Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aesthete

trying not to get discouraged

Hi all, I've been reading this boards for a while and I thought I might as well sign up, because I'm sick of talking about it with a) my parents who I know will love me no matter what, or b) with friends because they're all "clear". I've just finished my first semester of college and due to stress from finals, poor food choices (not much choice when you're busy, the dining hall isn't very good), lack of sleep (see finals) and irritating makeup, my skin has gone to hell. I'm not sure if any or all of the previously mentioned factors actually irritated my skin (maybe you could help identify?) I've had acne since I was 12, but this is the worst it's been in a long time.

From what I've been reading, my skin could best be classified as moderate acne. I have lots of papules and pustules and lots and lots of redness. I don't think it's rosacea, but my skin is very oily and my face gets red at every possible opportunity (when I drink, when I work out, when I wash my face). As for my treatment history, I've used pretty much every drug except accutane (this includes tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline, retin-a, benzaclin, etc. most of the traditional ones) as well as the informercial products (ProActiv and most recently, Murad, which are both terrible for me.) I suppose another reason my skin might've gotten so bad was because I stopped using Murad after Thanksgiving--so it might be a withdrawal symptom. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm DONE with prescription and non-prescription drugs, and I'm even hesitant to go on BP because I don't want my skin to get dependent on it... I've become a big fan of natural remedies.

For the past few days I'm trying to let my skin "breathe" (hair pulled back, no makeup, nothing--because it ran out and because it was really bad makeup. I was using Estee Lauder's concealer and liquid foundation). It's just difficult to go anywhere without feeling self-conscious, especially now that I might bump into people I know >.< And now that I have no makeup, I have nothing to hide behind... I'm not confident enough to just stroll out there by myself with no coverage. The other day we had a family friend stay for dinner and the first thing he said to me in a very gentle tone was, "Your acne looks about as bad as my daughter's." Ok that's nice, and I know you mean well, but do you HAVE to mention it out loud? :(

So now that the New Year is around the corner I thought I'd start anew with some things, mainly...

1) stop eating garbage in the dining hall (I might have to limit myself to salads and the vegan section)

2) buy better makeup. I've settled on Everyday Minerals for their foundation and blush, plus Jane Iredale's Disappear-Camouflage for the coverage

3) a good, gentle skin regimen

The last one is the one I need help on... for now I'm using this astringent thing made only from Chinese herbs to replace the bp (it smells terrible but it's working). I use an aloe-vera mask daily and an oatmeal and honey mask weekly. I also have Vitamin E that I sometimes put on my face to try to reduce the redness. Is there anything I'm currently using that may be bad for my skin? I figure you guys would probably know.

I need a good cleanser and moisturizer, and I've read this boards several times and I seem to be reading very conflicting opinions. For cleanser I already own Dove's Gentle Exfoliating Facial Cleanser. What is the opinion on this? As for moisturizer I have noooo clue. The best I've read so far is Lac-hydrinl, but I would really want something not irritating the skin. I thought about Dove's deep moisture facial lotion with spf or Burt's Bees beeswax creme, but I'm open to anything at this point. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance, I'm trying really hard not to get discouraged, which usually leads to me making lists like this one. I honestly believe I have the worst combination of skin possible - very sensitive and very oily!

It looks like you are making things more complicated than they are.

Just look into Dan Kern's regimen and forget all the other herbal BS.

It looks like you are making things more complicated than they are.

Just look into Dan Kern's regimen and forget all the other herbal BS.

werd.