Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

Tape Method of Peeling - Cheap and Effective for RED MARKS!!

Hi! I tried the take method for about 2 weeks, and I've noticed some improvements in my red marks.

Of course, I don't know if this is psychological, or if my skin would have healed like this normally. But... what can I say... my red marks are getting better!

Anyone else have any feedback on this method? What were your results?

Oh... and I've also tried some sunless tanner lotion. This kind of helps because my skin is light, so it helps to lessen the darkness of the red spots.

Will this tape thing really help? I have deep red acne marks left from my acne. I have these marks for almost 6 months already. Do you think these marks will ever go away?

it does help exfoliate the skin taking off many dead skin cells which would seem to only make ur skin try and keep up producing newer....time will heal the dark spots but taping may help shorten the time (not a crazy amount but...) aha peels seem to be more effective for everyone but i still tape...

I have to say Maya, you seem to be quite the master of unconventional treatments. I read that thread about the vinegar, was very suspicious at first, but must say that it has worked and have seen big improvements after only a few days. Have never had really severe acne, but the redness that the acne left afterwards always made it look more severe. Most of this is now gone!!

I also thought I would be left with scars when my face eventually cleared up, but can see now that my skin is really smooth where I thought there was scarring. Thansk alot Maya :D

Going also to give this scotch tape thing a try :(

Keep on being a great inspiration and motivator for everyone Maya!!

Thanks anno :( - yeah - I guess I've always been keen on finding unconventional ways to deal with problems - sometimes, something cheap can be more effective than some bottled potion that costs a lot of money.

It makes me happy that so many people have tried and had success with the tape and vinegar methods - they obviously aren't going to help too much for people with deep scarring, but every little bit helps - and these cheaper methods are so effective for some of the shallower scars.

Unfortunately, I am unable to do the tape method myself these days because I am getting all sorts of surgical procedures on my face to deal with my deeper scars - but when that's all over (another few months) - I will upkeep my skin with tape and vinegar!

Okay, after the raves about the taping method I went out and bought a better Scotch tape (the cheap stuff does NOT work for this even if it is good for wrapping presents!) and have done it for a few days.

My question is (for all you expert tapers out there) is it possible to overtape? I did my nose and it turned bright red (we are talking Rudolph here) for several hours and still wasn't back to normal color even this am although it was not quite as alarming as yesterday. Was this from the taping (I did go over some really flaky areas a few times) or from using witch hazel after the taping??

Grrrrrrrrr, now I'm back to feeling self-conscious and I told my kids I'd pick them up from school today. :D Oh well, at least I'm trying something, lol.

~nancy

Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow." -The Talmud

Nancy - yes, you can over tape. The trick is to try alternate days first ( I know.. it's addictive once you get started!) and not go over the same area more than twice. Keep the over taped area well moisterised.

Hmmmmm, thanks for info. You are so right about the addictive part....when you see the flakes coming off on the tape....well, you just wanna get them all, lol.

~nancy

Just want to bump this - I can't use it because of invasive scar procedures now.. but it does work.

Maya

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the taping thread - after having done it for just three days now it has evened out my complexion, stopped my breakouts and bizarrely it seems to be making my existing red marks heal faster than before, it has to be the taping as my regime hasn't changed other than that - I am actually in awe of the difference that it has made, I'm sure my flatmate is wondering what the sound coming from the bathroom is but its working and I am very happy. I'm looking forward to getting my PureDeming gel to combine with this new method.

Thanks again - who would have thought something so simple could be so effective - I wonder how many derms and doctors out there are telling their patients to do this, rather than just prescribing expensive topicals, makes me wonder why its taken me 15 years to hear about it....

Hey Mikka - thanks for the feedback.

You know what? I think this tape method is as effective as any other good exfoliation method.. it's unfortunate that I can't use this for the next 6-9 months or so because I am having invasive procedures done to my face (and I can't take the risk of scabs falling too soon). I will start using this method again when my scars are fixed - I think it works not just for red marks but for a good smooth compexion too.

I don't think derms would make much money if they were to sell their patients a roll of tape! He he..

if it wasnt for scars i would have only 5 spots on my face right now, but iv got scars symetrically up both sides of my face.

i could cope with the acne im getting, not usually more than 5 spots, if only the scars were gone, so this taping thing, how effective is it? im very interested, cos it just sounds so easy n v cheap.

plus vinegar makes me puke up blegh.

do u tape over present acne? n how much taping should you actually do?

Guest Tracy
I don't think derms would make much money if they were to sell their patients a roll of tape! He he..

Guest agentx

Hey, Maya or Tracy ... cud u tell me if its advisable to use the tape method to get rid of my red marks one month after finishing accutane? Or should i wait a few more months? Also if not the tape method wat can i use right now to get rid of these red marks? Vita K? or somethin

Appreciated!

CheerS!

Guest Tracy
Hey, Maya or Tracy ... cud u tell me if its advisable to use the tape method to get rid of my red marks one month after finishing accutane? Or should i wait a few more months? Also if not the tape method wat can i use right now to get rid of these red marks? Vita K? or somethin

Appreciated!

CheerS!

I have a simple question regarding this topic though:

I'm 15 and never had acne until about 5 weeks ago I had this big red pimple which left a red mark, so how exactly do this tape method work to reduce the discoloration? Forgive me for sounding short as I'm quite new to skincare methods, but how can sticking tape onto the area then lifting it off again make the skin smoother and lighter?

Guest Tracy

Yvonne,

It's like a slight peel. So whenever you lift the tape off, all the old discolored skin is lifted off taking the top layers of the scars/redmarks with it (more quickly than if you waited for your skin to exfoliate on its own) and revealing fresher skin underneath. Hope that helps.

hi! Maya, I'm a 20 yr old guy,. Asian, but have fair skin. I've found about this site because of a search in google, and i'm glad to hear bout this method.... sounds crazy, but hope it works... I've tried it for almost 1 week,,, but i've noticed that scars are more prominent and seems to have getting darker... or it's just my imagination? Is this natural? or it's just a phase???? Another is,,,, How long will I ever to see dramatic results... Before applying my AHA's, i'm doing the taping every night. biggrin.gif/

It seems to work differently on different people - the important thing is to moisterise and use sunscreen after.

I called my plastic surgeon/ derm's office on this tape thing and they told me it's dangerous and rubbish. In fact, my derm's aesthetician told me to buy something called Vit C Serum along with a microdermabrasion package ($700 for 6 sessions). She told me that is the only new thing they found that would help with red marks/ scarring.

She said using tape will rip off my skin and destroy any healing collagen. sad.gif I dunno, I just bought a pricey cream (TNS cream) from her and am out until next payday.

Someone help!! Which is right??

I would never do the tape thing to my face. I agree, it sounds like rubbish...If I have flakey skin, I use a mild astringent and then moisturize.

As for the cream, it's probably decent stuff, but keep in mind, they were trying to sell you something.