Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-SJ-

Okay,I've Been Breaking Out HORRIBLY Lately (PIC)

Okay so here's the deal. I am a 20 year old black male with a medium complexion, and I have been having problems with acne and the hyperpigmentations they leave for about 5 years now. I recently visited the dermatologist less than a month ago to get some treatments,and she gave me 4% Hydroquinone cream, Clindamyacin Phosphate foam, and Dynacin antibiotic pills for the acne (I bought the generic version called Minocycline,though). But I have been getting these acne breakouts on my cheeks for about 5 years,and lately they've been pretty bad. Currently my left cheek looks horrible:

pdr183ah2.jpg

my right one isn't as bad,but it's got some discolorations and pimples too.

I know it's a bad quality pic (my digi-cam is acting funny lately), but a couple of those brown spots don't look like hyperpigmented areas. Instead they look like slightly indented scabs that are split in half.

So I guess my main question is will this regimen work? I'm especially wondering about the brown scab-like spots. I've been on it for less than a month admittedly,and the results aren't too noticeable yet.

I haven't been on it so I can't help but I just don't want you to get discouraged by lack of replies. It's just been slow here the past few days.

I know tons of people who have been on it and they think it's wonderful.

You will probably experience some dry skin though.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

The hydroquinone is a bleaching agent which is supposed to help with the dark spots, and the other two medications are antibiotics.

You should see some improvement hopefully. Give it time though.

When is your followup appointment? If you aren't seeing any improvement by then, just talk to your derm about your concerns.

Well my next appointment is early March,but I may up it to late February if this keeps up.

Also,any recommendations on what to use for the scabby brown spots? I don't see hydroquinone working on those.

just give it time. On your next appointment, you might ask your derm about a chemical peel or something, that can get rid of dark spots quicker than waiting on topicals to work.

Okay so here's the deal. I am a 20 year old black male with a medium complexion, and I have been having problems with acne and the hyperpigmentations they leave for about 5 years now. I recently visited the dermatologist less than a month ago to get some treatments,and she gave me 4% Hydroquinone cream, Clindamyacin Phosphate foam, and Dynacin antibiotic pills for the acne (I bought the generic version called Minocycline,though). But I have been getting these acne breakouts on my cheeks for about 5 years,and lately they've been pretty bad. Currently my left cheek looks horrible:

pdr183ah2.jpg

my right one isn't as bad,but it's got some discolorations and pimples too.

I know it's a bad quality pic (my digi-cam is acting funny lately), but a couple of those brown spots don't look like hyperpigmented areas. Instead they look like slightly indented scabs that are split in half.

So I guess my main question is will this regimen work? I'm especially wondering about the brown scab-like spots. I've been on it for less than a month admittedly,and the results aren't too noticeable yet.

I don't know how helpful this will be, but in case you're interested in sharing notes -- I tried hydroquinone very briefly once, and it really irritated my skin. I have sensitive skin though, so if you don't then it might be less of a problem. Anyway, didn't use it long enough to see any results because it was just too much for me. I take Solodyn (extended release minocycline) and am starting to see results, but it was over two months before I started to notice a positive difference. I'm also using Differin nightly, which I think helps with the relatively new hyper-pigmented spots -- but again, it takes a while to kick in and that's frustrating. Although I'm finally on the upswing of things, I'm going on Accutane in a week because I'm sick of the cycle of breaking out, taking forever to get things under control, thinking things are resolved, repeat cycle. Have you thought about talking to your dermatologist about Accutane? It'd mean that you'd have to put off any scar treatment for a while, but at least you'd have a good shot at staving off new marks. Anyway -- hope that helps and good luck!

Nah,Accutane is NOT an option at all. I'm on several medications for various health issues,and I don't want to risk things with Accutane if I don't have to. The acne always goes away after a while,it's just SLOW sometimes and so are the hyperpigmented spots.

I'm going to call the dermatologist next week for sure and reschedule an earlier appointment. I just hope this stuff works in the meantime,because I'm sick of struggling with this stuff. :/

You seem to have cystic acne my friend and your best option is Accutane! But you said you can't do it. What health probs you got and what medicines are you taking? Have you asked your derm if you can take accutane although you have other health problems and taking other meds right now? I know as long as your liver and cholesterol is good, you can take accutane and no accutane will 99% NOT damage you!

Long story short I was diagnosed with Juvenille Dermatomyositis (JDMS) at age 8,and it attacks the immune system primarily. Through a turn of events I was put on a medication for it that gave me high blood pressure a few years back as well.

The medications I take are:

-Toprol XL (for the blood pressure)

-Benicar (also for blood pressure)

-Methotrexate (for the JDMS)

-Zofran (for the nausea from the JDMS)

but like I said, Accutane is out of the question for the most part. That picture sort of amplifies the blemishes from what I see in the mirror,anyway. I've had cystic-like acne before and it has gone away,but it often takes a bit longer.

If you guys could also recommend me some good store-bought products for acne and hyperpigmentations,that'd help. But I'll probably just stick with the doctor's orders if no one can.

Yeah,I think I'm just being impatient and wanting results IMMEDIATELY,but I know it can't be like that. But I'm just wondering why I've been breaking out more since I've been on this stuff...I think it's from when I was rubbing that Egyptian Magic Cream on my face a while back...that stuff is VERY oily,and I was a bit leery about it from the start,but people were saying that it didn't cause them to break out despite the oilyness,but I think it did for me. :/

Anyway,about the little brown and slightly hollowed scab marks,those aren't acne scars,are they? I had one in the exact same spot,it eventually become a pimple and went down,and then the scab-like brown spot came back again and it's still there. What the heck is it? I'm hoping it's not an acne scar. :/

Well I'm sorry about your problems but once again did your derm tell it's not safe to go on accutane because of your health problems or is that your opinion? All accutane will do is give you some dryness and such...so if you haven't asked your derm yet, do it.

hey SJ, i am a black female and that pic is lookin mighty familiar, as i have had my own bouts with cystic acne. i tell you though, the antibiotics should help with the infection and inflammation in your face. trust your doc, and give it some time. instant gratification has never been the name of the game in the battle against acne. sorry, hun...

but as for the bleaching agent that the doc has given you, my doc suggested to me that i get the active acne under control before trying to lighten any spots. i have hyperpigmentation as well, and i have cried over it at night in the past. trust me, i know all too well... but continue taking the meds the doc prescribed and using a gentle but acne fighting skin care line. my face is really clearing up, so the dark spots are fading on their own right now as the active acne diminishes. and keep your hands off of your face! critical with cystic acne. sometimes it hurts and you just wanna stand in the mirror and pretend your hands were magic wands that could wipe it all away. but, their not. touching and picking makes it worse. handle the spots later. get the acne under control now.

give it time, and good luck.

Accutane was NOT an option for me either, until i can'y deal with acne anymore and i was turning 20 at the time, too tired of being alone and too shy to talk to girls because of severe acne. So i took the risk and took accutane, none severe side effects and i was clear for 6 months until now i'm breaking out mildy and not so oily at all, it was definitely worth it. I'm not saying all this to convince you to take accutane, but it can always be a last resort !

hey SJ, i am a black female and that pic is lookin mighty familiar, as i have had my own bouts with cystic acne. i tell you though, the antibiotics should help with the infection and inflammation in your face. trust your doc, and give it some time. instant gratification has never been the name of the game in the battle against acne. sorry, hun...

but as for the bleaching agent that the doc has given you, my doc suggested to me that i get the active acne under control before trying to lighten any spots. i have hyperpigmentation as well, and i have cried over it at night in the past. trust me, i know all too well... but continue taking the meds the doc prescribed and using a gentle but acne fighting skin care line. my face is really clearing up, so the dark spots are fading on their own right now as the active acne diminishes. and keep your hands off of your face! critical with cystic acne. sometimes it hurts and you just wanna stand in the mirror and pretend your hands were magic wands that could wipe it all away. but, their not. touching and picking makes it worse. handle the spots later. get the acne under control now.

give it time, and good luck.

Always good to hear from another black person about this topic (not that other races can't contribute as well,but I'm talking on an empathy level). Did you get the little tough brown scab-like marks on your face as well? If so,how did you deal with those?

@ ..... - I'm going to wait and see what my doctor says. I'm still going to try and avoid Accutane the best I can,though.

BUMP. Okay so the pimples are going down SLOWLY, but now they're leaving the hyperpigmented spots that look more like scabs than simply dark spots. What should I apply to these? The hydroquinone as well? Or something like Neosporin?

SJ, sooooo.... quit with the hydroquinone already. i mean, this is just a suggestion, and also a recommendation to me from my own dermatologist (who sees about 50% of her clientele as dark skinned folks). take care of the acne before the marks. it's hard, i know, but let's give it a whirl...

whenever i got scabs instead of just the dark spots from hyperpigmentation, i was picking at the pimple. i even had a clever way of fooling myself into thinking that i WASN'T pickin with my face, by like, washing really hard with a washcloth, or steaming the hell out of my face and then smearing creams on too hard... so are you picking with your face? if so, stop it! try only washing your face with your hands and lukewarm water. no scrubbing, no picking. you may even have to lay off the exfoliants for a while. seems like your face needs to HEAL a bit before trying too much correction. rushing it will only make it worse. believe me...

find a GOOD skin care line. you don't HAVE to buy expensive if it works on your skin. i know that i personally could not use the store brands anymore, the clean and clears, neutrogenas, oil of olays. they were too drying and did not compliment my skin at all (plus i have this theory that some of the cheaper brands do not test on black skin types... just a theory).

anyway, try healing your skin with the skin care line and the meds your doc gives you and ALWAYS use a sunscreen. this keeps the dark spots from getting darker. you sound like you need to be on an antibiotic if you have cystic acne. talk to your derm about what would be best with your current arsenal of meds for your other existing conditions.

i also take a vitamin a supplement every day. this cuts down on the oil production of my skin, and kinda avoids the whole accutane deal (in my opinion, as accutane is like super duper vitamin a). give it all a try for some time. YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT TIME. couple months maybe. that's the only way you know what's workin.

hope this helps.

Yeah,it does help. Thanks. :D

As of lately, the acne is dying down, and now I am mainly left with the dark spots and the scab-like spots that are rough in texture. To answer your question, some of the scabs have been in places where I picked at the pimple or pressed a towel on it too much,but not all of them have been.

A couple of the scabby spots just don't seem to want to go away,though. :/

I rescheduled my derm appointment to be toward the end of next month instead of the start of March,so that's good. If I can just get rid of the acne and keep it from coming back as well as get rid of the spots,I'll be set.

I'll try the stuff you listed,too. Thanks. :D