a particularly painful time for me thanks to the wicked bad crying spells and mood swings i got.

so my question is, have any of you experienced moodiness on spironolactone? what about OTC? i'm considering trying ortho, maybe i'd have better luck with a different type of bcp?

thanks to anyone who takes the time to read & reply to all this. :D

i'm 15 and have had acne since.. oh, i don't know? 10? over the years i've tried almost everything. topical treatments either didn't work or stopped being effective shortly after. i found out two weeks into minocycline that i was severely allergic to it; erythromycin did nothing; birth control didn't seem to improve my skin and made me a raving lunatic. the only thing that's been effective so far is accutane, which i've used twice, the first time for 2 months and the second time for 6 weeks. both times i stopped mid-course because i honestly didn't feel "myself" and started having suicidal thoughts, etc, etc.

right now, i'm starting to get moderate-ish acne again after stopping accutane at the beginning of october.. my face is an oil slick by 10am, and my breakouts don't seem to have any rhyme or reason with regards to my monthly cycle.

anywhoo, i'm really curious about spironolactone. i have a dermatologist appt. for the 15th of january, so i'd be starting then.

the main reason i'm hesitant to take spiro, though, are the side effects i experienced when i was on the bcp.. i took diane-35 around this time last year, and that was a particularly painful time for me thanks to the wicked bad crying spells and mood swings i got.

so my question is, have any of you experienced moodiness on spironolactone? what about OTC? i'm considering trying ortho, maybe i'd have better luck with a different type of bcp?

thanks to anyone who takes the time to read & reply to all this. :D

You can take spiro alone. The only problem is that it might mess with your periods a bit so be prepared for that. You seem to be sensitive to meds so read up on the side effects of spiro. You must drink lots of water with it. It is not a hormone, it works as an androgen inhibitor. In other words, it lowers the testosterone levels in your body. Many times all those loose androgens in your body is what is causing your acne so when the levels are lowered, you get a good result. How high was your accutane dosage when you tried it?